Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
razor247ex

playing doom's midi files.

i used to have back in the 90's a PC with an old 8 or 16 bit sound card(im not sure if it was a sound blaster), and now i have SB-live.
the midi files just dont sound the same.
what can i do to play midi files outside DOOM (in windows), with the same sound quality i used to have? (16 bit quality - or 8.)

HELP.

Edit: i see u ppl dont follow the posts... k the thing is that i want to hear MIDI files on DESKTOP with 16 BIT SOUND QUALITY.
what do i do?

Get a source-port such as BOOM or ZDOOM or Legacy or JDOOM.
Also try getting a multi-purpose WAD browser such as WinTex or XWE. Those things have exellent MIDI playback features.

well u see thats the problem, because i have midi files from other games too and i want to hear them also with 16 bit quality... how to do that?

On Topic:
You can download the mp2 files at doomworld, they are really good listening to

Off Topic:
Sir Timber Wolf, where are the levels for Team Corruption Project...

Windows Media Player and Winamp both can play midi files. I don't know about WMP, but Winamp has some options for how midi files are played back and maybe trying different settings will give you what you want.

I don't know if this helps you or not...

Well, I find the midis to sound better with Live now, than it was back when I had SB16, because of wavetable samples. If you want to hear the same way, you could try to run SB16 emulation under DOS (there are DOS midi players), or somehow disable the wavetable for midi playback, if that's possible.

Oh, I forgot, you've got XP. So maybe a DOS box will help, not sure.

I would love to have a seperate wad file of the ultimate doom music I could play with doom2 and add thru the command line.

Does anyone know of a wad and link that might be available?

Just make it with XWE, WinTex, DeuTex, DeepSea, or whatever.

The original doom music isn't in MIDI format, and the music decoder wasn't released as open source. Unless someone works out how to replay the MUS files precicely you're stuck, sorry.

er, that was figured out years ago. there were midi2mus and mus2midi converters back when *I* started doom editing...I don't know the technicalities, but i've always been given to understand the difference between the two formats was trivial and easy to discover and replicate.

AdamW said:

er, that was figured out years ago. there were midi2mus and mus2midi converters back when *I* started doom editing...I don't know the technicalities, but i've always been given to understand the difference between the two formats was trivial and easy to discover and replicate.

Well its definitely not 1:1 because there are noticable differences in the playback. Did the MUS decoder go through the MIDI bit of the sound card? I always thought MAP09 (I think, pretty sure < 10 at least, the pit) sounded a lot better as MUS than MIDI.

Jon said:

Well its definitely not 1:1 because there are noticable differences in the playback. Did the MUS decoder go through the MIDI bit of the sound card? I always thought MAP09 (I think, pretty sure < 10 at least, the pit) sounded a lot better as MUS than MIDI.

MUS is MIDI data in a nonstandard file format. I think the only problem with the music in modern ports is that the right instruments arent used.