Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maggot_army

strife questions

i was just able to get my hands on a copy of strife, and im using zdoom 2 play it, and i notices some really cool things id like 2 add in my wads. i notices there was rails that had actual heights that u could jump over and animated doors. im using edge for editing though, and i wanted to know how easy it would be to add these to my wad, or if you can add them at all. any help would be appreciated, thanks

The animated doors can be done easily with ACS(look at enjays marine assault). As for the 3d collisions on railings can be a pain to do. Eternity has a special flag for it and easily supports them, but in ZDoom(or any other port), you have to do the "invisible platform" trick, on in Zdoom use a ton of invisible bridges(can cause lag).

MasterOFDeath said:

The animated doors can be done easily with ACS.

If you use ZDoom you don't have to hack around for the animated doors. The Strife feature is directly available for Doom and you can freely define the door animation.

But this was about EDGE and I don't think EDGE supports this kind of door effect.

EDGE probably can do that with RTS, and the railings can most likely be done aswell, I'm sure EDGE supports Booms deepwater effect. or atleast have an invisible 3d floor definition you can use. I suggest you ask Marc Pullen (http://www.fanaticalproductions.net) about that. As he is the godfather of EDGE editing.

thanks for the help, ill have to learn how to use rts, i know the basic of edge now, like the deep water and stuff, ill have 2 check that link for the animated doors.

Edge can do the usual Doom doors(opens vertically) and also horizontally ones. You can also assign an animated texture to the Door: Is that the effect you're after?

What exactly is so special about Strifes Doors? I'm afraid I haven't played Strife in years so my memory needs refreshing...

Anyway, if this is an EDGE-specific question, why don't you ask it at the EDGE forums?

Lobo said:

What exactly is so special about Strifes Doors? I'm afraid I haven't played Strife in years so my memory needs refreshing...

Strife has a door type that plays a texture animation for opening and closing those doors instead of just raising the ceiling or moving a texture.

kristus said:

Yes, much like the ones in Descent. But the ones in Strife is a bit better.

System Shock also has animated Doors. IMO, they are quite easy to make (the graphics for the doors).