Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

Wads that make you question if you're still playing DOOM

With the advent of Zdoom, Doomsday, and other ports, authors now have the ability to mold Doom into whatever kind of game they want - or atleast so it seems. List the wads that you think push Doom source ports to their outer limits. And I'm not talking limit-removing, I'm saying stuff that makes you go "That's doom?"

Off the top of my head:
Doom3 to Doom2 conversion
Zdoom E1 Remake
This cool map - http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=showshot&wad=474&shot=1
Doom Ressurection

and there's a ton more, obviously. I know I've seen a bunch of Doomsday projects that look really cool but their names escape me.

Massmouth. Whoo. Marc Pullen's unfinished Castle.wad from the EDGE site makes me wonder if maybe I'm playing Myst by mistake, and then there's QDoom, Equinox with Extreme Measures...

But I haven't played Zan-Zan. Should I?

Aliens TC, Osiris, Equinox, Hacx, Chex Quest, QDoom, Grove, Nemisis, Arctic Research Center, Doom Resurrection, TQTrust, ZomHeart, System Vices, Massmas, Void, S.Q.W.I.R.E.L., PacDoom2, Copenhagen Central Station, Unholy Trinity, Phoenix, Deus Ex Machina, Sky May Be(!), Ana's Dream. Also some of Bryant Robinson's stuff for Vavoom.

A lot of those are non-port (or not port-specific), but I don't think port features are essential to get a "That's Doom?" feeling.

Someone should ask Edmundo about the right to make an updated version of ZanZan to the latest GL version of Zdoom.

Linguica said:

zanzan the end thread over

fuck yes. i would sell your soul for a sequel.

Aliens TC
Hacx
Zan Zan
Doomsday with MD2 models.
Doom64
Batman
Twice Risen
and most of my own wads.

Chosen by LilWhiteMouse.

An Egyptian setting, female main character, none of the weapons obviously from Doom, none of the enemies obviously from doom, boss battles, health bars, a barge sailing down a lava river, a huge snake boss who is defeated due to level interactivity, hi-res sprites, mod-music, a story...

Doom2 Xtreme was just a mishmash of resources ripped from everywhere, even the levels were ripps. Some even came from TNT-Evilution.

kristus said:

Someone should ask Edmundo about the right to make an updated version of ZanZan to the latest GL version of Zdoom.

current ZDoomgl doesn't support MD2s, though I believe it's planned for the future

I did upload a zip containing all necessary files needed to play ZanZan a while back though, including the old-ass version of ZDoomGL (0.66 or something).

Also I give a third vote for Chosen, another for Batman Doom and another for Action Doom even though I worked on it (but I only scripted; Scuba made all the maps)

There are different ways to look at that question.
Either list wads that are so beautiful that you think it can't be DooM anymore.
But those wads are for sourceports that in themself are quite far from DooM i.m.o.

I choose to interpret the question with the spotlight on gameplay.
There are only a few wads that have such outstanding gameplay
that it can be compared with games that came years after DooM.
Out of that selected few, only two comes to mind.
Those wads are according to me (in no particular order)
Aliens TC and Immoral Conduct.

Enjay said:

Chosen by LilWhiteMouse.

An Egyptian setting, female main character, none of the weapons obviously from Doom, none of the enemies obviously from doom, boss battles, health bars, a barge sailing down a lava river, a huge snake boss who is defeated due to level interactivity, hi-res sprites, mod-music, a story...

Amen to *that*. Shame Mouse has a low self-esteem re her mapping skill.

TheDarkArchon said:

Amen to *that*. Shame Mouse has a low self-esteem re her mapping skill.

Hehe, don't You know that POWER grows in weakness?
But I agree with the sentence.
That Mouse is the queen of Zdoom mods.

Praise da Queen, dirty dogs! :rock: