Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Physics Phun.

This thread is the place to share you anecdotes about interesting/awesome/hilarious physics glitches.

For example: I was attacked by a fat zombie in one of the bathrooms, so I beat it to death with the flash light, and when it died, for some reason it rested in pose similar to a man proposing.

I’ve also noticed hitting dead bodies on the head makes them shoot up in the air (this was with a patch that stop them gibbing).

I've recently purchased half life 2. I've been addicted to the multiplayer aspect of it. And honestly, after playing halflife2, doom3's physics are laughable at best in comparison.

Once I shot a barrel and it turned continuously on itself (the axis was vertical), as if there were no friction on the ground.

baronofhell said:

I've recently purchased half life 2. I've been addicted to the multiplayer aspect of it. And honestly, after playing halflife2, doom3's physics are laughable at best in comparison.

Bahahaha not quite. Half Life 2 just lets you do more physics-like puzzles with a physics toy. Besides that your post is not the point of this thread. Considering you just had a thread helled for hl2 trolling, you may want to watch yourself.

On topic, without using a corpse-stay patch it's hard to say, but I do recall using the shotgun on imps and having them do some sort of half backflip before disintegrating. Otherwise, nothing too glitchy.

Heh, spawning like 20 zombies and throwing a grenade in the middle of them is always fun. :P

doom3's physics are laughable at best in comparison.

Well at least iD software actually MADE their physics engine. I personally feel that the game uses the physics as much as they are needed. I don't need 50 million physics puzzles like there are in Half Life 2.

baronofhell said:

Sure it has good graphics and effect's etc, but it really isn't that fun.

I blasted an imp in to a door once, when the door tried to close the burning imp began to swirl and twist like it was spazzing out or something, it was like the imp was fighting to escape deaths clutches, looked very cool.

Not so much a glitch but I love it when I fire a BFG ball at something as huge as a hellknight and watching it soar across the room. I also love hitting the cacooned bodies in the spider chamber.

Heh, I'm not sure if this fits into the category of "Physics Fun", but.. this is pretty wierd. Not quite sure how I managed to make it happen though..

baronofhell said:

Half Life 2 takes place on Earth, Doom 3 takes place on Mars and Hell. Go figure.

AgentSpork said:

Heh, I'm not sure if this fits into the category of "Physics Fun", but.. this is pretty wierd. Not quite sure how I managed to make it happen though..

wtf

baronofhell said:

As the others have said, you can't compare the two games' physics. ROE will feature a 'Grabber', similar to HL2's gravity gun. Then, as long as the developers utilise it properly, we'll see...

Anyway, AgentSpork what is that deformed zombie???

DoomUK said:

As the others have said, you can't compare the two games' physics.

I agree because they aren't even on the same level. :P The only way doom3 even compares to hl2 is in graphics. I mean, you can only go down dark corridors and get ambushed for so long. I was a big fan of doom the original and doom2 - This game doesn't capture that atmosphere at all. I'm trudging through doom3 now because you can only beat hl2 on hard so many times before it gets boring.

Half Life2 didn't do nearly as much for me as Doom3 did, but that's just a matter of taste. As for the physics. Yeah Half Life2 might have a bit more flawless physicl, but IMO the carcasses in Doom3 have a more real sensation to them cause of their stiffness, where as the carcasses in half life 2 REALLY were ragdolls, they dangle around like mad. And that's more important to me than weather he'll fall down totally realistically every time. HL2 was a very good game, but IMO they killed it themselves by overexposure of that godawful Gravity gun and the last map was just stupid.

Also I hated those places where they forced you to stand about managing a bunch of turrets, OMG it fell down I gotta get it up again. Why? BECAUSE WITH HAVOC I CAN LOLOLOLOOLOLL.

Anyway back on topic. Well, once I killed a zombie so taht his right arm got caught by a railing so he stopped falling down and stood with his body looking down at the ground. Looked pretty stupid, also is very fun when the monsters go into a split when dying. :p

kristus said:

Half Life2 didn't do nearly as much for me as Doom3 did, but that's just a matter of taste. As for the physics. Yeah Half Life2 might have a bit more flawless physicl, but IMO the carcasses in Doom3 have a more real sensation to them cause of their stiffness, where as the carcasses in half life 2 REALLY were ragdolls, they dangle around like mad.

How do you know how carcasses should act? Do you have something to tell us? :P Afaik, the body is quite nonrigid until rigor mortis sets in. Also, how do you get the damn corpses to stay? Mine just melt away.

Gee, I dunno I apply this thing called common sense. Unlike the corpses in doom3 the halflife corpses is like a rag doll, they give in for anything, in raveholm or whatever there's a corpse in a noose hanging about, that thing sure ass hell isn't in a state of rigor mortis.

There's plenty of ways to get the corpse to stay etc . For instance you can use a corpsestay mod.

I can compare Doom 3's physics to HL2's, in this way: iD Software MADE their physics engine, and Valve BOUGHT their physics engine. Boy, no wonder HL2's physics are so impressive.

AgentSpork said:

I can compare Doom 3's physics to HL2's, in this way: iD Software MADE their physics engine, and Valve BOUGHT their physics engine. Boy, no wonder HL2's physics are so impressive.

Yup indeed! Buying them certainly makes you a more skilled programmer than making them yourself! ;P

AgentSpork said:

I don't think anyone here was comparing iD software to Valve. Ok, so valve bought a physics engine, making a smart choice and admitting they couldn't do such a superb job. iD didn't, and now their "phyics engine" if you want to call it that, is not even comparable. To tell you the truth, while I think hl2 is vastly superior to doom3, I find steam to be absolutely deplorable. Steam and all its mishaps brings Hl2 a tad closer to doom3, but it doesn't fill the entire gap.

I don't get a boner over which company may or may not have better programmers, it's all about which company made the better end game. Now, if you like doom3 better, that's fine. That's your opinion, as my opinion is mine. I do, however, have an onslaught of reasons for my opinion. To all you people that think I shouldn't share my opinion because it's not reflecting of some iD famboy: *grabs crotch*

Ok, so valve bought a physics engine, making a smart choice and admitting they couldn't do such a superb job. iD didn't, and now their "phyics engine" if you want to call it that, is not even comparable.

Doom 3's physics are more than good enough. It does what it needs to do, and does it well. I would rather not have Doom 3 been based completely around physics like Half-Life 2, because that would probably mean stupid, boring physics puzzles like the ones that are in Half-Life 2.

If you don't like Doom 3, then don't post in a Doom 3 forum. You won't see me posting in a Half-Life 2 forum, because, well, I don't like Half-Life 2.

I knew from the instant I saw this thread that there'd be random people saying stupid crap about Doom 3's physics engine and how much superior HL2's is. Big deal.

arigo said:

To all you people that think I shouldn't share my opinion because it's not reflecting of some iD famboy: *grabs crotch*

What exactly are you planning to do with it?

Btw, I think you shouldn't share your opinion because you are ripping this thread from the tracks. You saw the word physics and decided to advertise your HL. Please stop.

AgentSpork said:

I would rather not have Doom 3 been based completely around physics like Half-Life 2, because that would probably mean stupid, boring physics puzzles like the ones that are in Half-Life 2.

There really aren't that many puzzles, and the ones that are there are extremely simplistic. To say that halflife2 was completely based around physics is downright laughable. I got a kick out of the physics puzzles in hl2 that demonstrated the engine. That was new territory, and no game had ever done anything like it. I enjoyed having to think a little instead of the same old same old.

That said, what really impressed me was the environment. I step from the train among other people, and trash flies by in the breeze. On a building sits a TV with a man talking, greeting us and making a reference to safety. It seems innocent and friendly - I quickly learn what a dystopia city 17 really is, and I want revenge the second I'm beat for throwing the can at the guard that knocked it off and told me to put it in the trash - this I later get. The game actually has a story, and I am bombarded with stimulus throughout. The AI on the hardest skill is the best I've ever seen in a game too - They are actually conniving. We both know how doom3 compares so I won't go into it.

AgentSpork said:

If you don't like Doom 3, then don't post in a Doom 3 forum. You won't see me posting in a Half-Life 2 forum, because, well, I don't like Half-Life 2.

I think Doom3 is worth playing through once. That's actually what I'm doing right now, and I signed up on this board, at first, to get input on how to deal with a bug I have in the game. Just because I think Hl2 is superior doesn't mean I despise doom3. I'm playing it, and I like it enough to give it my time.

AgentSpork said:

I knew from the instant I saw this thread that there'd be random people saying stupid crap about Doom 3's physics engine and how much superior HL2's is. Big deal.

You can label it "stupid crap" if you want to, it doesn't make it any less true.

Janderson said:

What exactly are you planning to do with it?

Btw, I think you shouldn't share your opinion because you are ripping this thread from the tracks. You saw the word physics and decided to advertise your HL. Please stop.

It was a gesture of ill will. Anyway, I didn't start the comparison to hl2, I just defended it.

arigo said:

...I got a kick out of the physics puzzles in hl2 that demonstrated the engine. That was new territory, and no game had ever done anything like it...

...That said, what really impressed me was the environment...

Absolutely agree, I thought HL2's little 'puzzles', if you want to call them that were great. Intelligent enough without being ridiculously hard, showing off the physics engine perfectly. And you know what? I thought the gravity gun was anything but overused, it again gave the player a chance to play with some pretty awesome exaplmes of game physics. The enviroment was what struck me also, quite breathtaking in places...

But as I and others have said before, you just can't compare Doom 3's physics... As for all this talk about glitches, HL2 isn't without them. Personally, I'm waiting for ROE's grabber toy to show us what Doom 3's physics engine can do, in Doom 3 you weren't even given a chance to see the damn physics... .

DoomUK said:

in Doom 3 you weren't even given a chance to see the damn physics... .

That's exactly the reason people say Doom 3's physics are non-existant and laughable.

footman said:

That's exactly the reason people say Doom 3's physics are non-existant and laughable.

Not quite. With the limited amount we see, we notice some really silly stuff happen from time to time. Like gravity not working.