Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Green Gates

What music do you listen to?

Me:

7 Seconds
Black Flag
Necros ("reject, rejeeeect" :D)
Old Green Day (Kerplunk and 1039, Smoothed Out Slappy Hour)
Old Metallica (a.k.a. Kill Em All)
Pinhead Gunpowder (my favorite, although other than that I like all of the listed music equally :))
Pennywise
Sloppy Seconds

I'm trying to find some more great punk rock or metal bands. Does anybody have any to recommend so I can download them off of Limewire?

OSTs from various shows of various types,
OSTs from games,
Music extracted from games that have no OSTs,
Music extracted from shows that have no OSTs,
J-pop,
And a little bit others.

Though right now my playlist is only at (around) 500 I aim to get it bigger soon. :D

Jimmy Buffet rocks your ass with his unique variety of thrash metal.

Edit: I'll just cut straight to the chase and mention that my taste in music is superior to everyone else's. If you disagree, you are wrong.

Amaster said:

Edit: I'll just cut straight to the chase and mention that my taste in music is superior to everyone else's. If you disagree, you are wrong.

A billion HA HA HA's edited out by Cyb because I don't want to look at this shit.

Congratulations, that post has earned you a short stay in Losers. Please read the FAQ and try not to make such stupid posts in future.

Um, to avoid this turning into the song thread, I'll talk about some general genres I enjoy.

The NYC No Wave scene was about the peak of music for me. I'm also really being on avantgarde anything, especially jazz. Free jazz, especially the kind of dissonant improvisational duo stuff really works for me. Noise suits me nicely as well, especially the more organic sounding stuff. I like punk music of varying ages, from the prototype styles of Velvet Underground and Nico to the psychotic rants of the Crucifucks and grunge before it went mainstream, especially early Nirvana stuff. I also like most post-punk and the early industrial stuff that was influenced heavily by it. More chaotic classical artists such as Stravinsky also please me.

Metal mostly, although I do enjoy some grunge era bands, namely Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

But metal is where my heart is. I love bands like Death, Slayer, Carcass, and even some black stuff like Emperor. Hell, I like Opeth, too.

Since two months back, mainly Bach. Music was perfected 250 years ago, so why settle for less?

Also, some Miles Davis.

Industrial, thrash and a little doom metal. There are also some bands that people tend to thoughtlessly dump into the hated 'nu-metal' catagory.

Mainly thrash, death, "nu" and power metal. Also a little hard rock.

Psychedelic, heavy metal, thrash metal, and classical. Also some game music (e.g. Unreal).

sargebaldy said:

Music can only be "perfect" if you look at it as a science. I prefer to look at it as an art.

If I perceive it as perfect, then it is. The great thing about art is that anyone can interpret things the way they want, and make up their own criteria for what's good, bad, or even perfect. My criteria clearly don't coincide with yours on many accounts. (Also, though you may dislike symmetry and straight lines and the like, those are forms of perfection on a lower level than what I am talking about in this particular instance.)

Science, on the other hand, can by definition (the scientific method) not be perfect. Unless you are talking about whether something can map perfectly onto a particular scientific model. In that case your statement is still wrong, since it is possible to construct scientific models that fit any phenomena perfectly.

Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, NIN, Radiohead, Beck, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, GYBE!, VAST, DJ Shadow, Soundgarden, Coil, Cake, Thelonious Monk, Telefon Tel Aviv, Sigur Rós, Korn, Kid Koala, RJD2, etc etc etc.

Everything. And when I say "everything" I don't mean "anything that sounds relatively the same no matter how old it is".

Kristian Ronge said:

Which Bach, though? ... I assume you mean Johann Sebastian (1685-1750)?

Well duh.

Fredrik said:

If I perceive it as perfect, then it is.

No, it isn't. What you perceive as true is only true from your own perspective. However your claim, stripped of any reflexive and therefore not gramatically limited to your own worldview, extends past these boundaries to suggest a more general fact, that from any perspective your sentiment rings true. Applying an opinion as general fact is to hold any other perceptions of the matter at the hand nulled by the factual claim proving cardinally otherwise.

Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Three Dog Night, a ton of OCRemix stuff (Metroid and Zelda mixes RULE), some of the better DOOM remixes (I need to find the old E1M1 stuff...somebody link me to it), Cake, Weird Al, a little Metallica, a little Mozart or Chopin every now and again, ooh, and Smashing Pumpkins (good stuff). I'm definitely not as into the metal thing as people around here. I think the hardest song I listen to on a regular basis is "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor".

DC

sargebaldy said:

No, it isn't. What you perceive as true is only true from your own perspective. However your claim, stripped of any reflexive and therefore not gramatically limited to your own worldview, extends past these boundaries to suggest a more general fact, that from any perspective your sentiment rings true. Applying an opinion as general fact is to hold any other perceptions of the matter at the hand nulled by the factual claim proving cardinally otherwise.

That is your opinion.

Fredrik said:

That is your opinion.

It's your opinion that it's my opinion. It's quite possible that I don't mean a word I say. What people say and what they think are not in necessity the same and may in fact never be. Assuming that one holds a definitive opinion at all.