Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

Phobos Chugs On

With the news of a few Doom 3 projects going on hold or stopping altogether, I'm happy to report that at least one Doom 3 project stays the course, Doomworld's own Doom 3: Phobos. Shaviro has posted an update reflecting on the recent demise of the Hell On Earth project, as well as announcing 3 new members and a couple of new screenshots. Finally, I'd like to give my respect to those doom 3 projects still going. May other doom3 modders not lose hope.

You can give these screenshots whatever title you like. Recreation Area, Excavation Entrance, whatever.... They all look like random Doom3 techbase 546721 to me :o\

Edit: I'm not saying they aren't nice thoguh :oP They are very nice. Just all the screenshots of Doom3 mods I've seen, including the now defunct HOE, seem a bit a bit generic.

The Flange Peddler said:

You can give these screenshots whatever title you like. Recreation Area, Excavation Entrance, whatever.... They all look like random Doom3 techbase 546721 to me :o\

Edit: I'm not saying they aren't nice thoguh :oP They are very nice. Just all the screenshots of Doom3 mods I've seen, including the now defunct HOE, seem a bit a bit generic.

Keep in mind that this project is still in its early phases, and we wouldn't want to give away the good stuff early on. Also, this is not attempting to diverge from the doom3 universe; in fact, this is a continuation that takes place immediately after the original game.

Kaiser said:

well, Doom3 is a tech base game..not much you can do with its textures/resources.

Yeah, I was thinking something like that when I looked at the screenshots again sobre. A bit more colour in some of these mods would be nice I think, but again you're restricted by the Doom3 texture set.

Unless you have a good texture artist on your team?

Sounds easy but there's a lot more than just creating a texture pic..you got to render it in bumpmamp, gloss, specular and diffuse in a modeling program just so it can work in the engine..

Yes, pretty much all textures in Doom3 is prerendered 3d models.

You can make textures for Doom3 w/o using models, but it's not adviceable.

kristus said:

Yes, pretty much all textures in Doom3 is prerendered 3d models.

What do you mean?

When they made the Doom3 textures, they made a 3d model for each one of them and then they rendered a normalmap from them and used for the bumpmapping.

The only real reason that ID gave us for Doom 3 being so dark is that everything was basically destroyed throughout the bse. I would have preferred levels like these that are in design anyway.