Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

Marathon 2 for Win 95 support?

I noticed that there are very few programs to edit the Windows 95 version of Marathon 2. I was wondering if it might be possible to add support for the Windows 95 version of Marathon 2 to XWE. Marathon 2 can be downloaded here: Marathon 2 Durandal at Home of the Underdogs.

As for the data files, they are marked very clearly and seperated into a few groups: Map, Sounds, Images, Music, Shapes, and Fonts. I hope this helps!

I decided to edit the original request so it made more sense, and I'm also going to post links to download other games that use the Marathon 2 engine that were released for Windows 95, just in case you need more files to study.

Here they are:
ZPC (Zero Population Count)
Damage Incorporated

These two games have their files set up pretty much exactly as Marathon 2 does, although ZPC has a seperate file for Landscapes(skies), while Damage incorporated is the oddball of the group with completely diffent file names for the Map, Physics, etc. and a new entry, Voices. If you do not wish to download these games from Home of the Underdogs, I can send you the necessary files via email instead. Also, if it impossible to add support for these games or you simply don't want to, that's fine!

Hi,

Sorry for not replying to your post, I really should have said something. Actually I got a request for these exact three games quite a while back by email (could have been you). I grabbed Marathon 2, I have the files. It's not a quick add though, I will need some time for this. It's probably possible to add some support for sure, but it's on my long-term to-do list. (BTW music.mus2 is a simple WAV file.)

It's fine you didn't reply earlier! I understand that you're probably very busy, and I'm sorry if I put any pressure on you. I didn't send the email, but that's pretty cool someone else was asking for those games, heh.

I'd third the request for Marathon 2 Windows support in XWE, if only for the reason that it is easier to deal with than opening Anvil in the Basilisk 2 emulator and hand-record sounds/printscreen graphics that I might possibly need.

Veddge said:

Was Marathon 1 a Mac only release, or did it ever come to the PC Platform?

It was Macintosh only. Marathon 2 was the only one in the series to ever make it to PC, and it failed miserably on the market (hence why they never did Marathon Infinity subsequently).