Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

CDoom CDownload

CDoom v 0.25 has been released, and is available in either a saucy windows exe or a windows/linux zip.

Among the things changed or fixed:

• Game now loads from Gui, no more need for "map e1m1" command.
  • Chaingun ammo now correctly displayed
  • Crash on backpack pickup resolved
  • Resolved "low ammo" flashing error due to lack of reload in Cdoom
  • Altered weapon damage for pistol & shotgun
  • Health stops at 100 for standard stimpacks and medikits
  • Various map-specific bugs resolved

You can head on over to the CDoom website for more infos.

Checked it out, it sort of still emits an aura of unprofessinality in my opinion. It focuses too much on being flashy and utilizing Doom 3's graphics where they need not be utilized, and paying less attention to map structure. They just flip out because the overhead map matches all of E1's linedefs.

(Oh, FP and all that great stuff.)

if you see the maps from above, they dont match linedefs - well E1M3 and E1M4 dont - they are similar because of the layout of course but we arnt "flipping out" or promoting the mod for that purpose.

Were making use of Doom3's graphics because they are availbile to us, why make a mod for doom3 that is the same as the original doom.

Its a shame that you dont seem to enjoy our work :( , I guess you cant please everyone :) , especially die-hard classic doom fans like yourself :D
Happy fraggin Shaikoten :)

Well, I re-installed Doom3 to check this out and... so far I'm pretty impressed. Looking forward to more.

All I can say about Cdoom is that it is one of the few d3 mods out there that I really enjoy and look foward to seeing updated. Others promise a load in the future, but Cdoom is out NOW, and thats great of you guys.

Now I just need to convince Brendon Chung to come out with some larger maps...

EDIT: After not posting in a while, I am glad to know that I am STILL an Idiot. Watashi wa BAKA!!!

Gazz said:

Its a shame that you dont seem to enjoy our work :( , I guess you cant please everyone :)

Well if you look at the last news post regarding CDoom (or maybe the one before that, I made a more coherent list of gripes I had; and things I liked. I think it's a good attempt, but it's just not quite there yet.

It sort of vaguely reminds me of early Quake 2 community maps that went crazy with colorizing lights.

E1 has more of a green/brown feel, and I know D3 doesn't include a whole lot of resources to accomidate for that, so I don't mind the use of the metal textures and whatnot. What I do mind are some bits of unessicary darkness. E1 was overall a rather bright episode.

I don't know, if you check back, my earlier post was more constructive criticism, less flaming. I just take E1 too seriously.

I gotta say, I was hoping for more. I'll list my grievances before I give my praise.

1. It's too damn dark. E1 wasn't really all that dark at all, I can't remember any completely pitch areas, save the secret area in E1M4.

2. Speaking of E1M4, I couldn't exit. The switch next to the yellow door was missing. I spent a good half hour searching for the way out, but had to just quit.

3. The chaingun has been slowed to a ridiculous degree. That wouldn't be as big a deal if it were more accurate, but it actually feels less accurate, which just makes it totally useless.

4. I remember Doom being a very fast-paced game. CDoom is incredibly slow in comparison. There are numerous places where, in the respective level in the original Doom, I'd blow past a group of enemies, intending to clean a place to put my ass while I fight them. Moving around in CDoom feels like I'm moving in a pool filled with molasses while my feet are manacled.

5. The shotgun's tendency to spread at anything further than about ten feet makes it difficult to do anything but fight things right in your face. Don't get me wrong, there are places where that's great. But everywhere? Come on.

That said, I'd like to say that I've found the layout to be good, if a little off-scale in places. I could look at almost any point and remember where I was in the original.

I wish I could say good things about this. I'm not trying to flame anyone, I just wasn't impressed. Maybe there are good reasons why some of the stuff that bugs me has been set the way it is, or maybe the team just hasn't gotten around to working on those areas yet. I'm sure it will improve.

I just don't think I'll be pursuing this release any further.

DC

I think perhaps you look at it as it should be a direct doom3-to-e1 port, and if you do that, than sure, it doesnt match up, but thats no reason to not enjoy it for what it is (even thought the lighting is a little d64-esque in places).

I understand that it merits looking at it as its own entity, but the whole point of the project, if I understand it correctly, is to redo the original Doom over in the Doom3 engine. They're trying, as far as I can tell, to recapture the levels, the gameplay, and the atmosphere of Doom, and looked at from that light, I come up with my problems.

If I were to look at it as a whole new horse, I'd say it looks like a solid, developing mod. The only problem is that it's not supposed to be a whole new horse.

DC

The main aim of the mod is not to be exactly the same as the original Doom, but not be a simple map pack for Doom3 either.

We want to aim for the mod to be somewhere inbetween. The weapons are eternally being balanced.
In the last release there were critasisms that the chaingun was too fast, so we slowed it down. Now it has come apparent it was slowed down way too much so we'll speed it up a little.
Everything is changing week by week on the weapons front.

The Doom 3 engine is very dark by default due to the way the lighting works, however, in areas that require it we have tried to keep those key areas as light as possible (entry way to E1M1, outdoor section in E1M3 and the starting areas in E1M4).

When we finally get deathmatch incorperated, the mod will reflect original Doom's fast paced action in a better way than what the singleplayer does.

If you truly want the exact same game of Doom, on the Doom 3 graphics, then this mod (as is probably obvious by now) is not for you. Try the Doom 3.1 project :) , thats comming along pretty well and aims to do exactly what you guys are looking for.

Gazz said:

If you truly want the exact same game of Doom, on the Doom 3 graphics, then this mod (as is probably obvious by now) is not for you. Try the Doom 3.1 project :) , thats comming along pretty well and aims to do exactly what you guys are looking for.

Heh, I checked that out, jDoom looks better than that. Bad texture rips.

Anyways. No, that's exactly the oppisite of what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something more similar to zdoom ports of E1; with the feel the same as the E1 maps, but architectural and gameplay advancements. I was claiming that this mod tries too hard to get all of the room dimensions exactly perfect, and not paying attention to more important things like lighting and architecture.

Doom-Child said:

I just don't think I'll be pursuing this release any further.

It's your choice, but I think you may be giving up on it a bit prematurely. It's still very early in development, and I think it's only going to get better. When you made your points, it felt as though you were talking about a finished product.

I should have been more clear. I don't plan on playing this release any more.

It would appear I misrepresented the intentions of the mod. I guess I just assumed that since the levels were similar, the weapon placement was similar, and the enemy placement was similar, the gameplay was supposed to be similar.

The future is a very vague thing, and I would be remiss to dismiss this mod out of hand.

Hmm...the Doom 3.1 website is down. Dammit.

DC