Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

Prince Harry the Nazi

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/01/12/harry-nazi050112.html

LONDON - Prince Harry apologized wednesday night for wearing a Nazi's Soldier's uniform to a costume party Saturday, calling it "A poor choice in costume."

I'm sure most people have heard about this. It has to be the funniest thing I've seen all year. So close to the holocaust rememberance day as well. I mean really, what did he expect to happen to him by wearing that outfit? Sure, John Cleese got away with it, but Prince Harry's no John Cleese.

He's just a clueless kid whose poor judgement is being used by cynical journalists to sell their shitty newspapers. IOW business as usual.

I know, who gives a damn. He was at a costume party, and Harry's already known to be a bit of a party animal, so this is just another overhyped piece of nothing.

I still laugh at all the outrage in the international community this is causing. A few Jewish and German organizations are lapping it up and screaming like babies about it, and since it was a Nazi "uniform," it pretty much managed to make everyone in the world cry, or at least spout conspiracy theories about Nazis and the Royal Family.....I shake my head, but I chuckle at it.

I read a short column in my newspaper about it, then moved on. Didn't think it was worth my attention.

Grazza said:

He's just a clueless kid...

Indeed he is. And we've all been to a fancy dress party where someone goes as the comedy Nazi. Hell, I've done it myself. Every costume hirer has a few such costumes. Harry was born 40 years after the war ended - it has little impact on his life.

But he isn't just any clueless kid. He's a clueless kid who is in line for the throne and represents the monarch of a country that was at war with the Nazis. A great many of whose population were killed, tortured or persecuted by the Nazis. His grandmother is going to be opening an exhibition about the Nazi holocaust very soon. It was poor judgement. He may be a clueless kid but he also has the job and the responsibility of making better decisions than that - whether he likes it or not.

All that being said, I find it to be less his fault than those around him. He is just a 20 year-old clueless kid, but those around him are not. Where were his advisors, his aides? What was the store keeper thinking? What about the people accompanying him? Did none of them think to say - "hang on a minute sir"? Are you really telling me Harry and William went off down their local high street, hired a costume, put it on and wandered off to a party on their own without someone else seeing them before a journalist/photographer did?

Grazza said:

He's just a clueless kid whose poor judgement is being used by cynical journalists to sell their shitty newspapers. IOW business as usual.

Exactly...

David Bowie said:

There's a brand new dance but I don't know its name
That people from bad homes do again and again
It's big and it's bland full of tension and fear
They do it over there but we don't do it here

Fashion! Turn to the left
Fashion! Turn to the right
Oooh, fashion!
We are the goon squad and we're coming to town
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Listen to me - don't listen to me
Talk to me - don't talk to me
Dance with me - don't dance with me, no
Beep-beep

There's a brand new talk, but it's not very clear
Oh bop
That people from good homes are talking this year
Oh bop, fashion
It's loud and tasteless and I've heard it before
Oh bop
You shout it while you're dancing on the ole dance floor
Oh bop, fashion

Fashion! Turn to the left
Fashion! Right
Fashion!
We are the goon squad and we're coming to town
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Listen to me - don't listen to me
Talk to me - don't talk to me
Dance with me - don't dance with me, no
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

There's a joke in there somewhere. A very subtle one.

The article said:

"All of Europe has suffered because of the crimes of the Nazis, so it would be logical for Nazi symbols to be banned all over Europe,"

Wow, the war only happened 65 years ago - that's a good response time you got going there.

So does that mean all historical evidence of the Nazis, or any collector's items from the war be destroyed?

Didnt his brother just get arrested for funding a coup in Africa?

I don't care if some kid dresses as a Nazi. It's tasteless and it's downright rude to every jew in existence, but heck, I wouldn't put it on the front page.

But this isn't some kid. For a start, he's twenty years old. Twenty. That's not a kid. I'm seventeen and I wouldn't be stupid enough to do it.

Secondly, he's royalty. The amount of ways this could be seen as endorsing hate crimes is ridiculous. He's a role model.

He has the kind of responsibility that means he should *not* be doing anything that might offend his people. He could one day be the king of England and he's flaunting torture, mass killings and other war crimes on the front page of the tabloids, he'd be stupid to think it'd go unnoticed.

This act was stupid and it was negligent. It's shameful that a royal could do something like this.

Wobbo said:

Didnt his brother just get arrested for funding a coup in Africa?

You sure this isn't Thatcher's son you're talking about here?

Yeah, he better get a costume of Bin Laden, isn't it?
If you were far closer to the insidents with Nazis (lived with them, not only fought against them) you'd act diferent.