Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Immortality thread/article

Why would I want to live forever if that means that I won't be able to enjoy any of the harmful pleasures of life?

$5 says that immortality "treatments" will only be available to the rich or famous, while the poor and unremarkable are left to rot. I wouldn't be surprised if dictators and politicians use such treatments or whatever to extend their reign forever, either.

Everything will meet its end. Even black holes evaporate. Why anyone would want immortality, or even live beyond 100+ years is beyond me.

Alex Chiu said:
The search engine tells the entire truth. So do your own research on search engines.

Never doubt what a search engine says.

I don't know, this guy is fucking RAY KURZWEIL. Who else is at least vaguely familiar with his work in sound engineering? *raises hand* I'd believe him.

I want to live to be a 120 year old Kung Fu master and a constant thorn in the side of the corporatist powers.

Random relevant literary reference: In part of Gulliver's Travels there's a part with people who gave up their vision in order to be immortal. Gulliver is offered the chance to be immortal, but gets the hell out of there when he sees that everyone is blind.

A problem would be that the world would be come greatly over populated very quickly if everyone where to acheive immortality. :D

After insulin treatments were ineffective, Kurzweil devised his own solution, including a drastic cut in fat consumption, allowing him to control his diabetes without insulin.

I'm jealous. :D

All the talk of Nanotechnology makes me think of Xenogears. :D

Ultraviolet said:

What is this Deus?

A biological weapon of sorts that ended up being a god of some sort or something in xenogears.

I'm scared to die. Ever think about what it would be like to be completely out of existence once you die, it's not a nice thought once you think hard about it. Gotta think about things like this.

Bloodskull said:

Ever think about what it would be like to be completely out of existence once you die, it's not a nice thought once you think hard about it. Gotta think about things like this.

It's not nice? Was the time beore your conception/birth unpleasant for you somehow?

You have NOT existed far longer than you have or ever will have consciousness. And one day we all shall cease to exist again. Don't worry about it, you can't experience eternal nothingness.

Quast said:

you can't experience eternal nothingness.

Doesn't mean you can't be afraid of it.

Quast said:
Everything will meet its end. Even black holes evaporate. Why anyone would want immortality, or even live beyond 100+ years is beyond me.

Really? I mean, maybe not forever, but I'd love to stick around for a few millennia. See what happens to the human race...

I don't see "the world" changing, in the sense that politics will always be generally the same as it is and always has been, and people will socialize as they normally would, but I would like to have more time to accomplish something worth accomplishing.

Living forever would not only suck it would be immoral and unethical. Why not fix real problems in the world, hmm?

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's impossible too. I didn't mention it because I assumed anyone could figure that out, but I edited my post for the few people who can't.

Ultraviolet said:

We'd never grow in space travel?

Of course we will, but I am more interested in travelling through dimensions, despite the pleasure of space travel.