Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheShep

Next Night (from newstuff) speedrun

The time for it is in 3:27. It's also in easy mode, why? Because its my first ever speedrun, and these things are not cakewalk affairs.

I sent it off to opulent, but I guess he hasn't posted it yet. I'll send it to you too grazz

Sending it to one of the moderators is quite enough, I'd think... If for no other reason then at least to avoid confusion. But yeah, I'd like to see it as well! Haven't checked out "Next Night" yet so the demo would be a good guide to the map.

It's here.

I took the liberty of adding a little information to the textfile, so people know what they can watch it with. At least, I presume it is a Prboom 2.2.x default complevel demo, judging from the mbflmpc output.

Incidentally, I understand that a new version of this wad has been uploaded to the archive (some bugfixes), so it's likely this demo will only work with the version dated 7-Feb-2005.

yes it is a prboom compatible demo, i had some serious mouse issues; the mouse just doesn't work as nice in prboom as in zdoom.

you'll see when i activate the switch with th ecaco by it, how the mouse really spazzes on me, and in the beginning. is there a way to get the mouse to work more apporpriate in prboom? it works too much like doom2.exe, like you can move the person around with only the mouse, and that conflicts with my keyboard action... i don't know, maybe i have to get used to those PRBoom ways, which is why i dont play wads with prboom, the whole mouse issue.

But regardless, enjoy the demo.

b00mb0dy said:

is there a way to get the mouse to work more apporpriate in prboom? it works too much like doom2.exe, like you can move the person around with only the mouse, and that conflicts with my keyboard action...

Disable vertical sensitivity (set mouse_sensitivity_vert to 0 in the .cfg file or via "mouse sensitivity" in the in-game menus). [As an aside, a similar effect can be achieved in Doom2.exe by using a little TSR program called novert - this is used by many of the compet-n players.]

You can also turn off stuff like weapon recoil (AFAIK, no one seems to like this) and enhanced monster AI (which has quite a major impact on gameplay). This can be done via the menus, by editing the .cfg file, or by simply adding the appropriate -complevel to your command line.

now, i don't feel like renaming and doing a bunch of zipping right now, but i have a 2:34 sitting on my drive. I must say that even that one can be improved.

i'll try later for a better time, my brain is busted atm...

I decided to try a UV run... first few times i died, but i can still make the run with all the items i had in easy, with luck i believe...

anyhow, first demo for Next Night in UV: 3:06.

sending to ops.

Interesting! So, your first exit in UV was 21 seconds, or 10%, quicker than your first exit on ITYTD... That's what experience gives you. I've had second exits (for UV max) where my time was half that of the first exit. :-)

Here's something else interesting, I'm playing from a laptop, as my desktops mobo blew up, and is in repair... so yea, I'd say my performance is rather worthy, this being the first map i've tried to run.

thanks Kristian, Grazza, and Opulent for the kinds words.

I'll still be working on it, but I'm going to play 11 years of doom now.