Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ata

Playing PSX Wads on PC ?

Hello, I would like to know is there's a possibility to play to the Wads of the PSX Doom on a PC, maybe by extracting the files from de PSX CD. Some of the levels are very different, it would be interresting. Thank You :)

Hmm... It'd be kind of interesting if somebody went and added colored lighting to Console Doom, through say Zdoom or something. Not me, though, because I really don't know that much about PSX Doom or Zdoom editing, nor do I really care all that much. Just a random thought I had.

Thank you so much for Console Doom and other PSX wads Gentlemen, I'm going to play these levels immediately ! PSX Doom was my first Doom version I have played, I'm sure I'm going to love these levels on my PC, with jDoom for example ! You're The Bests !!!

a while back i started making a PSX doom with colored lighting for jdoom, had the full first episode, then my mom thought it would be a good idea to delete my work to free up room on my hard drive, so much for that idea. I'd do it again, but i need the motivation and possibly a little help.

ShaneAmp said:

possibly a little help.

The physcological kind? Having that happen would piss me right off.

I have posted about this before..

Use wintex and get the wads out of the /abin dir on the CD and merge them into a precreated PC Doom wad. Then you can view the files inside the PSX wads. I have done this myself when I used to use Winshit.

It really works, but Wintex cannot read the graphics formats, sort of like the situation with the Doom alpha GFX.

Worth a try, but Wintex could not read the level formats either.

But go with the emulator, I had one going once and it had music and everything.

ShaneAmp said:

what can it read then? just the files names?

yes, you can only view the files from the CD.

The wad files are in a different format (but still contains the basic wad structure (linedefs, ssectors, segs, blockmap, including a new category called 'leafs') but opening it in a editor won't help much.)

The only files you can actually get your hands on is the .RAW files (wav files) and the .LCD files which contains a list of the sound effects.

yeah i've used a program that can rip those files. What about the PSX fire sky? was that just taken from the intro sequence? I always kinda wondered, do u know how the N64 graphics were extracted?

The fire sky is a generated image. Quite similar to this

The N64 graphics were dumped using a plugin for a n64 emulator.