Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

DOS sound ripper

Is there any program out there that will go into a DOS game or whatever and rip the sounds out of it? Sombebody on another forum told me they had all the sounds ripped from a certain game for DOS.

Nope. You have three options:

- If supported, you could use XWE.
- Since most DOS games don't use compression for sounds, you can also open the game's sound "package" with a sound editor that can open RAW files, such as Cool Edit. From there, you must specify bit rate (8bit mostly), sampling rate (11025hz is very common) and channels (mono). You can then select blocks of sound and click "Save Selection" :D
- Use DOSbox and do WAV output with music off.

did this thread title at one point in time within the past 3 minutes say "dvd sound ripper" cuz if it didnt then i think i might be going crazy

gargoylol said:

Nope. You have three options:

- If supported, you could use XWE.
- Since most DOS games don't use compression for sounds, you can also open the game's sound "package" with a sound editor that can open RAW files, such as Cool Edit. From there, you must specify bit rate (8bit mostly), sampling rate (11025hz is very common) and channels (mono). You can then select blocks of sound and click "Save Selection" :D
- Use DOSbox and do WAV output with music off.

Okay, I've run into problems.

1. It's not supported by XWE
2. It doesn't use RAW sound packages, unless they all don't go under the name .snd or .raw
3. I could use DOSbox to record the sound, yet if I do that, another sound will mess up the sound I'm trying to get (it's a death scream so there has to be a sound before it that will mix in with the scream).

It's MK3 for DOS, in case your wondering the game.

Okay, I've got the sound I want. I found it in one of the files that the game had. I have it, but it's really staticky (like the scream is happening over a phone on like the opposite side of the earth with the most interference ever) and it sounds real bad. Any suggestions?

Bashe said:

It doesn't use RAW sound packages, unless they all don't go under the name .snd or .raw

I am not talking about files that are having those file extensions, try opening ANY file in Cool Edit to see what I mean by RAW support. Try opening the file which you believe has the sound files.

If it sounds bad and staticy, try changing the bitrate to 16bit, or versa.

I've tried everything and it still comes out staticy and bad.

I'm using GoldWave, though, and it might be different.

Thanks for the link, Scientist! The wad contained the sought-after sound I was looking for.

Thanks everyone.

I'd like to get my hands on ripwave, but the link rat.org is broken. :(