Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Manc

Knee Deep In Zee Doom

NMN sent us a somewhat lengthly email in regards to the Knee Deep in ZDoom (KDIZD) project. For the few of you who still haven't heard about this project:

Our main concept behind our project is the single tought-how would Doom look if ID had the power of the most felixible and innovative mod making-wise source port- Zdoom in 1993? Would our favorite game look like it looks now? Maybe it wouldn't look like that at all? We want to enter the minds of the creators of Doom and go back in time-we have studied their styles, carefully planned and laid down every aspect that would make our project look as much as what the great minds like John Romero, Tom Shawn, Adrian Carmack, Sandy Petersen would make if they had the chance.

Other than describing in detail about the project, he also mentions that they're gearing up for a release in 2005. There's no official homepage, but you can view the WIP entry.

The mapping looks pretty solid on this, but I don't know about the new weapons, ogg tracks, and other sort of frivilous feeling things. It definitely looks promising, though. Glad to hear this project isn't shaping up to take forever.

NMN said:

Tom Shawn

Who's that? :P

Manc said:

...he also mentions that they're gearing up for a release in 2005

Heh, just one more reason to get excited about this project.

This project is really starting to look insanely good and stuff! I really hadn't been looking forward to it until now... and I have no clue why. :P

DD_133 said:

Wait, NEW WEAPONS? Since WHEN did Zdoom support new weapons?

We're not waiting for new weapons coding system that was 2 be in Zdoom.2.064 :P We're using the old "new weapon making system" (mostly the one most weapon mod makers use out there) i.e. Dehsupp and such.

Doomboy said:

Who's that? :P

erm.. :) My bad. Tom (Hall) & Shawn (Green) I meant.

In all honesty though, Doom1 was first planned to be a lot more interactive then it ended up being, Which is probably why Tom Hall left id to begin with. (and for similar reasons same thing happened with John Romero)

ZED DOOM

Modifying DEHSUPP isn't a good idea, as it makes KDiZD specific to a single ZDoom version. Would anyone want to download a specifically outdated (when that version becomes outdated) version of ZDoom just to play a WAD?

Can't wait 'till this thing is done

deathz0r said:

ZED DOOM

Yes. The English speaking nations that use the pronunciation "Zed" for the letter Z far out number the few (or just one?) that pronounce it otherwise. ;)

Wait, you pronounce Z as "zed"? That is totally inconsistant with the pronounciation of other letters in the alphabet. That's about as baffling as how people manage to pronounce aluminum as "aluminium". Sure, i is the imaginary unit, but this is linguistics not mathematics.

exp(x) said:

That's about as baffling as how people manage to pronounce aluminum as "aluminium". Sure, i is the imaginary unit, but this is linguistics not mathematics.

We spell it with the extra i.

deathz0r said:

ZED DOOM

Modifying DEHSUPP isn't a good idea, as it makes KDiZD specific to a single ZDoom version. Would anyone want to download a specifically outdated (when that version becomes outdated) version of ZDoom just to play a WAD?

It's just plain DEHACKED work. NOT DEHSUPP.

(I know becuase I did the weapons modding)

No, and I was going to claim first correct pronunciation, but decided against being the instigator of the issue :P

Though, of course, Manc has it right.

21:39 < Bloodshedder> i can just see someone arguing about your latest news headline manc
21:39 < Bloodshedder> "it's not ZEE DOOM, it's ZED DOOM!"

It took 9 posts. I'd have to say I'm a bit surprised, but you all can eat my ass, except for Lüt.

Lüt said:

No, and I was going to claim first correct pronunciation, but decided against being the instigator of the issue :P

Though, of course, Manc has it right.

You shouldn't correct pronunciation when your own sentence doesn't even have a period at the end of it. :D

I smell a poll coming on (unless I missed something earlier). I've always just assumed it was Zee Doom. I had no idea there even was another way to pronounce it.

geekmarine said:

I smell a poll coming on (unless I missed something earlier). I've always just assumed it was Zee Doom. I had no idea there even was another way to pronounce it.

Good lord people, there's no reason for a poll or anything like that. Whether you pronounce it Z-Doom or ZED-Doom or Charlie-Doom it really doesn't matter. I put Zee Doom in the news title for the hell of it, not really expecting to have half the thread about whether one would use Zed or Zeta or whatever.

So let's drop that and get back on topic shall we?

Fabienne: Whose motorcycle is this?
Butch: It's a chopper, baby.
Fabienne: Whose chopper is this?
Butch: It's Zed's.
Fabienne: Who's Zed?
Butch: Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

boris said:

Fabienne: Whose motorcycle is this?
Butch: It's a chopper, baby.
Fabienne: Whose chopper is this?
Butch: It's Zed's.
Fabienne: Who's Zed?
Butch: Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Heh. I love that movie.

kristus said:

I pronounce zdoom as Zeta-Doom

The whole zee, zed, zeta thing has been done to death a number of times on the ZDoom forums.

http://zdoom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66445

I probably said it with the short e sound of zed as zedoom (one word rather than the two words of zed doom) before the above linked thread. Now however, despite being British, I use zeta doom. :)

Oh, and I am really looking forward to this project. To all the nay-sayers who are complaining about new guns, monsters, über detail, giant levels, quality music etc - that's a big part of what the project is about. It's not supposed to be just another Ep1 replacement. That's been done. If that's what you want, grab one. there are already many top quality Ep1 replacements that remain very true to the original feel and simplicity of Romero's Episode. They are great and I look forward to more in future, but that's not what this level set is about. It's not even a Doom1 WAD IIRC.

This one, is a new level set covering the Ep1 ground and places but using as many of the new tricks and tools as are possible in a modern port. It is not just a look alike or recreation - it is a retelling and a new encarnation. As such, it is a novel and interesting project with many top quality mappers and contributors involved. I look forward to its release and to playing it.

DD_133 said:

You shouldn't correct pronunciation when your own sentence doesn't even have a period at the end of it. :D

I don't punctuate sentences ending in emoticons, it looks sloppy.

Actually you should choose a period or an emoticon.

Right:

I won my soccer game today!

Right:

I won my soccer game today :)

Wrong:

I won my soccer game today! :)

Back on topic however, I cant wait until this comes out. March is a big month, ROE, and this :D

Sign in to follow this