Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Retox

Linux WAD editor

Yeah.. uh.. It would be nice if there were any information at all on the site besides that it's a "wad editor".

XWadEd won't include map editing, right? (Yadex has that fairly well covered).

Your FindLumpsTypesAndGroups() method looks very good. The check for flats being 64*65 was surprising, where do they come from?

This will be a very useful tool, something I've wanted to see in Linux for a long time. Actually this could be useful in Windows too as a F/OSS version of WinTex. Compiling FLTK 1.1 library and apps in Windows is not too hard, but maybe you don't want to think about that at this early stage? :-D

At least in first stage there won't be map editing.

64x65 and 64x128 size flats are used by Heretic and Hexen because of the way Raven implemented scrolling of flats (they shifted pointer to graphic so they needed extra data).

I like it.

One of the things which keeps me from migrating completely to Linux is the lack of good Doom editing tools.

The bad thing about Yadex is that user interface is not very user friendly and it totaly lacks support for Hexen format maps.

You can run some of the Windows tools with Wine. Wintex, WinDEU and DeepSea work relatively well. WadAuthor works, but you have to disable thing pixmaps or it'll crash.

BTW I was lately messing around with Yadex source code and started adding user interface with FLTK library.

Retox said:

BTW I was lately messing around with Yadex source code and started adding user interface with FLTK library.

Wow. That's exactly something I've been on-the-verge of doing (attempting) for a while now. As you probably know, there is both the X interface and a crusty BGI (DOS) interface, so the back-end is fairly well separated. How did your efforts go?

I started with thing properties dialog. The only problem is that FLTK window is closed when another FLTK window is opened or you exit application. But having main form in FLTK will fix this.

As of BGI/DOS stuff, it was removed completely. I also implemeted drawing with OpenGL, it works fine, only the highlighted object is not cleared as you move the mouse, so you must do something that redraws the map to get fresh view.

BTW I also implemented working Hexen support.

Retox said:

BTW I also implemented working Hexen support.

Cool. Any chance of getting a copy? (a patch file would be ideal). I could stick it on my Yadex patch page, and maybe it will be incorporated into the yadex codebase sometime.