Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nancy_13

Nice things in a source port

Okay, I left doom for a while in 99 (I didn't have access to the internet, so it was just common old doom) then I descovered this site in 2001 which reintruduced me to Doom and showed me source ports (my first was MBF :-D, followed by Zdoom then edge, 3 of my favorites) and all 3 are good, but don't have changes that I think would add nice little extras and stuff, these are just minor changes, and the ones that need graphix can be taken from Hexen or heretic: splashing water, like heretic, and also adds the nice sound and a little level change to show this, lava and slime from heretic (with crispy flesh sounds :-D) and, one thing about doom that really annoys me is the fact that caco corps have blue blood, but they really have red blood and baron corpse have green blood but really have red blood, so, maybe someone could make it so cacos have blue blood when shot and leave anice blue pool of blood when crushed and barons have green blood but leave a really nice green pool of blood :-D. It would be cool to put this into some existing port, as some changes and stuff, and maybe make blood colours customizable by making the blood splat and blood decals and POB all green, then having some editing commnd or something to change the colour pallet off all blood left by this object, so you could mke custom enemies and change their blood colour, like alins TC uses yellow blood. Also, I think it would be cool if Randy added some thing in dehacked or something (a code pointer maybe) that allows you to change the pallett of an enemy or object (like, say you make an enemy a marine, you can make it from white to purple to black or blue, not just the 3 colours you get with ordinary doom). Mmm, thats my ideas :-D

My friend Hyena was asking for this feature in IRC the other day and I dismissed it as unlikely, but I think that maybe, just maybe, it would be possible to adapt the color range translation tables that are currently used to make text different colors for use in making blood different colors. It all depends on whether or not DOOM's blood graphics strictly use the red color ramp that's remapped by those tables -- if they use the other reddish ramp too, it won't work. I'll check up on it though.

One of the ports does the blood thing you were talking about. One of the GL ports. ZdoomGL, I believe.

As far as palette shifting the marine, Zdoom does that in multiplayer games. I think it lets you have up to 16 different colors.

zdoom actually uses a rather brilliant method of storing a static array of 8000 RGB values and then requantizes them into the game palette at run time, allowing about a zillion barely graduated player colors. Eternity's method, by comparison, is currently pretty crude. I've been thinking about snatching that code from zdoom, too, since I can't have my favorite dark blue shade of marine suit in Eternity currently ;)