Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Damn publishers

This worries me:

GameSpy: Troika has been around for several years, and had three good titles under its belt. Why do you think you weren't able to secure funding for your next project?

Boyarsky: I'm not sure, you'd have to ask the publishers. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because triple A titles are costing more and more to make, and people are looking for titles that will appeal to a more mainstream audience than ours have traditionally. In plain English, our games just didn't sell enough units.

I thought Vtm: Bloodlines was one of the best RPG games release in a very long time.

What does he mean by "appeal to a more mainstream audience?" It worries me that publishers want to release more EA quality games (which I've seen happening lately).

I blame the majority of games players, for having very low standards when it comes to their choice in games. The publishers are simply following one of the most base of all human instincts, i.e. greed.

NiGHTMARE said:

I blame the majority of games players, for having very low standards when it comes to their choice in games. The publishers are simply following one of the most base of all human instincts, i.e. greed.

Well, the majority of players is simply following stupidity, no doubt the most fundamental human instinct.

Maybe. Though I'd say in a lot of cases it's because they've never played any good games, and are therefore completely unaware just how much better games can be than the crap they're playing.

A bit like someone who's only ever seen action movies would probably have a heart attack if you showed them one of the all time classics ;).

So I'd say it's generally more a case of ignorance, rather than stupidity :).

NiGHTMARE said:

So I'd say it's generally more a case of ignorance, rather than stupidity :).

Though those go pretty well hand in hand.

The important difference is ignorance can often easily be fixed (sit a Sims fanatic down and get him/her to play a bunch of decent games), whereas addressing stupidity takes considerably more effort ;).