Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jon

level slots opening up automatically in one week

I mailed out ages ago to everyone who had assigns on doom2 levels (which are 50% done but 100% taken) to see if they'd made any progress. I got very few replies - one or two saying 'no, feel free to open it up'. I've opened up MAP15 (thanks Liam). At least one saying no, but I want to keep it. This was at least 6 months ago, I believe.

Anyway, I have managed to lose all the replies + my original post.

From the date of this post, I will free up all assigned maps that have not had a in-progress map uploaded within the next week, unless I am contacted by the person with the slot saying they want to keep it.

Ok everyone, get doom2 mapping! The following assigns have been DROPPED:

< MAP04 the focus               assigned        mindr0cker 20/5/03
< MAP08 tricks and traps        assigned        torn 4/3/03
< MAP09 the pit                 assigned        darkhaven3 8/8/03
< MAP14 the inmost dens         assigned        nestea 8/10/02
< MAP17 tenements               assigned        archvile46 30/10/2002
< MAP19 the citadel             assigned        maonth 9/11/2002
< MAP24 the chasm               assigned        amarande 24/03/2003
< MAP28 the spirit world        assigned        archvile64 27/06/02
I've given myself map28, as I have a level in the works which I want a) to have a unique music track on, and b) to have a third-episode sky. I hope to upload an in dev thing in the next few weeks.

Those maps marked 'in dev', I'm going to chase up those people and if I don't hear anything open them up and move the levels to the graveyard.

To reserve a slot just reply in this thread saying you want it :)

Ill take take map04, But I would like to know the ground rules... (If there is a thread on this, I would like to see it cause I looked, but may have missed it. =)

Well, I'm kinda working on a MAP14 replacement at the moment... No guarantees or anything, but I guess for the time being I'll take that slot.

Thnx for the link, but what I meant was that I cannot, or dont have to make it resemble Map04 of DooM2?

Sorry about this.

geekmarine said:

Well, I'm kinda working on a MAP14 replacement at the moment... No guarantees or anything, but I guess for the time being I'll take that slot.

Assigned.

Macro11_1 said:

Thnx for the link, but what I meant was that I cannot, or dont have to make it resemble Map04 of DooM2?

Sorry about this.

No problem - there's no requirement for your level to resemble the original, and we definitely don't want ones that look exactly the same. (I think MAP01 is too similar for example).

I'd recommend playing the original to get an idea of difficulty, size, weapons and monsters that have appears so far, etc., then looking at the surrounding freedoom maps (in your case, whatever's available for MAP03 and MAP05) to see what kind of 'theme' they've opted for. Then use all this information as guidelines (not firm rules).

Hmmm, I could donate my CC2 map. Would probably best fit as one of the later levels.

boris said:

Hmmm, I could donate my CC2 map. Would probably best fit as one of the later levels.

That would be cool - we're getting there!

Any update on MAP02? :)

I've never mapped before, but I love Map 9 so much I might take a crack at it. Note that I do know how to make a map, I've just never completed one. Also, I'm not sure how much detail I can put into the map since that's something that's normally reserved for someone with a lot of experience. Does it matter if I release my map to the idgames archive when finished?

Jon said:

Any update on MAP02? :)

What? It's been finished for over two years or something. It should even be on the webspace, you just didn't update the status file ;)

boris said:

What? It's been finished for over two years or something. It should even be on the webspace, you just didn't update the status file ;)

Apologies - I assumed what was uploaded was 'in dev'. Fixed.

I'd like map19, does detail have to be kept to the absolute minimum à la vanilla Doom, can we go crazy, or is there any specific limit?

I'd say keep the detail at a reasonable level so that the freedoom IWAD doesn't get too large. How does a limit of 5000 linedefs sound?

Ajapted said:

How does a limit of 5000 linedefs sound?

Well, that'd count out my CC2 map, it's got ~14500 linedefs.

Kaiser said:

I'll take map14 and map17, if they are still availible.

MAP17 is ok but geekmarine grabbed MAP14.

Xenophon said:

I'd like map19

done

Xenophon said:

does detail have to be kept to the absolute minimum à la vanilla Doom, can we go crazy, or is there any specific limit?

General guidelines here, but

In general, try not to make your level too big and complicated; we want to keep the IWAD a reasonable size. Also, be aware that many doom fans still use old hardware; complicated scenery may make the game run very slowly.

As long as boom can run it you're probably OK, but no need to go nuts :)

Jon said:

MAP17 is ok but geekmarine grabbed MAP14.

Okay, along with map17 I'd also like to take map04 as well (if not taken either)

Kaiser said:

Okay, along with map17 I'd also like to take map04 as well (if not taken either)

The list of available maps is here.

Hey just wanted to update to say that I am olmost done, now I just need to know where i send it to, and any preperations to the level i need to make? (like file size, zipting it up, including a .txt file, ect) This would be appreciated.

Macro11_1 said:

Hey just wanted to update to say that I am olmost done, now I just need to know where i send it to, and any preperations to the level i need to make? (like file size, zipting it up, including a .txt file, ect) This would be appreciated.

Just scan over the submission guidelines then visit this page. This is a new method we are trialling (the old was via FTP).

Macro11_1 said:

Well my map is olmost done, just have to set the difficulty's and get a few tiny bugs worked out, by the way what node builder should i use? i use ZenNode as of right now.

Zennode or BSP I think. Legacy in GL mode is quite picky and I think zennode gives best results for that port.

Macro11_1 said:

Oh and here is a screen shot of the map :
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Macro11_1/Map04FDooM.bmp

Looks good! Look forward to playtesting it :)

Speaking of being picky, the color scheme on the freedoom wiki looks familiar, IIRC "Gila" from the Open Source Web Template site (or whatever it's called, it was a while ago). Just so you know, that color scheme was directly copied from a commercial site (a banking or insurance company IIRC).

Ajapted said:

Speaking of being picky, the color scheme on the freedoom wiki looks familiar, IIRC "Gila" from the Open Source Web Template site (or whatever it's called, it was a while ago). Just so you know, that color scheme was directly copied from a commercial site (a banking or insurance company IIRC).

Thanks for the info - Fraggle (who set the wiki up) is on holiday this week but I'll nudge him when he's back to look into it.

I have a couple secrets in the map, and I was wondering, how do you get that damned secret revealed to appear when you cross a line def?! After this I should beable to send my map.

Macro11_1 said:

I have a couple secrets in the map, and I was wondering, how do you get that damned secret revealed to appear when you cross a line def?! After this I should beable to send my map.

Select the sector, not the linedef, and give it the "Secret" type.