Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Christianity in Action

"Rage and fury has gripped this tsunami-hit tiny Hindu village in India's southern Tamil Nadu after a group of Christian missionaries allegedly refused them aid for not agreeing to follow their religion... Jubilant at seeing the relief trucks loaded with food, clothes and the much-needed medicines the villagers, many of who have not had a square meal in days, were shocked when the nuns asked them to convert before distributing biscuits and water. Heated arguments broke out as the locals forcibly tried to stop the relief trucks from leaving. The missionaries, who rushed into their cars on seeing television reporters and the cameras refusing to comment on the incident and managed to leave the village. Disappointed and shocked into disbelief the hapless villagers still await aid."

haha, those whacky christians.

Man thats some pretty awesomely bad stuff. CONVERT OR DIE NON-BELIEVERS! Crusades, anyone?

So they refused to give aid to people in dire need of it because they weren't Christian? And Christians wonder why so many people paint them as callous nutballs.

Ugh... Why the hell does it matter what you call your god? When will "Christians" figure that out? *sigh* I really hate that people like me get lumped into the same category as people like them. Honestly...

A Christisn is the new "uppity nigger", I suppose. And those of us who act reasonably, complaining about getting "lumped" makes us the Uncle Toms.

I guess that's what happens when you don't keep it real and condemn non-believers.

Snarboo said:

And Christians wonder why so many people paint them as callous nutballs.

I don't.

In most cases, I don't either. However, this is something you do see certain Christians sects and organizations doing very often: they offer aid, but at a price, and sometimes not at all if you don't convert. I think that's callous. I guess that's better than blowing up a religion they don't agree with instead, but I don't think so. Especially when they think the Tsunami was justified because the people in southeast Asia are immoral, Godless heathens. When people are need of aid after a disaster, they don't need aid from being a "hedonistac bastard".

heh, God's little disciples clean up after God's little tsunami.

Not only do the heathens not get cash, but they also get to burn in the eternal fires of hell. Access: Denied. When you think about it, these guys are following the bible's methods pretty much spot on.

I know it's both fun and easy to generalize, but try differentiating between denominational Christians and the ones that are closer to the truth (i.e. those who don't waste their time with pride-related rifts in interpretation and sect wars). Believe me, once you cut out all the bullshit rituals and politics, you'll find something that appears a lot more genuine.

Job said:

Believe me, once you cut out all the bullshit rituals and politics, you'll find something that appears a lot more genuine.

You mean like, picking through the bible and believing what you want when it's convenient is genuine?

Oh, is that what he said?
Wait, no, he said something completely different.
But you can believe whatever's convenient for you.

Man, I understand the Bible is full of absolute crap, believe me, but is it really necessary to simply judge an entire religion based on that? There are also some really good things in there, too. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water. But apparently people seem to have this view that it has to be perfect, or else it's meaningless. Well, unfortunately, anything messed with by people is imperfect, and it's kinda hard to have anything, including the Bible, which was not messed with by people (SOMEBODY had to write it down, even if you believe it was dictated by God himself, which it probably wasn't - God would have done a MUCH better job and wouldn't have contradicted Himself so much). Does this mean we just give up altogether? I see no reason why we have to abandon all hopes of improving the moral quality of society simply because we have no direct contact with the Creator. And by moral quality, I mean universal morals, such as equality, brotherhood, that kind of thing, that ALL people can live by, not the so-called "morals" perpetrated by the Christian Right, such as homosexuality being considered a sin and the like.

Quast said:

You mean like, picking through the bible and believing what you want when it's convenient is genuine?

The basis of Roman Catholicism.

Quast said:

Hmm. No. I was thinking of something more along the lines of reading the bible in order to interpret it as closely as possible to what may be understood to be the truth while avoiding hypocrisy as well as gross conflicts of truth. The mainstream denominations, as a majority of us know it, are rife with dissumulating views of biblical teachings as well as diametrically opposed religious practices. As a result, Christians appear to be petty, bickering people who are too proud to overlook themselves for a greater good, much less unite. The problem with religion is that it is a creation of mankind and is consequently flawed, which means there's always room for improvement; when sects are spending more time arguing what Jesus really meant or what the purpose of this or that verse is or even tries to interpret the bible to intentionally hamper people's freedoms, the flaws of Christian people become painfully evident. The result is often times burnt out Christians who are at best, watered down followers of God...either that or they've built themselves up immensely and are no longer capable of seeing their own imperfections since they've chosen to criticize others far more often. These are the Christians, of course, who get the most publicity because they consider themselves superior to all other people from any other faith. Contrary to popular belief, this type of elitism is discouraged by the bible, as illustrated by these verses:

Luke 18:11-15
(11) The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men–robbers, evildoers, adulterers–or even like this tax collector. (12) I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

(13) “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

(14)“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Just for the record, I'm not trying to convert any of you (and I don't expect to be able to even if I did try). However, I feel obligated to try to defend Christianity to whatever extent that I'm able.

The point here is not to debate the scruples of Christianity, but to debate whether or not what these speficic missionaries did was right or wrong.

P.S. It was wrong.

I hope they get burned at the stake for doing that.

Relica Religia said:

The point here is not to debate the scruples of Christianity, but to debate whether or not what these speficic missionaries did was right or wrong.

P.S. It was wrong.

Oh. Well I'd be inclined to agree.

I’m pretty sure this isn't common practise among missionaries. The principal of a mission is "We’re Here to help everyone so that you’ll see that we’re Good people."

How can anyone not see that this story is fake? Look at the excerpt; it has a sentence fragment in it ffs.

I would believe it, normally, but the original article is so poorly written, with no source, that I am in doubt. And Yahoo isn't exactly unknown to post fake articles, either.

AndrewB said:

I would believe it, normally, but the original article is so poorly written, with no source, that I am in doubt.

The quality of writing doesn't necessarily qualify it as being illegitimate. It's not uncommon to find grammatical errors in even the best news journals or papers. I have thought that this might be a hoax a while ago too, but I can't be sure. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Bloodshedder said:

What newfangled Bible translation started using the watered-down "tax collector" as opposed to "publican"?

The New International Version.

Fucking missionaries. I hate them. I hate when someone says to me, trying to prove how good they are, "I'm doing missionary work this summer, tee-hee". And I feel like saying back to them "Yeah, have fun converting the 'heathens'" but I don't because it's rude to talk about religion anyway which is why I don't understand why they always start talking about it.