Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigBearBurp

strain full version

I've seen S.T.R.A.I.N in 5 chunks. Any chance of someone posting the full version (assuming no altered.EXE needed) so that other Doomers might get a chance to play it

thanks
BBB

Get the ZIP from the /idgames archives, extract everything to a directory and then start 'install . .' in that directory and you will have what you need.

But it would still be a good idea to re-upload it as a 'normal' ZIP with the WAD directly in it.

Graf Zahl said:

But it would still be a good idea to re-upload it as a 'normal' ZIP with the WAD directly in it.

Yeah, especially for the older wads that you have to install. That's a pretty good idea, especially for people who just want to try the wad real quick and not have to deal with anything.

In case you're still confused, the "chunks", when added together, make the whole thing that you need. It's just that when STRAIN was first released, it was cut up in this way so that it would fit on floppy disks.

BigBearBurp said:

(assuming no altered.EXE needed)

Note that the dehacked patch (strain.deh) is essential for STRAIN to work at all. If you use just strain.wad, then things will be totally haywire.

If you use it with a port, you'll need to load the deh together with the wad (NB: don't run strain.bat).

If you want to use it with Doom2.exe, then you'll need to allow the installer to create a new executable (it calls it strnhack.exe), and use that instead of Doom2.exe.

also, don't let map02 and map03 discourage you. Just focus to get through them and then it'll be great. :)

yes, it would be nice if someone were to post the "together" version, especially for those of us not running Doom on a PC. I am in the process of getting a PC, but for now, I'm using something else, hence the posting

JB