Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EuronymousKilledDead

Doom I + II (Xbox) graphical enhancements?

Obviously my first post so bear with me in case this question has already been asked and/or is just plain stupid to you. Anyways...I'm wondering if they have graphically enhanced the Collector's Edition versions of Ultimate and Doom II for the XBOX at all if anyone knows? I haven't seen anything mentioned along the lines on any sites I have checked out etc personally.

as far as I know, no its going to remain the same as it was before.

Heh, if you got the game on the PC, I suggest you do a search on the Jdoom source port which graphically enhance Doom.

DoomDan said:

Im just hoping the games wont look pixalated

I am hoping that they are pixelated. Doom sprites look terribly ugly when smoothed. Makes them all blurry-like. Of course it works for, say, the Doom 64 sprites, because those are significantly higher resolution.

Hopefully They will add the PSX Doom Soundtracks, and maybe an ArchVile [Which if they do, then this will be the first Console Doom to feature them]

About the archvile --

That reminds me, this is going to be the first console that DOOM has come out for that actually contains everything needed to hold all of the content the games.

All of the other console DOOMs are missing things because the console simply couldn't handle this or that for whatever reason. The XBox can handle all of it... so maybe we'll actually see a faithful port as far as content goes?

AgentSpork said:

I am hoping that they are pixelated. Doom sprites look terribly ugly when smoothed. Makes them all blurry-like. Of course it works for, say, the Doom 64 sprites, because those are significantly higher resolution.

You'd have a hell of a time making a game look pixellated on most TV screens. TV's automatically blur everything, after all.

I've had .avi's with resolutions less than 320x200 look almost acceptable when played through my TV :).

LavaDemon said:

What is DOOM 1 and 2 coming to xbox?

I think they are just gonna be straight ports of the PC versions of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 with splitscreen deathmatch and co-op although Im hoping they add the PSX doom soundtracks.

I'm also curious as to which soundtrack they intend to add to the Xbox freebie. Though another relevant question is if it's going to be a bright, straight PC port or if it'll the darker more abbreviated PSX version. Frankly, I think it'd be very lazy if they just essentially ported the PSX version to the Xbox. I'd rather they took PC faithful levels and gave them the PSX style colored sectors, sounds and soundtrack as well as the archvile. But that'd simply be asking too much, wouldn't it?

I can now confirm that yes, Its going to look exactly the same as the old PC versions.This means that game will look pixelated.

DoomDan said:

I can now confirm that yes, Its going to look exactly the same as the old PC versions.This means that game will look pixelated.

Mind sharing with us exactly how you know this?

Whichever option they end up chosing, I'm quite sure it'll be worth to check out especially for what, ten bucks more? I was mainly just curious although it would be amazing and most likely too much to ask, to have the original PC versions with the PSX sounds/music added. I'd still like to know if the person behind that music had done anything in a regular music release realm and/or other soundtracks.

DoomDan said:

To look pixellated on a TV screen, it would have to be lower resolution than the PC version...

"To look pixellated on a TV screen, it would have to be lower resolution than the PC version.."

No, I think the discussion here is about how textures and sprites are filtered, not the screen resolution. Of course TV will blur things a bit but when walking up to a wall we should still be able to see the large square pixels that make up that texture.

I imagine the overall screen resoultion would be higher then 320x240.

AgentSpork said:

They look bad when mipmapped linear, but HQ2x (or 3x/4x/etc) and trilinear filtering (see ZDoomGL) make them look pretty good.

Ultraviolet said:

They look bad when mipmapped linear, but HQ2x (or 3x/4x/etc) and trilinear filtering (see ZDoomGL) make them look pretty good.

I would have to say that HQ2x makes the sprites look good. I don't think it works quite as well for the textures, however.

I'm glad they finally got DOOM on a console without changing anything. (Forget the split-screen, that's another story.) It took 12 years and almost a dozen consoles to finally get it right. Too bad they couldn't put in an option for PSX style lighting. Though, I'll take the perfectly unchanged levels over the cooler lighting.

I just picked up the collectors edition fo Doom 3 for XBOX. The classic doom games graphics are the same as the original computer release. It runs super fast on the XBOX as compared to the 66 mhz mac I used to run it on.