Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom432

Put an end to my suffering please!!

Let me just give some background info. Last time I played doom was many years ago (final doom). I don't own any gaming consoles I own just a computer but I don't own any doom games. Doom 3 coming out reminded me of all the fun of playing final doom in HS when I rented a PS just to play Final Doom. I read the news of doom 3 and reviews and decided to save the money as it is just like quake 2. They put an end to the fun and gun style of the classic doom which i loved (i bought quake 2 when it came out and was dissapointed).

I have read about wads/ports and sincerely I don't understand it! i'm a total newbie at this and there are no total newbie articles on how to get started. All I know is that I can play thousands of doom levels made by the many doom fans out there. This is all I want, But how?

Somebody put an end to my suffering and tell me what do I need to do to play all the thousands of levels out there for the classic dooms? do I need to buy doom 1, doom II, final doom? just tell me ill do it!

I have win 98. Tell me what do I need to read to get all this? I am new to all this stuff and I know many will think im some kind of noob that wants quick answers. Not so, direct me to articles I need to read, i just wanna play doom dammit! what do i buy? what do i read? what do i download? Put an end to my suffering please!

You basically need two things to play Doom on the PC: Iwads and a Doom engine.

An iwad is a file with all the content of a Doom game, there's Doom.wad, Doom2.wad and two Final Doom iwads. These are the only thing you need that can't be downloaded for free (legally, at least). I believe you can buy a collection of all the Doom games quite cheap.

The original Doom engine (the software to play the games) is 11 years old and for dos, so you'll want to get a socalled port, which is a modernized and enhanced engine. Also, many user-made levels use enhanced features of ports. All ports are free. If you want a port that plays as many user-made levels as possible, get Zdoom, but there are many others, so you should experiment.

Once you have these working, you can download user-made levels. These come in wad-files too, called pwads. There are different ways of telling your port what to play, I have a zdoom shortcut on my desktop, and add parameters to the target-field. Add -iwad doom2 to use the doom2 iwad (most pwads use this) and -file followed by the pwad files.

This was a short introduction to get you going, hope it makes you able to search for more info or ask specific questions.

Thanks a lot for your help, I understand everything better now. Just 1 more question. I am thinking of buying the doom collectors bundle (has ultimate doom, doom ii, final doom) will the user made levels work with this, or do I need to buy a single doom game?

I ask this because sometimes when they bundle a collection of so many games they might come in one file, and maybe I won't have the right file to play the user made levels.

do you know if the collectors bundle will work for playing the user made levels?

Speaking of getting wads running, is there anyway to do it in game from the internal command prompt? (that the ~ key above tab and to the left of the !/1 key brings down?) I can't for the life of me remember any of the commands that work on that console and I can't find a FAQ anywhere giving a list of commands.

Nagelfar, that's a port-specific question. The original engine had no internal command prompt. If you're thinking of zdoom, I don't think it's possible.

Nagelfar said:

Speaking of getting wads running, is there anyway to do it in game from the internal command prompt? (that the ~ key above tab and to the left of the !/1 key brings down?) I can't for the life of me remember any of the commands that work on that console and I can't find a FAQ anywhere giving a list of commands.

I think doomsdayhq.com]JDOOM can.