Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kaiowas

Problem inserting new graphic.

Okee. Got a new weapon pic i'm putting in. What I'm trying to do is kinda tricky and complicated, so I'll just give you the basics.

I was inspired by Justin Fischer's Aliens TC. He put in that utility beast machine as a weapon. The pic was exactly 320x200. Two things are wrong: the pic I put in was the same size, yet in Black and White and waaay off-set.

What I did was took a screen-grab off a DVD. Made it 320x200, and simply replaced the image.

What did I do wrong?

Well, you said you took a screen grab, well, I think firstly you need to change the pallet of your picture, go to PSP and change the palet to the doom one (make sure you have nearest colour, or it will probobly go black and white again). Secondly, you'll need to adjust the offsets of the texture in the editor you used to put it into doom (Wintex is best for me) and adjust them by an estimate, play the game and check, then keep on fine tuning and playing doom and going back untill you have it right (if your estimates are good, it will take less time, but is tedeouse, but then, what do you expect :-D). So, yeah, but also, it could be the fact that you are usintg a source port with hi res, it might shrink the image, maybe, I don't ythink they do though, but it could, maybe?

Two things are wrong: the pic I put in was the same size, yet in Black and White and waaay off-set. What did I do wrong?

Where exactly did you put your 320x200 pic? Normally, a weapon graphic is no more than 175*175, with a lot of the picture being "transparent" (i.e., the cyan color in WinTex), but there's no problem with a huge 320*200 pic. When you insert a pic, depending on the utility you use, the graphic is not automatically centered. This is an easy fix -- simply use the offset tools of your utility.

Your black & white problem is probably because your original image (captured from the DVD) is not in the DooM pallette of 256 colors.

Thanx for the advice!

1. Nah, it's not ZDoom. I went in with the Doom2.exe and it did the same thing.

2. Ok, I used DMgraph. And this version is maybe 5 yrs old. I don't know of a newer version. But I thought that it automatically set offsets to zero. I guess I'll have to use Wintex.

3. Now the pallette problem. I don't have PSPro, but I do have MGI Photosuite. Where do I go to change the pallette? I've never done that before.

4. AH! Another question... I need to put my sprites in a pwad. Can you guys tell me how to do this? I forgot.

I need to put my sprites in a pwad

You can use WinTex, DeepSea, XWE, or other utilities to insert sprites into a pwad, or even create a pwad consisting only of sprites.

I'm using DMgraph v1.1 on the Doom2 v1.9 wad. Would that make a difference? Is it just not fully compatible?

I've tried changing the offset values, but it doesn't do anything...

Hmm you could just email me the gfx and I'll send you back a wad if I can fix it.

If you don't mind, I'd like to do that. I'll send a frame on over. I'm using Dmgraph v1.1. It's several years old. Do the weapon frames count as sprites? I tried putting them into a pwad, but it wouldn't even make the pwad!