Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

Inbetween pixels..

Ok I think I'm going way back here and this slipped my mind, which is why I'm asking but..

What did th IRC guys call the "space inbetween pixels"? It was a joke, since there really isn't anything significant between pixels (dot pitch measurement?)

Anywho, it was a JOKE, but what was that word?

C'mon one of the old school IRC guys has to know what I'm talking about. I think PixelRex or Ling probably knows. Maybe it was DVS01 or Fraggle who coined the term.

Lvangundy said:

C'mon one of the old school IRC guys has to know what I'm talking about. I think PixelRex or Ling probably knows. Maybe it was DVS01 or Fraggle who coined the term.

what

Look what you've done! You got my curiosity piqued with this incredibly bizarre and interesting question, and now it looks as though there shall be no answer to it. I hope you're happy...

I'm still racking my brain over this too, does anyone have the IRC #doom2 logs? This was like 6 years ago.

I know it makes no logical sense but there's an answer.

Holycrap. I'm suprised you remember that one.

Ok there's one more anomoly of #doom2.

Cajun[CC] said:
TOKENDOMELAKALEMA!!

heh.

"Dot pitch" is not the space between pixels. It is the space between the phosphor sets on the screen (where a phosphor set is one of each red/green/blue element).

In the context of a CRT, the ray may shoot out 1600x1200 beams of electrons (which is what we all know and love as our "resolution"), but those beams may be only caught by, say, 1245x934 phosphors on the surface of the screen. This would result in a blurry 1600x1200 display. But if the rays were being caught by 1600x1200 or more of the phosphors on the screen, the picture will be optimally sharp.

The lower the dot pitch, the more crammed-together the phosphor sets are, and the higher the resolution the CRT can display without being blurry.