Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iamthejake2000

does anyone play the original doom executables?

does anyone play the original doom executables? i'm just curious.

i recently got nostalgic and set up a dual-boot, winxp and win98, just so i could play portless doom :P

Myk's the dude: http://www.doom2.net/~mykdoom/e2m5/

whoops, I thought you were asking for them.
yeah, many 'players' still use the real game... although most people have moved to Linux/winXP which makes it the ports more preferrable to use.
let me put it this way: most real players still prefer the real engine. and I also prefer it.

Opulent said:

most real players still prefer the real engine.

Replace 'real' with 'exceptionally obsessive' and I'll agree with you :P.

NiGHTMARE said:

Replace 'real' with 'exceptionally obsessive' and I'll agree with you :P.

I meant 'real players' with emphasis on 'players' (meaning those who play competitively).
if you define 'real' as dedicated DOOM players, then of course the ports outweigh the real game like 10 to 1... at least.

Yep.

I use ZDoom most of the time, but occasionally also doom2.exe. With -nosound, it runs very well under Windows XP.

Yes. Four main cases:
1) To test whether a demo I have recorded with Doom2.exe compatibility really does play back with Doom2.exe.
2) If I want to record a demo and need a quicker start than glboom will provide, or where there is some issue with dehacked support.
3) To check if a map works with Doom2.exe.
4) To watch a Doom2.exe demo that doesn't play back with prboom (e.g. one with the noclip bug, or some other weird quirk).

[In the above, "Doom2.exe" can be taken to mean "Doom2.exe or Doom.exe, as appropriate".]

My pc is not very friendly towards dos and similar executables i'm afraid, thus i always use ports these days, occasionally without the neat features they offer to hark back to the old day.

Could try running my game in safemode though and see what happens.

I use the original exe's more frequently than ports. I'm on '98, and I tend to like the 'classic' megawads/addons better than too-fancy new mods...

I think a better question is if any "extreme purists" exist, who refuse to upgrade doom(2).exe (i.e. they use v0.9 for Doom 1, and v1.666 for Doom 2).

Opulent said:

I meant 'real players' with emphasis on 'players' (meaning those who play competitively).
if you define 'real' as dedicated DOOM players, then of course the ports outweigh the real game like 10 to 1... at least.

Chewy is a pretty damned good player and could most likely tear up about 95% of good doom2.exe players

Fredrik said:

I use ZDoom most of the time, but occasionally also doom2.exe. With -nosound, it runs very well under Windows XP.

you don't even need -nosound, putting the volume bars to the far left has the same effect.

NiGHTMARE said:

I think a better question is if any "extreme purists" exist, who refuse to upgrade doom(2).exe (i.e. they use v0.9 for Doom 1, and v1.666 for Doom 2).

I have both of these versions on my dos box, but I play 1.9 the most.

I played jdoom for awhile before I stumbled upon Zdaemon and Zdoom. I never play doom without these programs no need to. also gotta say, kudos to ID for re-releasing the original dooms (Ultimate doom, Doom2, and final doom) in the Collectors Editon. Thats soo much fun for only $15!!! Plus you never have to worry ablut getting back your games. I gotta say awesome.

I _rarely_ play doom2.exe, but I do it on my Windows 98 machine. Normally the only reason I fire it up is to play a game with BahdKo.

Otherwise, I'm on this, my XP box, with prBoom if I want to watch demos or anything. :)

I play ZDaemon fairly regularly.

I dont even have the original binary anymore. I usualy have all 7

• relevant iwads on a backup disc so that i dont need to to go into the basement and search for my original discs when the need should arise.

* -> doom.wad doom2.wad heretic.wad hexen.wad plutonia.wad tnt.wad strife.wad

Sometimes i ask me for what i have hexen and heretic in that zdoom folder, though ;)
    And anyone interested in a strife zdaemon server?

You forgot freedoom.wad and hexdd.wad (Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel).