Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanite10

Running Doom

yes it could if it has the ram and HD space, as well as a ok display. sadly it will be very slow, so it is not realy worth it. You could try geting a 486 put into the laptop. Doom will run but it will be horribly slow, i think dooms minimum is like a 386DX/66, also the DX part is important, If it is a 386SX, very bad, but a 386DX will run smoother

386DX/66

Did they make 386's with that high a clock speed?

I am trying to get a 486, 75 mghz DX4 laptop to play Doom and Doom II on. I can't wait guys. I am in 10th grade and going to be bringing the laptop to school. Just imagine it, I can be playing classic games during study hall, lunch, and all the other classes I dislike. I think that will be enough for playing games. I also bought a 486, 33 mghz DX2 motherboard for $10 with 8 MB of RAM! Who hoo! I was playing around with a 286 Hyundai until I accidentally broke a jumper off. I soddered the connections and that got rid of the error that it couldn't find the floppy disk controller, but it had problems reading boot disks. That computer was great. What can I say? I bummed it off a friend for free. It came with an old school clicky keyboard, really cool old school mouse, and a 14" VGA monitor. I think that was pretty good for having it for FREE. I can't wait until I get my new 486 motherboard.

They'd let you play Doom in school and not say a thing about it at all? Wow, you must be lucky.

Well, I believe they would not like it and I would only play it during my free time. There is a kid at school who has learning disabilities and my friend has a problem with writing, (he is very messy with writing mostly because he doesn't put effort into it) so the school gave them laptops. The learning disability kid played Red Alert 2 and Starcraft all the time. I also mentioned to one of the adminastrators while we were talking about computers that I was going to buy a cheap laptop for school. She said "cool." Our school allow PDAs and other forms of electronic devices. The only device we are against in the school is cell phones and pager devices for obvious reasons. There is another kid who has a Palm Pilot, we call him PDA boy. I believe they would let me have it in school. I just wouldn't flash around the principal. Our school is pretty good about Daemonic things. They let us play Magic: The Gathering when we used to. The only rules they have against cards is that there is no gambling, which happens anyway.

On another note, I installed Doom II a couple of days ago and played the first three levels. That game is so incredibly fun you wouldn't imagine it after such a long time. I stopped myself because I have to save some for when I get the laptop. (I don't want to be totally bored with it even though there are a million other DOS. Windows 3.x and old Windows 95+ games out there)

If you get bored with the regular games, you can always download more wads to play.

You hate old, smelly, dirty, piece of crap, dirty, smelly and did I mention DIRTY? I also hate the textbooks. I have a nice new Biology book though which I love.

I just bought my laptop for $75 off of ebay!
Enough talking, I'll just give you all the URL and let you comment & speculate!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1282884369

I can't wait to use it in school. The guy tested it and said it had at least a 1 hour battery life.

My previous question is rather irrelevent now that I purchased a 486, 75 mghz laptop. You can see it from the URL in my previous post! Give me some feedback!

75 mghz

What is this megagigahertz you speak of???

The first computer I tried to run Doom on was a 386/25 desktop. If you put it on low detail and downsized the screen 4 or 5 times, it was fairly playable.

If my mom's 150 mhz laptop can't run it, then surely your new one won't.

I don't think the cpu speed is the problem in that one. I know for sure a p1 60 mhz can run the game fairly smoothly, maybe a little chuggy at some points.