Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord Raffles

Do you believe in God?

Scabbed Angel said:

I'm just saying that there should be, based on Christianity's belief that God created everything

Not just that he created everything, but that he IS everything. This is often overlooked. God is everywhere and inside everything. I think that beyond the atom, what makes up the atom, what makes that up and that up, etc. the end result is the unifying force of everything, what we see and what is beyond our limited scope of the universe. That is God.

Janderson said:

I was talking about your Johovah's Witness, silly!

So please tell it in your post rather than…

I do believie in an afterlife. I'm not fanatical, and I don't doubt what science has discovered, like the evolution or anything. I just believe that something happens to us after we die.

Janderson said:

I was talking about your Johovah's Witness, silly!

I didn't even know there had been an accident.

Veddge said:

I do believie in an afterlife. I'm not fanatical, and I don't doubt what science has discovered, like the evolution or anything. I just believe that something happens to us after we die.

Wow, that was outta left field. Belief in God does not necessarily entail belief in an afterlife. Personally, I believe in an afterlife - can't really explain it, but something about it makes sense to me. Then again, there are religions out there which believe in God without believing in an afterlife - heck, Christianity was a big thing in its day - one of the first major religions to say "Afterlife for all" (and yes, that does include Hell for the less-sin-free)... One of the contributing factors to its popularity. However, I don't believe in Hell, though. Strikes me as odd, that a compassionate God would allow Hell to exist. I mean, the thought of people burning for all eternity in hell makes me cringe - I can't imagine an all-loving God being able to deal with that.

I believe in ghosts and therefore souls yet I do not believe in religions, for I believe it is based some how on energy, energy which is earthly and will probably fade over time, but thats what I believe.

geekmarine said:

Wow, that was outta left field. Belief in God does not necessarily entail belief in an afterlife. Personally, I believe in an afterlife - can't really explain it, but something about it makes sense to me. Then again, there are religions out there which believe in God without believing in an afterlife - heck, Christianity was a big thing in its day - one of the first major religions to say "Afterlife for all" (and yes, that does include Hell for the less-sin-free)... One of the contributing factors to its popularity. However, I don't believe in Hell, though. Strikes me as odd, that a compassionate God would allow Hell to exist. I mean, the thought of people burning for all eternity in hell makes me cringe - I can't imagine an all-loving God being able to deal with that.

Although God him/herself can not be falsified, an all-loving God can be disproved in so many ways. On the creation of Hell, many humans are disgustingly sadistic, what is stopping a God?

Geekmarine: I was raised Lutheran, so I have some faith in a god of some kind and an afterlife. It's just that I also agree with most of the things science says too, from everything I've learned in school. I dunno, I guess I would subscribe to the "Belief in a god that created the matter that eventually became the universe, who set everything in motion" faith ;)

I suppose nothing is stopping God from being sadistic, but I wouldn't want to believe that such is the case. And yes, there's the argument "Why would a loving God allow so many bad things to happen in the world?" and my response to that is that I don't believe God interferes at all, for good or bad, She just lets whatever happen, happen. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I have no respect for a cruel God, and I would never want to worship such a God. Funny, I didn't really want to say that I worship God, but I guess I kinda have to acknowledge that I do in order to explain my problem with a cruel God.

geekmarine said:

Personally, I believe in an afterlife - can't really explain it, but something about it makes sense to me.

I have difficulty trying to grasp how people think having eternal awareness makes sense, or sounds reasonable. THAT, as opposed to almost anything else, makes our finite existance severely trivial and pointless.

The concept of eternity makes my brain hurt.

Janderson said:
Although God him/herself can not be falsified,

God is the thing most falsifiable; more so than money, even. The very nature of knowledge and of everything we ever experience (except supposedly in that other world people whisper about) makes the consideration about whether God is true or false irrelevant and inapplicable. God is a concept that is a political factor, and it very much applies to this very world: Referring to a supposed other world absolutely works here.

jesus was a kult leader founded on kults before him please purchase tkk cds also known as thrill kill kult need to be under the influence of lsd if ur gonna worship a god thatll blind u if u look at it thank u lsd sun baby from that show. god does not turn water into wine copperfield does so does this make it magic no its prayer..riiightt u god followers keep telling urself that ima kill u for fucking up my grill

i think there needs to be fake violence so that we wont need to see real violence by a religion that murders people who dont beleive in a god such as christ..hollywood can stop the apocalypse bring back hardcore films with gore and we wont need to shed real blood or worship a man who died cause he fucked ur father i mean was king of jews

Janderson said:

I think God should either be asexual, or a hermaphrodite.

... or a she-male!

MORBIDTWATT said:

jesus was a kult leader founded on kults before him please purchase tkk cds also known as thrill kill kult need to be under the influence of lsd if ur gonna worship a god thatll blind u if u look at it thank u lsd sun baby from that show. god does not turn water into wine copperfield does so does this make it magic no its prayer..riiightt u god followers keep telling urself that ima kill u for fucking up my grill

What the fuck, man. Just stop breathing.

DC

Faith and logic aren't irreconcilable. God, having created the world, the universe and everything in it, is also responsible for the conception of logic. He allows the world to operate by logic and logic has and always did exist. It just so happens that He is capable of transcending it if He so wishes.

ducon said:

And so "He" is responsible of massacres and wars.

No, we're directly responsible for them. He just lets them happen.

That’s the same, "He" lets that happen. Why doesn’t "He" forbid that?

ducon said:

That’s the same, "He" lets that happen. Why doesn’t "He" forbid that?

Why should He when He doesn't owe us anything? We've got free will to screw things up as much or as little as we like.

It's not being lazy, it's called "doing it right the first time". I'm sure if we did the same, we wouldn't have so much work to do.

God told me tell you guys that he doesn't exist, and to stop wasting your time pondering his existance and drink more alcohol instead.

Job said:

Why should He when He doesn't owe us anything? We've got free will to screw things up as much or as little as we like.

Well put, sir.

And in the end, if there isn't a God, we will never know, so believe whatever makes you feel happy or safe. I find nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

I believe in Flurf. His law is that if Job believes in God, I must be sent to hell when I die.

Scabbed Angel said:

And in the end, if there isn't a God, we will never know, so believe whatever makes you feel happy or safe. I find nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

But what if your God is the wrong God and you 'get done' for believing in false idols?