Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Foofoo

Things in wads that do the rounds...

im in the posting mood so here i go:

What things have you noticed in wads that you see often or so in other wads? like, standard things wad makers use/rip...

i remember the status bar with the 'arms' section with a dark marbley background. i've seen that a few times in a few wads, which is weird cause it was crap enough seeing it the first time.

Also the shotgun sound from terminator 2. thats been used to death.

One thing I would LIKE to see more often is the cwsin weapons pack used in dark7 mp.

I love those gunz...

but really... I guess one thing that annoys me when I hear it is the quake sound fx.. just get this kreepy feeling.

Surprisingly, the railgun has not been whored to death in sp... in fact the only place I ever saw it was in Tei Tenga.

Railguns, Heretic/Hexen/Quake-series sounds, miniguns in general (not just those dual-chainguns), Duke/Shadow Warrior graphics...

Nmn said:

Quake 2 ambient sounds.

Heh, yeah. Those get pretty annoying. Those random generic computer beeping noises especially.

Anyways, one thing that annoys me that is used fairly often is those lousy ZDoom particle fountains. They look really stupid 75% of the time.

WildWeasel said:
Railguns, Heretic/Hexen/Quake-series sounds, miniguns in general (not just those dual-chainguns), Duke/Shadow Warrior graphics...

Oh, that's uhhh... intersting...

*Captain red hides latest project under the rug

I'm absolutely sick of the Shadow Warrior Uzis. Now, even though I used it in one of my projects, whenever I see the SW uzis in a weapons mod, I promptly remove it from my system. Same thing with the SW riotgun, the duke shotgun, and most Half-Life/CS screenshot atrocities.

Infinite Ammunition said:

excuse me sir, mock2 made AWESOME use of them

What, you mean MAP39?

Xenophon said:

Even when they're used correctly?

There is no way to use them correctly.

Th eproblem isn't that they're poorly drawn, quite the contrary. It's that they are used in SOO many projects that they're boring. Most people I would wager have no idea where they came from (I had no idea until maybe about a year ago) and they are used without giving any heed to whether they should be there.

Also that silver status bar that appears in oh so many projects.

Oh come on, so now people are supposed to create fountains by having a square water platform floating over more water and adding a waterfall texture instead of just using a blue particle fountain?

dont make fountains dammit!

I've only seen those guns in Twice Risen, I always thought that was where they came from, cause they worked so well in it. So you're saying Justin Fisher made them?

kristus said:

I've only seen those guns in Twice Risen, I always thought that was where they came from, cause they worked so well in it. So you're saying Justin Fisher made them?

They are in Justin Fisher's Nemisis, which is dated 5-March-1996.

(There's some info on Nemisis here, and since the file itself doesn't seem to have been archived, I've put a copy here. It deserves to be more notable for its map02 than for the chainguns though.)

Grazza said:

(There's some info on Nemisis here, and since the file itself doesn't seem to have been archived, I've put a copy here. It's should be more notable for its map02 than for the chainguns though.)

Holy crap that's an awesome mod. It has features and details that many modern wads lack or don't even have. Thanks for posting that, Grazza!

Xenophon said:

Oh come on, so now people are supposed to create fountains by having a square water platform floating over more water and adding a waterfall texture instead of just using a blue particle fountain?

yes!!

Doom64 sounds, weapons, textures and flats and enemies, not that there's anything wrong with that IMO.

You know, I've seen the same textures, sounds, music, weapons and enemies in what must be tens of thousands of Doom (2) wads...

Things that get used too much = the doom2 textures, sprites, etc.

this may be what the previous poster was saying, but i figured i would jus come out and say it.

NiGHTMARE said:

You know, I've seen the same textures, sounds, music, weapons and enemies in what must be tens of thousands of Doom (2) wads...