Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaaMQ

loKito / baron from hell replacement

Hello, this is the replacement I'm doing for the baron monster, it's very early work, this is the a* turn-around, I'm currently sketching the others.

http://usuarios.arnet.com.ar/angel66/manuel/doom/lokito-a.gif

The colors are not the final ones, I need help converting from RGB to doom's palette. Or do I have to color the sprites with the palette from the beggining??

Any feedback, specially from spriters, are very welcome!

Well, firstly, ditch the pants... That's just a bit absurd. Other than that, it looks very nice. I like it alot, and I'm not just saying that 'cause I'm desperate for a Baron replacement. Secondly, what program are you using to make the sprites? That will determine how best to approach the palette issue.

Agreed about thea pants. With them he looks like some kind of hunch-back mutant in sensible slacks. Without them, or some sort of suitable replacement he would look like a hideous, twisted beast. I also think the style is quite in keeping with quite a few of the current monsters.

Is there a Hell Knight in the current build (don't think so)? Is the feeling to go for a recoloured baron, like Doom2, or totally new sprites for the HK? If it's the id option, this'll kill 2 birds with one stone.

geekmarine, Enjay, youre right about the pants, they make him look silly, I'm tryng to modify them, here are poses 'a' and 'b':

About the Hell Knight, it isn't assigned i think, no problem coloring it twice, or changing it a little.

gargoylol: this bastard is coming from Hell, so be patient :)

Oh, about palettes, I'm using Gimp.

I can send you a Doom palette file for the GIMP.

To convert an image just use the Image -> Mode -> Indexed command (making sure to disable dithering). You wouldn't need to work in indexed mode, as long as you choose colours from the palette instead of making them up yourself (most bright colours in the palette will gracefully fade to black). My experience making sprites is limited, but I've found that adding the colour before scaling the image down produces better results.

flee from the mashed potato man!! aiee!!

actually though, that looks cool! Just remember he throws green fireballs.

Indeed he does. This is important as some mods could conceivably use the fact it's green as part of a dehacked palette shift. We *really* need to write up some comprehensive docs on what needs to stay the same and what doesn't.

[edit: I've assigned you the baron]

actually though, that looks cool! Just remember he throws green fireballs.

About the green balls, where are those sprites?? I looked for them in freedoom site but did'nt found. I got to see them.
Also: how can I know where they appear, so I can pose correctly the monster?? Or can its origin be changed??

[edit: I've assigned you the baron]

Well, that is some responsability!
I didn't advance very much, but did some color tests to start figuring how it will look. Those maybe a little odd, but I'm just starting with colors, sorry. Any help is very welcome(thanks Ajapted for those gimp tips, I have the pallete)

Comment on this please, which color??

Damn thing still looks like it's wearin' pants... Oh well, that said, I like the third one the best. Nice and pale... Also, the second one might make a good Hell Knight, too... Though I suppose they could be switched around, as well. I dunno... The point is, the third one is my fave and the second one is my second fave.

geekmarine said:

I like the third one the best. Nice and pale... Also, the second one might make a good Hell Knight, too... Though I suppose they could be switched around, as well.

Agreed, those two are the best - but I'd go for the paler one as the HK.

The Baron fireballs are the BAL7 series of sprites.

What kind of demon/bio thing has pants but no feet, cmon this ain't ghetto ;)

I'd prefer the "pants" to be the color of it's hair like the baron, not just typical pants.

The only thing I'm not too keen on with the orange one is the error diffusion dithering artifacts (odd pixels of a non matching colour meant to make the whole thing look like a slightly different colour). However, that's the problem with working with a limited palette. Did other dithering methods look worse? You seem to have used a different method for the other colours.

second and third ones are best! Try having him turn green for his attack sprites :P or maybe have him SPIT green fireballs? I like how it looks like the second one has different markings on it's face. a 'mask' if you will. that would be cool for it.

Yeah second and third best, although dithering on second is a bit pronounced.

Maybe one scheme for baron and one for hell knight? What do you think?

I have to know where the green balls appear, in onder to do the attack poses. They seem to appear in the middle of the sprite, Am I wrong??

Also, do I have to use deutex?? I'm using wadgc from xwadtools to put the sprite in a wad.

I believe the green fireball comes out dead center (at 32 units above the ground, in the very middle of the sprite). References: WhackEd2 and EDGE's default ATTACKS.DDF file.

MaaMQ said:

Also, do I have to use deutex?? I'm using wadgc from xwadtools to put the sprite in a wad.

Use whatever you like - we prefer the final submission to be a set of GIF images, but of course you need to build a WAD to test it out.