Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dutch Doomer

interpic question

Im trying to create an good looking interpic,so i have made a few.
But as soon as i load them into xwe as an bmp picture,the colors are all looking faded.
So i really want to know which kind of colors are heavily supported by the doom pallette,so i can create something that looks good.
Well i got a brown interpic too and that one looks rather good,so can it be that brown is a good color to use.

The doom palette supports highly-saturated blues, greens, reds and bright yellows and has many shades of peach, pink, brown and grey, so yes, brown is a good colour to use in interpics.

Seeing as I don't know how the titlepic turned out for you when loaded into XWE, I don't know if this (the same image, converted into the Doom palette) is any better than what you got when you loaded yours into XWE. Is it any better?

Xenophon said:

(...) Is it any better?

No mine is about the same too,it still looks okay but i rather had the high quality one in my wad,is there a way to prefend losing the quality of this picture or do i just have to life with the result i am getting now.

Not that I know of, every port and WAD editor that I know of doesn't allow images greater than 256 colours. You could make a new Doom pallete, but the appearance of the level is much more important than the titlepic so I don't recommend it..

Some ports are adding support for PNG images. I don't know which ones apart from EDGE 1.29 which is not released yet (it's in beta testing).

Bloodshedder said:

ZDoom supports PNG images.

My wad that im creating is for Zdoom,so im gonna try to import it as an PNG image lets see if it gets any better.
If that doesn't help im just gonna leave it the way as it is now,this stupid idea of mine is only delaying my release date :(

Thanks guys for your feedback.

When using .pngs in ZDoom, they can have any palette you like, but ZDoom will still automatically translate them to the standard 256 colour Doom palette.

NiGHTMARE said:

When using .pngs in ZDoom, they can have any palette you like, but ZDoom will still automatically translate them to the standard 256 colour Doom palette.

How do i prefent zdoom to translate it to 256 colours,i have no idea how to do this.

dutch devill said:

How do i prefent zdoom to translate it to 256 colours,i have no idea how to do this.

You can't. Zdoom uses an 8bit colour mode in it's software renderer. No matter what you do the colours are remapped to the same 256 colour palette, that of PLAYPAL.

You either need to:

A) live with it
B) use a port that supports 32bit colour and texture replacement
C) change the PLAYPAL (which means you'll need to change all the other graphics).

DaniJ said:

You either need to:

A) live with it
B) use a port that supports 32bit colour and texture replacement
C) change the PLAYPAL (which means you'll need to change all the other graphics).

I choose:
A) live with it

All the others are too much fraggin work,thanks man that clears it all up.