Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ultdoomer

No Music With PrBoom

I have PrBoom installed on a computer with Windows 2000 as the operating system, and the music works just fine. Then I got a new computer with Windows XP Home Edition. I installed PrBoom on the new computer and I can't hear any music, but I do get sound effects. Any suggestions for getting the music to play short of downloading those huge Timidity patches?

-------------------If I must download the patches--------------------

What exactly are Timididy patches and how do I use them? Could you just install the patches, or do you need some orininal program called Timidity. Plus, when you download the program(s), how do you get them to work with PrBoom?

Thanks,
Phil

Which version of PrBoom?

I don't have any major problems with PrBoom's music in Windows XP Home, but of course there is more than one version of XP Home, and these things tend to be system-dependent too.

You could try downloading the most recent version of SDL and seeing if that helps. PrBoom uses SDL.dll, SDL_mixer.dll and SDL_net.dll, but the version of PrBoom that you downloaded might have old versions. Conversely, you could check that the files haven't been overwritten with some other versions that your system doesn't like. Personally, I've never found it makes much difference which version of the dlls is used, but presumably there is some reason why they keep updating them. :p I imagine Quasar knows the ins-and-outs of this stuff, since Eternity also uses SDL.

Other than checking the obvious things (you unzipped everything from the prboom package, that MIDI isn't muted in the volume control(!), and that there is nothing silly in the sound settings in your .cfg file), I'm not sure what else to suggest.

If it doesn't work now it's likely the sound card's fault. If your hardware didn't change then maybe the difference is in the drivers provided by the system, if not just the settings.

The music engine's already in PrBoom as part of SDL, all you need is the TiMidity compatible patches. Lately it's kind of hard to find patches to download except in Linux-related sites, it seems. You can check some links here.

We always update the SDL DLLs whenever a new version of SDL is released. Each new version of SDL always has tons of bug fixes to take care of silly problems that people tend to blame on the source ports themselves instead of SDL. Also, when new features are added that we want to use, we have to link against a new version to have that API made available.

I'm using Andrey's modified PrBoom 2.2.6. Note that it didn't work with the original PrBoom 2.2.6 either. Since version 2.2.6 is the lastest stable version I assume I probably had the latest version, but I went to the SDL page and downloaded the latest one (I might have already had it, but I went there just in case. I still couldn't hear music after that. And yes, I checked all of the obvious things like the volume control and I made sure everything was unzipped.

I would also like to add the "stdout" text file. I think I found a line in there that might help find a solution.

prboom v2.2.6 (http://prboom.sourceforge.net/)
Z_Init : Allocated 8064Kb zone memory
found plutonia.wad
IWAD found: plutonia.wad
PrBoom (built Oct 8 2004), playing: DOOM 2: Plutonia Experiment
PrBoom is released under the GNU General Public license v2.0.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the file COPYING for details.
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
default file: C:\Program Files\Final DOOM for Windows 95/prboom.cfg
I_SetRes: Using resolution 640x480
V_Init: allocate screens.
D_InitNetGame: Checking for network game.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding plutonia.wad

M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon -
R_InitData: Textures Flats Sprites
R_Init: R_InitPlanes R_InitLightTables R_InitSkyMap R_InitTranslationsTables
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
I_InitSound: configured audio device with 1024 samples/slice
I_InitSound: sound module ready
S_Init: Setting up sound.
S_Init: default sfx volume 8
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display.
I_InitGraphics: 640x480
I_UpdateVideoMode: 640x480 (fullscreen)
I_UpdateVideoMode: 0xe0000000, own buffer, lock-and-copy
ST_Init: Init status bar.
I_ShutdownMusic: removing doom.tmp
I_ShutdownSound:
W_ReportLocks:
Lump Size Locks Tics
CRBRICK 272 1 333
CRTAN 256 1 333
CRGRAY 256 1 333
CRGREEN 256 1 333
CRBROWN 256 1 333
CRGOLD 256 1 333
CRRED 256 1 333
CRBLUE 256 1 333
CRBLUE2 256 1 333
CRORANGE 256 1 333
CRYELLOW 256 1 333
COLORMAP 8704 1 333
DSSLOP 11126 1 0
D_DM2TTL 3604 1 333
S_START 0 11206720 333
F_START 0 11206720 332
C_START 0 11206720 -944124153
WATERMAP 8704 1 333

The line I am referring to is "I_ShutdownMusic: removing doom.tmp"

i had a similar problem when i switched from win2k to xp.
->system control panel-> sound settings -> midi replay was set to creative soundblaster mpu-401.
i didn't get any music with this, while the settings worked under 2k (i have some creative soundblaster card).
changed midi replay to microsoft gs wavetable sw synth, midi music plays again.