Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordEquimanthorn

What's your favorite graphics program???

So whats every ones favorite graphics editing program. Mine is Paint Shop Pro, it is easy to use and reliable. I was wondering whats all out there? Maybe I can find a better program, you never know?

Photoshop.

Some people also swear by Gimp. I've never used it myself but it's free so you might want to check it out.

I'd have to go with Paint Shop Pro too. I tried the Gimp but the interface put me off.

I use GIMP. It's extremely powerful, but, being ported from Linux, has some serious interface issues. However it is extremly powerful, and is what I use, and I think it's much easier after reading some tutorials because even if you know how to do something in theory, the interface can throw you off.

Depends on what type of image editing I'm doing.

Photoshop 5.5 Special Edition. (Yes I bought it)
This was the last version that had just enough features for me.

Paintbrush - From old Windows 3.11.
This is the ONLY program with the abillity to erase only one colour at a time with the eraser.

Voxel 3D
More of a modelling program than a image editor. But I do paint my voxels in it.

Gif Construction Set
For making animated gifs for WIP shots and such.

Paint Shop Pro for most day to day editing. Especially easy for sprites and stuff IMO, but also powerful enough for photo stuff.

Photoshop when I want to do something more complex or a bit more "arty".

Deluxe Paint (yeah, old school baby! ) Yup, I still use this every now and again. Despite being older than Doom, it has some features that simply haven't been done in other programs or which can't be done so easily. I've tried a number of modern programs that claim to do what DPaint does, but they don't. Shame it doesn't support anything higher than 256 colour images. :(

Ghostpilot said:

Enjay: Is Deluxe Paint the same as old Win 3.11 paint?
If not, what is it? Link?

No, it's older than that! (First version released 1985.) It's an old program that first started on the Amiga, I think, and the Amiga version was always better supported. However, a version of it was ported to the PC as a DOS program (DPaint II is the newest/main version AFAIK). The Amiga version had an animation facility built in. The animation part was ported seperately to the PC IIRC. Sometimes it can be a little frustrating to use. Because of how it was developed, it doesn't follow Windows conventions for how menus operate etc.

I don't know if it is officially "abandonware" so I'll not post any links to it. But after a few seconds Googling, I got a copy. However, without a manual to tell you what to do, a lot of the really nice features, like perspective, custom brushes and so on will not be immediately obvious.

Here's some info links though
http://amiga.emugaming.com/dpaint.html
http://www.public.asu.edu/~krhuber/dp.html

Linguica said:

PSP5 4 lyfe

dont leave me hangin scuba!!

\m/ Well... I actually use PSP 6, however 6 is basically just PSP 5 with better text handling.

Scuba Steve said:

6 is basically just PSP 5 with better text handling.

And without an annoying crash associated with selecting and undo.

Chara Mucker (A Spriting program for RPG Maker, which i believe was ,made by ASCII)

OpenCanvas 3

I do mostly spriting stuff, seeing as the only drawing i do is for Wolf 3d

Paint - Small stuff, nothing bigger then 128x128 [I'm a pixel artist at heart :P But I don't have the patience to do monsters in paint X_X)

Paint Shop Pro 8 - Really nice for textures in doom, especially one you learn how to use it to its full extent :P

Adobe Photo Shop - I downloaded it once, and I used it once. I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. :P

all I need realy is MSPaint with a friendlier pallete. :p

Just use some dithering and you got 2x the pallete :P

impClaw said:

how do you cange the pallette to the doom pallette in photoshop

I think XWE/Deepsea/etc does that for you...

impClaw said:

how do you cange the pallette to the doom pallette in photoshop

This is how I saved the Doom colour pallete.

Extract any sprite, texture or flat from the doom2.wad (or doom.wad or watever).
Open the file using Photshop.
Then click Image, then Mode then Color Table.
What you will see is the doom colour pallete. It should be obvious how to save it from here (there's a save button).

To apply your saved pallete to a bmp that you are editing in photoshop: once again go to Image, then Mode, then Indexed Colour.
In the window that appears after these steps, choose custom in the Pallete area, then in the next window click load... and choose the pallete file you saved earlier.
(If you are allready using indexed colour, then go to color table instead and load your pallete)
that should do it :D