i have a
pentium 166 mhz mmx windows 98
ive tried installing zdoom and zdamon
but when i try to start them i get the error:
DDERR_INVALID
PARAMS
(set last error=87)
even after i do the patch!
ALSO when i try to install doomserv, when its installing drivers to my windows/system directory
i get the mesages : the destination file is write protected.

so i just choose ignore..
now when i try to log on to doomserv i get the error message
run time error 40006
wrong protocol or connection state for reqeusted transfer
please help if you have time.

the first error looks like a directx error, so do you have the latest? Anyway you should probably try reinstall it (DX I mean), it won't hurt. If that doesn't work you should update your video card drivers. If that doesn't work I'm out of ideas

The other, you have a write protected file, so change the file attributes of that file, so that it can get overwritten. Might be a good idea to back it up first tho.

Ok,
Zdoom now works with the latest Direct X 8a, but I did everything with Doomserv- changed the file attributes, overwrote files in system ,put Doomservs md something .ocx file in with it all-everything- still get the same run time error 40006 wrong protocol or connection for transaction, when I try to sign up for Doomserv. Ive selected all the connection speeds in doomserv ive tried filling in all the information- not just required- to no avail. Same error.
Thx

Ok,
Zdoom now works with the latest Direct X 8a, but I did everything with Doomserv- changed the file attributes, overwrote files in system ,put Doomservs md something .ocx file in with it all-everything- still get the same run time error 40006 wrong protocol or connection for transaction, when I try to sign up for Doomserv. Ive selected all the connection speeds in doomserv ive tried filling in all the information- not just required- to no avail. Same error.
Thx

hey man, looks like you are fine with zdaemon now, thanks for the emails :)

You don't need to sign up at doomserv. You may need to read the faq at http://greensting.addr.com. btw, havn't you gotten my feedback yet? I mentioned about that already.