Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

Icon of Doom 3

I think it's safe to say that the Hell Knight is the Icon/mascott of D3. He's on the box, making of book, the carboard stand ect ect...

but what spacific monster comes to your mind when you think of Doom 3? for me it's Pinky, Commando tantacle, Hell Knight and the Fat zombie. they are also my Favorites. But I think they come to mind the most cause they were they first ones I've seen. and the Hell Knight kicked ass in the trailers :)

Discuss..

When I think of Doom3 I think of the DARK.

Heh. Mainly the HK, cos it's so heavily played in the media around the game, and the Imp. And the shotgun. Those two kinda go hand in hand. ;)

Lord FlatHead said:

When I think of Doom 3, I think of an Imp spawning into a dark room for the 20th time in half an hour, followed by me quitting the game.

Heh, yeah, imps were definitely overused. They could've used more pinkies, mancubi and cacos imo. Normally I'd add archviles but they were so slow, and therefore uncool/non-threatening, that I'll just forget about 'em.

IMO the Imps in Doom3 are great enemies to battle against, especially with the shotgun. I never got tired fighting Imps. The one thing that got monotonous was the constant spawning of the Imps (and other demons), that was used way too frequently.

Frequent spawning sucks because a) it´s very obviously triggered and because of that lowers the replay value; b) it doesn´t provide different ways of approaching a monster - you only can react; b) it isn´t related to the environment when something spawns out of thin air.

Good monster placement IMO consists of cleverly placed waiting monsters, monsters patroling on certain routes, a few randomly roaming monsters, and very few triggered spawns by teleportation.

And the Icon of Doom3, from an outside view, is probably the fat Zombie.

I wonder where all the fatsoes come from?
before the gate is opened you never see any fat guys isnt that strange?

Tetzlaff said:

b) it isn´t related to the environment when something spawns out of thin air.

This is one of the things I hated most about Doom 3. I was expecting the monsters and level ambience to work together. I wanted to explore an environment and fear it. The constant spawning keeps gameplay extremely repetitive and a lot less exciting in the long run. I especially was looking forward to stumbling upon the hellknight in a dark, open, storage room or something like that. With Doom 3, the uncertainty of whether a monster will appear is so high that the game isn't scary at all. You know a monster will come sooner or later it's just a matter of how much health/ammo you have when it appears out of thin air. It would have been cool to have to wonder more at your surroundings.

Combine said:

I wonder where all the fatsoes come from?
before the gate is opened you never see any fat guys isnt that strange?

They were regualar size humans, just fat specters possesed them.

In the future fat people will be locked up and laughed at, only a force such as hell can liberate them.

That's also why their bitter bodies pack a mean swing with the wrench.

Janderson said:

In the future fat people will be locked up and laughed at, only a force such as hell can liberate them.

That's also why their bitter bodies pack a mean swing with the wrench.

of course! why dident i think of that :p