Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fezzador

Help w/ map

I can't wait for an update,it looks like its going to be an 1994 style wad,nice i like old school doom wads.
As long as gameplay is good and textures are alighned properly im going to like it.
Keep up the good work fezzador

Btw:can i show you a pic of my wad in progress,i just ask you this because its your thread,and i don't want to mess it all up :)

I updated the map - I added a small platform in the middle of the "lake" in the courtyard, and when you walk into it, a door in another room opens and releases a horde of Imps.

Problem is, it only works to a certain extent. Maybe 1/3 of the Imps will teleport, but the rest will stay put. I don't know how to fix this in the slightest...

One correction on the gradient lighting, impClaw. You should remind whoever is doing so would be best off to start off at a considerably bright main sector (the light itself), and make it, say, 144, while the rest of the room is 104. Then you make as many sectors as is necessary to make the gradient go down by units of 8, the default, so it goes from 144 to 136, 136 to 128 and so on. But stop the gradient sectors one step above the room light level, which would be 112, for example. This way, you'll get the smoothest light possible. If you wish to be really touchy about it, though, make the sectors units of four (though you'll have to double the number of gradient sectors accordingly).

Hmm, I thought that it only recognized increments of 16, not 8...

Anyway I fixed the teleportation problem. Couple of more big rooms and then I'll get cracking on the little things.

Im glad that you fixed that door it looks much better now,whats it gonna be a gothic or an tech style wad,or some kind of mixture between those two.

Btw you sad it was no problem to post some screens of my wad,well take a look at these two,they are a bit dark sorry for that but doom is supposed to be dark imo.
Maybe you get some ideas,if you start detailing your wad :)

http://img164.exs.cx/img164/6247/doom00019wj.png
http://img164.exs.cx/img164/5794/doom00006wd.png

Very cool. I like the custom graphics you have going there - I have little artistic talent so is there a good place to download some good graphics? I just might incorporate those into my WAD...

BTW, it's supposed to be an old human base that has fallen into demonic influence, hence the gothic/techie base combo.

Sort of like an old Doom Shores of Hell level.

fezzador said:

Hmm, I thought that it only recognized increments of 16, not 8...

No, it recognizes any increment. It's just easier to keep it in units of four, eight and so on.

google.com and grsites.com thats about as much advice i can give you,i didn't made these textures myself i just downloaded them from different sites.

You need some additional programs such as photoshop and something like xwe/wintex to load them into your wad,but you probably allready know about these programs wright :)
I suggest using photoshop and xwe they are a good combination,well for me that is,to be on the save side you can also download a version of wintex too,it depens what kind of program suits your needs.

fezzador said:

Problem is, it only works to a certain extent. Maybe 1/3 of the Imps will teleport, but the rest will stay put. I don't know how to fix this in the slightest...

Three possible reasons:
-you made them deaf
-or they are standing too close together,causing them to stay where they are.
-they cant hear you somehow if the room they stand in isn't tagged or conected to the area you are in.

Nah, the problem was that the teleportation was set to one time, and I made sure that it was WR instead of W1.

Works great now, though!

fezzador said:

Nah, the problem was that the teleportation was set to one time, and I made sure that it was WR instead of W1.

O crap i forgot that reason,well another problem solved lol:D

I put in a couple of crushing ceilings just outside the courtyard, and a path which ultimately leads to a teleport out of the area.

I think that should do it, and then it's time to finish things up.

I just submitted my wad to the folks at WadsInProgress so maybe I'll get some more feedback from there too. I want it to look good when it's all said and done so the more comments, the merrier!

Your wad is progressing good,keep it up fezzador.
I have some detail examples to show you maybe you get some ideas.
http://img147.exs.cx/img147/8685/doom00025mk.png window
http://img235.exs.cx/img235/3338/doom00096nb.png window
http://img235.exs.cx/img235/1807/doom00054yk.png ceiling
http://img235.exs.cx/img235/1959/doom00046cd.png one totally detailed room
I hope you did like these screens,if they where too dark sorry for that:)

fezzador said:

Now I must put some of those windows in. ;)

Now thats the easy part,just use your immagination and you can think up very cool stuff,i designed these from scratch the designs you see here are not stolen from someone else his work.
I want to be original with my wads,that is why is takes so fraggin long before i release it.
Well for the most part i want to be original with my wads,but that can be somewhat challenging cause there are so many wads out there.

Most inspiration im getting is from movies,comic books,building designs,and you could say other wads and games.
But then again im not someone who copies ideas from another wad and use it in my wad to be :)

I tried your window idea in my wad... I dunno if I want to keep it or not, but I suppose trial and error is part of level editing!

impClaw said:

Dammit i can't get om wadsinprogress and can not see your screens.
Does anybody has that problem too,or is it just me.

fezzador said:

I tried your window idea in my wad... I dunno if I want to keep it or not, but I suppose trial and error is part of level editing!

If youre not happy with something you have created,just delete it en start over.
Thats the good thing about editing,if you don't like it you can delete it.
Some ideas can look good but in some cases the part you have build doesn't look good with the rest of your wad.
Btw:is your link updated.

Yup, it is now updated.

I changed it somewhat, it should look quite a bit better now.

I even added a few extra monsters. It's still not even close to being done, but this is probably the biggest and best wad I've made thus far (and that's not saying much).

There seems to be an small error in your map,take a look at that screen i hope you can see what i mean.
I am getting stuck but only if that floor is raised,you might want to take a look at that before uploading it.
Its the raising floor that is activated by an switch,if you teleport later on to that destination and the floor is allready risen then you get stuck.
Help im stuck

Btw:you can just see where you are left from that bigass arrow :)

Made quite a few changes - added some rotating pillars in the courtyard, a secret sniping chamber that connects the semicircular hallway with the lifts on each end to the antechamber with the stationary pillars, and some other little things.

There are still a few problems, but maybe I'm just picky:

- Nukage moat beyond the giant arrow doesn't hurt you, so if you run into it, you're stuck, and that's BEFORE you hit the switch.
- Most of the large rooms are empty except for a small bit of detail; add some pillars, pools, ammo, monsters, anything to make these areas seem less boring.
- Nonexistant difficulty; enemies are too spaced apart, making the chainsaw about as effective as a plasma rifle.
- The marble/GSTONE wall past the moat that opens into the sky just feels wrong to me.

The first three are being worked on. I intend to add the acid damage, I just keep forgetting about that. Also keep in mind that I have limited computer time so it will be quite a while before the level is completely finished, so it will be looking rather plain for the time being.

Also, can I have a screenshot of the wall/moat so I can see exactly where you're coming from?

I'm talking about the wall that opens when you shoot a yellow light that's embedded in a wall - a secret that contains an imp, a box of shells and riot armour, and the moat in the outdoor area past the big arrow. Sorry, no screenshots because I don't know any good hosts.