Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
demonwarpig

help doom sorta.....

Hey, I havent played doom in years and I seen this collectors edition at comp usa for 14 bucks so I grabbed it.

Plays great, except I ahve no mouse. I read the readme and did what it said but I still have no mouse. At the end of the mouse configure in the readme it says that if the mouse dont work after I configure it IM shit out of luck. WTF...ok so anyway i went and dug out an old ps2 mouse and loaded its drivers, and guess what..still no mouse.

Ok ive been sheltered from dos games for a very long time but I cant seem to remeber how to get my damn mouse to work in doom and its killing me.

Can any of you doomers help an old fart relive his pre-pubecent dooming daze?

Heh

Try typing "mouse" at the dos prompt. Maybe you will luck out and happen to have a dos mouse driver on your computer. Either that or play it in Windows in a dos box.

Either get a source port (JDoom, ZDoom, Doom Legacy are all fine), or play the original game like it was supposed to be played: with the keyboard.

Either get a source port (JDoom, ZDoom, Doom Legacy are all fine), or play the original game like it was supposed to be played: with the keyboard.

I play 100% keyboard. My mouse stays on its Duke Nukem 3d mouse pad well I tap away furiosly at the keys.

I play 100% keyboard. My mouse stays on its Duke Nukem 3d mouse pad well I tap away furiosly at the keys.

Yeah, especially since Duke reverses the Mouse Y axis somehow, and the image gets all distorted looking up and down.

Relly? I've all ways played the Orignal, un sorce ported doom.exe with a mouse and the defult keybord layout. I'll tell you one thing, nobody who just uses only the keybord has ever beaten me in DM at a LAN party.

though, I do edit the defult.cfg file so the mouse speed is at 15. I tell everybody I play agenst first so thats not relly cheating... is it?

I used to play with the mouse, back when I first played Doom seven years ago...but I like the keyboard better.

i hate dooming with a mouse, anyway I would sudjest geting a port, zdoom or legacy are both really good, but if u like DOS MBF or PRboom will do

alright thanks for all the help guys, I acutally got my joystick working with it and just use it for direction and firing then use the keyboard for all my sidesteping and opening doors.

with collectors edition doom you have a little front end that starts before each game, you can configure doom, load specific wads, configure sound,mouse,joystick,video and all that jazz. Its just like the old Unreal turnament front end program. I dont even think it will work in a dos window.

Thanks

Lordy lord, if there's ANYTHING worse than using a mouse with a FPS, it's a joystick.

a mouse is good for aiming in games like half-life but as far as movieng with them, keyboard all the way. Besides i have very good shots, and quick times, even with aiming with a keyboard

Yeah keyboarding is especially great when you get used to freelook.

I like watching demos made by keyboarders. They have a smooth almost elegant look about them.

I always play 100% keyboard. I just hate using the mouse in any FPS game. I'm very damn skilled at the keyboard, unlike bbg, who i can easily defeat in DM, even with him at 2x better ping. I also use the original Doom 2 settings. (Up key for forward, Down key for backward, etc.)
Lüt is correct, the joystick is utter shit with FPS games.

Lordy lord, if there's ANYTHING worse than using a mouse with a FPS, it's a joystick.

If there's anything worse than using a joystick, it's using one of those Powergloves.

Granted, joysticks suck for FPS games. Right?

Well, yes and no. Joysticks suck, yes. But gamepads can be used to great effectiveness in FPSes. A friend of mine uses a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad Extreme (great pad for emulators too - I have one) to great effect in many FPS games, including Counterstrike, Quake 3, and Doom. Another man that I know (he's 54 and plays FPS games - he's cool as hell) uses a gamepad with two "L" buttons and a closely-placed start button (like a PSX gamepad) instead of "wasd" or "esdf" on the keyboard, and then uses his five-button mouse for everything else, like aiming. He's quite effective. So, don't underestimate gamepadders in FPS games. Many of them, like my cousin Miguel, learned on consoles (first 32X Doom and then later Turok and Goldeneye) and are now quite competent on the PC using their gamepads.

Now, on the other hand, I really can't understand keyboarders. How can you use a digital-only control mechanism? For me, there has to be some measure of analog control, like an analog stick or a mouse. I personally use a trackball.

But hey, to each their own.

PS: Thinking about it, you really could use a joystick to great effect in an FPS game. Joystick + keyboard. Hmm. Have to look into it.

Hey why do joysticks suck so bad? I grew up on mechwarrior with a joystick and Ive never had a problem since. But I guess Im just used to it. Ive used a joystick in alot of FPS but I just didnt realize that doom would use it so I was suprised.

i used to love using a gamepad,seemed easier,all the buttons right there never having to move my hand all the way to the other side to do one thing.Of corse having an old computer i never really venteurd outside the Old FPS things(doom,duke nukem,hexen,heretic and sometimes quake).Of course when i got my new comp i saw the cold truth,you HAD to use the mouse and keyborad with almost every new FPS,i'd grown so used to doom's way of things =P.well it was a hard climb but i did get used to keybord+mouse.But anyways i used to be good with a gamepad with doom deathmatch.heh used too..my rambling has gone on long enough.

14 BUCKS?????? YOU BASTARD!!!!! I HAD TO PAY ABOUT $21.57 FOR MINE, AND I GOT IT AT THE SAME GODDAM PLACE!!!!!!!!

Heh, I see you're using my old avatar.

yea i prefer a game pad, however i need a new one. The last one did not work with the soundcard, so i just stuck to keyboard. I never understud that, why is a game port put on soundcards now a days. It use to be on the motherboard or at least the I/O card that came with it. Why not make a cameport card, comes with game pad, or put it on the modem or video card

i hate dooming with a mouse, anyway I would sudjest geting a port, zdoom or legacy are both really good, but if u like DOS MBF or PRboom will do

boom is dos, prboom is the windows port

I used to be 100% keyboard until I tried out Doom Legacy, ZDoom, and all that. Now, I have to re-adjust my fingers and hands whenever I play Doom95 (don't laugh) with the keyboard.

I use typical WASD configurations with a trackball, works great. I don't like mice at all... not after using a trackball for a few years.

Gamepads rock, I have my PSX pad plugged right into my Pentium 3 and it works beautifully. However, if they just replaced the right analog stick with a trackball for freelook it would be perfect for FPS games. =/

I used to be a keyboarder, but then I played Q3 for like a month solid, so when I went back to using the keyboard only, it was impossible. Anyway, you do need the mouse for every new game that comes out now. Still, I managed to hold out until January this year. Please excuse my inarticulate ramblings, I am still stoned.

Bah. Everybody who I've played Who only use the keybord get very deaded very quickly under the warth of my all powerful mouse. there not newbies, thay have been playing doom for longer then I have! I could never go back to the Keybord only way. Ho the speed! The freedom! Using the Mouse/Keybord system Makes Strafing so easy! However, don't try to use the mouse in Wolfenstine, You get very sick.