Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

Dem HOEs Is Done

It looks like the Doom 3: Hell On Earth mod team has called it quits. It seems the leader isn't going out kicking and screaming, but rather is leaving quietly.

From the site:

There are various reasons for (quitting). Many of our members left because they simply didnt have the time anymore needed for the project. Others just lost interest in Doom 3. Let me say that Doom 3 probably has the best mod developing tools available, but also has a really small community, compared to other games, like Half Life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004. From the Beginnings of this mod, we suffered a constant lack of talent in several fields of development, especially mappers and animators.

So there you have it. I'm rather shocked by this as they seem to have been making some kickass progress on their models. Ah well, another one bites the dust. Looks like we'll have to be keeping our eyes on another doom 3 mod that still carries on.

it just keeps going on! i've seen (and tried) this a dosen times. it's very sad, iam really shocked that Hell on Earth would quit :(

This really sucks. :( I was so looking forward to playing this when I got Doom 3. Are there any plans to release the new weapon(s) and monsters for use in the community, at least?

It's a shame.

But yeah, hopefully they'll release the SSG and the new monsters for the community, or just the whole damn thang.

Or better yet, pass it on to someone else. Doesn't necessarily have to be a proffesional team making a commercial game. Would be a great honor to anyone.

Darkman 4 said:

Well there goes the Doom 3 modding community.

Somehow I predicted this half a year ago before Doom3 came out.

It seems I was right when I said that Doom 1/2 would survive Doom 3...

Was that the one that Shaviro was working on and Kristus and Spike were doing the concept art? Or was that something else?

EDIT: I guess not. What was/is that one then?

EDIT2: Oh, I guess that's the one in the second link. I'll shut up now.

Graf Zahl said:

Somehow I predicted this half a year ago before Doom3 came out.

It seems I was right when I said that Doom 1/2 would survive Doom 3...

Seems like you took a guess based on your cynicism and think that it's coming true. Considering that still Doom3 is very young and ahead of it's time, this is to be greatly expected. You're comparing not even 5 months of existence to 11 years. Yeah that makes a lot of sense...

Mancubus II said:

Considering that still Doom3 is very young and ahead of it's time.

The engine may be ahead of its time. But that doesn't change one thing I experienced with every single game coming after Doom: There was a short period of strong activity but sooner or later the editing community broke down and moved to the next game. For Half-Life it took longer than for the rest but in the end it was inevitable. What makes you think that Doom 3 will be the game to break that curse?

all the quake games still have communities that put out mods.
RTCW do aswell.
can't speak for Unreal but I'm sure that's the same fact there.
Duke3d atleast HAD a community in 2002 dunno about now.

kristus said:

all the quake games still have communities that put out mods.
RTCW do aswell.
can't speak for Unreal but I'm sure that's the same fact there.
Duke3d atleast HAD a community in 2002 dunno about now.

Size does matter. Of course there will always be a few people who won't let a game die. But considering that I got more interesting stuff for Doom in the last 6 months than for all Quake games combined in the last 4 years is telling a lot.

Damn, this is very disappointing news. They seem to had some very talented modelers. I was looking forward to this mod. :(

This is very sad. I don't have DOOM 3, but I were very interesed in this. Hope that you send the stuff to someone else.
Could you put screens of the Spidermastermind model in diferent angles (these used in the DOOM sprites), I'd like to make a sprite monster with it.

OMG this sucks. I'm feeling very sad right now. I almost hate them for even starting the mod... I guess I shouldn't hate em. :(

Sucks. I expected at least one decent hell on earth mod. I didn't expect the interest in doom 3's modding community to burn away that quickly.

That's too bad. Some of those shots look really good.

Doesn't someone usually come along and pick up these discontinued mod projects where they left off?

Yeah, seems to be that it's very unusual for a game to develop a solid modding community and have it stick. Especially for SP mods. You may have a few MP mods if you're lucky, because they're easier to do, but the SP ones always die midway through creation.

Man quite a few of you are talking like the doom3 mod community is already dead. That is completely unnecessary. It's not dead and will get bigger as computers are able to handle more of what the engine can throw at you. The things this engine can do, people are only now discovering.

And Graf, what you may consider "interesting" isn't interesting to all. Yes it's your opinion, but you state it as though it is fact.

Mancubus II said:

Man quite a few of you are talking like the doom3 mod community is already dead. That is completely unnecessary. It's not dead and will get bigger as computers are able to handle more of what the engine can throw at you. The things this engine can do, people are only now discovering.

And Graf, what you may consider "interesting" isn't interesting to all. Yes it's your opinion, but you state it as though it is fact.

Oh my, you are quite an optimist!
Now let's wait a year and we'll talk again, ok?

Wow, this really does suck. As someone mentioned above I hope they release some of the material they finished for the community. The Pain Elemental and Spectre are fascinating concepts and updates from their originals.

Yeah, and someone better adopt that tasty looking Combat Shotgun... I could easily see me blasting away some hell spawn with that fella' and a big grin on my face!

Disorder said:

I didn't expect the interest in doom 3's modding community to burn away that quickly.

It hasn't just yet *nudge nudge wink wink* ;)

Heh, figures.
Of course, since I don't have Doom3 or the computer to run it, and I will have neither for God knows how long, I can't say I'm really all that disappointed.

I personally never thought that mod looked anything what Doom3 Hell on Earth should look like.. the screenshots were all mars tech base, and developing levels without making the proper textureset is a bad idea.

Really, besides their concept art.. did they ever release a few screenshots of a level that even resembled a city? I never saw any..

I THINK their plans were too grand for their experience in leading a mod and their love of the game wasn't strong enough, thus they quit...

We should make a Doom3 New-project tag, because a lot of these so called, 'mods' are all hype and really have no dedication to the doom3 engine so they give up.

They never got that far, They hadn't even began on the earth maps before they quit. One of the main reasons was because they barely had any level designers. The ones they did the shots on the page weren't even on the team anymore when they quit.