Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fezzador

Help w/ map

http://geocities.com/skywalkersmut/dethcity.zip

OK, the map is about 1/2 done or so (roughly) and will worry about the little stuff later. From what I have though, I just want some recommendations, advice, or if there's anything you'd like to see in the map... I'm suffering a bit of creativity withdrawal right now and if you have any suggestions to spruce things up I'd appreciate it, thanks.

gemini09 said:

I would suggest start learning Doom3 mapping instead.

Heh, Whats wrong with classic doom, I will never DooM 3 map, its a pain in the ass and takes way too long for some one with a full time job...
As for your map, just add lots of detail, make things in your level that you have never seen done befor. Also look at buildings around you and get ideas from there floor plans and shape.

Well il played your wad in progress,and it looks that there has to be a lot more work to be done.
I suggest using custom textures,a lot more detail,add windows,dont forget to add some floor/ceiling detail,make the wad a bit darker its a bid too bright imo.
Maybe you can use some new sounds or/and music,place your monsters on good spots on the map,dont just throw them in there if you know what i mean.
But other than that i wish you good luck with your project,and i hope to see it done some day.

Btw.classic DooM rules :D

You need detail in every room...

A room shal look more like this...

Then its detailed...
So keep working, dont give up

I hope he gets some inspiration from that pic,if not ill post some pics too if he wants me to :)
Btw is that an pic of one of your wads,it looks good is it released yet.

ok a litte tutourial:

This is a part of the map, that im going to change

First i will change the textures, since i think it wont fit with a
lavafall that pours down to the ground, it just wont fit. and the
ceiling i will also change. What place has 100 lights in a small room

The resault:

Now i will change those holes in the wall, and make nukage pools,
since i think its better than the "SFALL" textures at the walls,

The resault:

now we are going to add some lights, i choose to add 8 lights,
first i made 1 sector in 64x64, and then i made one 56x56 inside
that sector. Then i lowered them to 96 and 100. After that i
added the light texture and side textures. Then i copied it
8 times.

The resault:

Finally, im going to add some enemies. I choose to add 3 imps and
1 demon. Also one ssg for weapons. Done!

The resault:

By: impClaw

Hey impclaw nice small tutorial man,im sure he gets some ideas now.
And the wad looks a lot nicer,i hope he will keep it going though,its always good to help someone.

Thanks for the help y'all. I don't know the first thing about custom graphics so I'll skip that for the time being. I did take impclaw's idea and even added a few pillars in the same room... you can click the link to see what I did. Small steps, but it's getting there.

ok, i see you've made lights, add faded lightning (make sectors aroud the light and make the light graditually increace. Like this:

This makes the lights much more realistic...

I added the faded light sectors, but for some reason I get the "hall of mirrors" effect... I updated the wad so if you could check it out and tell me what needs to be fixed, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Well i have tested your wad again and it did improve a lot,thanks to impclaw,but i didn't got any HOM's when playing your wad.

Btw:if you need inspiration you could check the thread "do you like my demons + screens" its located at the doom editing section.
There are some screens in there that hopefully give you some ideas on your project,its one of my wads in progress.

fezzador said:

Are you using a ZDoom port?

I still use the old Doom 95 launcher so that may be the problem.

I use ZDooM to play my wads,i have tested yours with doom95 as well.
And i didn't got the HOM effect when i tested your wad with the doom95 launcher,this is a bid strange that you do have HOM's.

impClaw said:

I wanna see a updated map, can you upload it please...

I also want to see what you have done so far,im very interested in your progress fezzador,maybe whe can help you with so problems who knows.

Nice pic impclaw,altough it could't do with so more variation in textures imo,it looks well...to much gray textures.
Those lights look impressive keep those they look good.

Haven't done much work on it, I might upload it either tonight after the Super Bowl or tomorrow morning, whenever I have the time. I haven't done much work on it lately so don't expect a huge update.

EDIT: It is now updated, just added another room with a cage in it.

Also, in the room with the moat, when I walk over near the platform to activate the rising stairs (maybe I should just put a switch on the right or left hand side and use that to activate the stairs instead of a tripwire?) the texture is off on the sides of the stairs. I keep using DoomBuilder's AutoAlign feature but it does nothing to keep them aligned. I really don't want to have to manually align them if I don't have to...

K, I put a few more things in the new big room - a platform with 2 sets of stairs, a new lift down, and a toxic fountian in the center of the room. I will probably add a bit more detail later.

How do I align the rising stairs textures and such? I keep autoaligning it and it still won't align properly.

I don't like this part that door opens up and disapears in the sky,it looks awful to me :(

And what others already have mentioned,stuff this wad with more detail,if you release it like this your wad will not get a high rating.