Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mancubus II

Doom Movie Storyboards

Recommended Posts

Our funderful man-in-the-know Jouni Lahtinen has once again sent along more information about the Doom movie, this time in the form of a couple of storyboards. You can view them here and also here. For those that might be asking, yes they're legal to display, as they're being shown on the creator's own website. They appear to be Doom3 designs, and kind of exciting. It's hard to say where in the movie development timeline these were made, but if anything like this is in the actual movie...

Share this post


Link to post

The monsters look just like they do in Doom 3, so people will complain.

If the monsters had looked just like they do in Doom 1/2, other people would have complained.

If the film makers had taken more artistic licenses with the designs, yet another set of people would have complained.

People sure love complaining, don't they?

Personally I think those scetches look cool, and hope they survive the transition to live action.

Share this post


Link to post

This one also says it's from the Doom movie if you scroll down to the VERY bottom of the page (why there's a huge space between the bottom of the pic and the caption, I don't know).

Now about the storyboards themselves:

The first one linked is obviously the Baron, and let me say it does indeed look a bit more like a mutant rather than a demon. And how come there's nothing on it's hands to show it might be able to throw fireballs?

The second one looks a bit more promising since it looks a lot more like the Imp in that pic than the other pic had what looked like the Baron. Still, look at the Imp's midriff; it sports the quintessential "zombie-with-its-lower-abomen-disemboweled" look from every other modern horror movie ever made.

Share this post


Link to post

Keep in mind that these are just storyboards. Such things are never drawn with a high degree of detail because it's not worth the time. Only things that require emphasis or are important to the scene in question are drawn out well.

Share this post


Link to post

The creature designs are actually pretty good, but I have yet to see a horned demon. Gimme a big ol towerin demonic minotaur damnit! That is all I ask.

Share this post


Link to post
NiGHTMARE said:

Haven't you ever played Doom 3? The creature in the first storyboard looks exactly like D3's Hellknight.


No, it doesn't "exactly" look the Hell Knight. It's head looks more more like a human's and its feet look more like an elephant's than the one in the game.

Share this post


Link to post

I also found this on that site. Creature concept? Hell Knight-like thing? Looks a bit like the one in the storyboard.

Edit: I just noticed that on the artist's resume page, it also says that he worked on the Doom concept pitch when the director was slated to be Enda McCallion.

Share this post


Link to post

well, i suppose we'll be seeing at least SOME of the monsters. i dunno about the lost soul, revenant, the cherubim, or some of the others, but i wouldn't be suprised to see creatures like trites, maggots, etc. as well as what we see here.

Share this post


Link to post

Dodge said:
No, it doesn't "exactly" look the Hell Knight. It's head looks more more like a human's and its feet look more like an elephant's than the one in the game.

The head reminds me of the classic DOOM Imp. I wonder if they'll design monsters in a themed way like in The Lord of the Rings, where many of the monsters shared certain traits.

Most of those designs look nothing like DOOM 3 monsters.

Share this post


Link to post

*yawns* another news thread showing the movie's absolute suckage and Nightmare defending it to the grave.

And yeah, the Hellknight looks more human. No surprise since they're now "humans mutated by a virus."

Share this post


Link to post

myk: No offence intended, but if you honestly think these look nothing like Doom 3 monsters, you're even more blind than I am! :P You really think this looks nothing like this? I am quite certain that if this piece of concept art were being used in something that had nothing to do with Doom (e.g. a rival FPS), you'd be one of the first ones screaming "WTF they completely ripped off the Hell Knight!"

Xenphire: No, according to you they're "humans mutated by a virus". The IMDB description merely mentions mutants, not that they're mutated humans or that they were created by a virus - and as the IMD description has now changed at least three or four times, and once mentioned Phobos, I wouldn't really trust it too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Xenphire said:

*yawns* another news thread showing the movie's absolute suckage and Nightmare defending it to the grave.

And yeah, the Hellknight looks more human. No surprise since they're now "humans mutated by a virus."

Stop whining. Nobody can judge this movie until it comes out. What gives you the right to say it sucks and then complain at NiGHTMARE for saying it doesn't? Grow up and stop acting like a selfish child.

Share this post


Link to post
NiGHTMARE said:

Xenphire: No, according to you they're "humans mutated by a virus". The IMDB description merely mentions mutants, not that they're mutated humans or that they were created by a virus - and as the IMD description has now changed at least three or four times, and once mentioned Phobos, I wouldn't really trust it too much.


Well since you seem to know whats going on with the movie, why don't you tell us what's going on with it? Because apparently the sources that have information on the movie are wrong on almost everything, according to you. Got inside sources in the movie business, or something? Or is it a thing of selective reading where you pay attention to what you like and deny what you don't and call it a lie? I'm pretty sure its the latter.

Share this post


Link to post

What I am trying to make you understand is that no Doom: the Movie storyline information has been officially released.

Some of the people directly involved in the movie have released little snippets of information on their websites (e.g. the stunt guy playing all the Imps says there'll be four Imps in the movie, and that one of them is fought in a sewage system), and we can guess about some story elements based on the credits listing, the storyboards linked to in this very thread, etc.

However, everything else you have read is rumour, conjecture, hear'say, or just plain lies.

Of course, at least some of what you've read almost certainly is true, but none of us can know for certain which information is 100% accurate until the people behind the movie release an official plot synopsis, the film reviews start coming in, and we've actually seen the film for ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
NiGHTMARE said:

What I am trying to make you understand is that no Doom: the Movie storyline information has been officially released.

Some of the people directly involved in the movie have released little snippets of information on their websites (e.g. the stunt guy playing all the Imps says there'll be four Imps in the movie, and that one of them is fought in a sewage system), and we can guess about some story elements based on the credits listing, the storyboards linked to in this very thread, etc.

However, everything else you have read is rumour, conjecture, hear'say, or just plain lies.

Of course, at least some of what you've read almost certainly is true, but none of us can know for certain which information is 100% accurate until the people behind the movie release an official plot synopsis, the film reviews start coming in, and we've actually seen the film for ourselves.

Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
unity said:

"News" is about 7 months old. Look here:
http://www.doom3maps.org/comment.php?832

If you need further details to the movie, characters etc. look here:
http://www.doom3maps.org/comment.php?1522

but be warned its only german :-).

cheers.


Babel Fish to the rescue! (Here's what I got):

There are pieces of news of the Barrandov barrandov-Studio from Prague: According to an article on screen-DAILY, which is accessible to only registered users, the turning work was already locked to the Doom film end of the last week. Now, where the actors go home, the film is however still long not posed. Now it goes having to the preserving and the special effects at High end Workstatons to be provided. Therefore will worry no smaller one than Stan Winston, which was responsible among other things for the visualization of the terminator row. From Stan one knows that he got the technical evolution going of the motion picture film already several times. On 05 August there is to be the Doom film to admire for the first time on the canvas in North America.

Live with the mistranslations.

Stan Winston????? Should that be wootage or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Dodge said:

Stan Winston????? Should that be wootage or not?

His studio does good work. Which means the production values on this movie should be pretty high.

As opposed to, say, Power Rangers, or Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

Share this post


Link to post

NiGHTMARE said:
myk: No offence intended, but if you honestly think these look nothing like Doom 3 monsters, you're even more blind than I am! :P You really think this looks nothing like this?

That's just one design, Baker. The rest look more like something out of Jim Henson's Labyrinth creations.

I am quite certain that if this piece of concept art were being used in something that had nothing to do with Doom (e.g. a rival FPS), you'd be one of the first ones screaming "WTF they completely ripped off the Hell Knight!"

Okay... got any more totally inaccurate and unnecessary certainties about what I should scream to share?

Share this post


Link to post
myk said:

That's just one design, Baker. The rest look more like something out of Jim Henson's Labyrinth creations.

Are you talking about the other creature designs and sketches on that Federico D'Alessandro website (the site that is linked to in the news)? Not everything there is Doom related.

Share this post


Link to post
myk said:

That's just one design, Baker. The rest look more like something out of Jim Henson's Labyrinth creations.Okay... got any more totally inaccurate and unnecessary certainties about what I should scream to share?

The rest? There's only the design for one other Doom creature on that site.

Share this post


Link to post

Hmph. Maybe Doom Movie won't be such a piece of shit at all..

Then again, Resident Evil: Apocalypse had Nemesis, Jill and a couple other well executed in a movie concepts from the game, and the movie was a pile of crap. We'll live, we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post

NiGHTMARE said:
The rest? There's only the design for one other Doom creature on that site.

Ah, shit... then the Sasquatch and the Troll won't be showing up in the DOOM movie?

Share this post


Link to post

i cant wait for the commercials of the film to come out...its so fits with what is shown on tv it makes sense almost that its a family film...u know we should put together a small contest our own version of the sundance festival and just make doom movies lool indiependent film pwnz anyways

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×