Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Boss levels

Anyone have any tricks on how to force a player to kill a monster before ending a level for vanilla Doom excluding the MAP07/end of episode specials.

What I mean is, you make a level, you intend for the player to have to kill a Cyberdemon before exiting the level, player instead runs around Cyberdemon and exits without firing a shot.

What solutions have you used to solve this?

The only other means than these specials is to use Dehacked and put the Keen Death code pointer on them. This one works on any level and with any monster.

But keep in mind that some less compatible source ports (like Legacy) don't support this.

That's pretty much what I wanted, thanks Graf.

My only solution was to use some elaborate system of switches that would be impossible, or very difficult, to execute whilst being blasted by the Cyberdemon. The player would then more likely kill the Cyberdemon before pressing the switches.

Either that or have the Cyberdemon physically block the exit and use block monster lines to stop it straying too far.

Or, you could put Boss Brain's death codepointer (the last one, not that of explosions), on the last frame, so the level ends when the Cyber is killed.

But if you want something for DOOM/2.exe where is a bit annoying to load a dehacked patch, map06 of Plutonia is a good sample.

For some reason I can't get the Keen trigger to work. In MAP32 sector 16 (I think it is) raises when all Keens are killed. To test this for myself I made a quick map with a Keen but when I killed him it didn't raise the sector. Is it because I'm using WadEd, or am I missing some other condition?

The Boss Brain trigger works fine though.

The door (sector) that you want to open when all Keen dolls are dead should have a linedef tag of 666. (Note that you don't need a linedef tagged 666 to make the door open). This works for all levels in Doom II (although I'm not sure about MAP07, where the 666 tag is used for lowering the floor when all Mancubi are dead).

The problem is that WadEd doesn't allow you to define an actual number for each sector tag, it just uses the next available number for each tag... so... find a better editor :P

You can also make a hidden sector, and in that sector linedefs put *Block Monster". You can put either a key or you could put the monster/sector near a exit disallowing the player to get by. A good example is Doom 2 Map 20. You had to kill the Cyber Demon/ Spider Mastermind in order to get to the switch to proceed. Chances of surviving in that level without killing the 2 demons is extremely minimal.

Another way of doing it, If my Megawad (Odium) comes out soon, (which i hope it will) look on map 29. I have it so the cyber demon appears after a switch is pressed, and then the floor begins to scroll down from 0 to -1280. On the way down i have a cyber demon teleport in, and its very difficult to avoid him on the entire way down, without any place to hide.

SS-Bowen said:

A good example is Doom 2 Map 20. You had to kill the Cyber Demon/ Spider Mastermind in order to get to the switch to proceed. Chances of surviving in that level without killing the 2 demons is extremely minimal.

...unless you take the secret route and avoid them entirely... ;)

TheDarkArchon said:

..Or get them to accidently hit each other and sneak past while they arwe still pasting the crap out of each other.

But then you still have to face the Arch-Vile. The secret route is much easier!

If you take the secret route, you dont end up getting the rocket launcher, and you run out of ammo. (this happens only if you start on level 20, instead of playing through the game)

But the basic thing is the concept of what you can do to make people fight bosses. Eliminate the secret route from the equation and you have to fight them. Its true you can get them to fight one another, but if you were to eliminate one of them this problem would be solved.

SS-Bowen said:

If you take the secret route, you dont end up getting the rocket launcher

... but a BFG instead. :) Usually does the trick, at least for me..

My Mega Wad came out. A few of the levels are boss levels and you can refer to them for ways to make your player kill a boss before completeing the level. My best boss levels include levels 20, 23, 26, 29. Be fore-warned the imps are replaced with a succubus sprite, and it is somewhat nude.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13302

I hope my boss levles help you in discovering what you need to keep people from just skipping levels.

i say if people are not men enough to face the finals, instead run like hell and press the exit, then they are wusses and should not be playing at all! but then again who accually does that? not me anyway..

Graf Zahl said:

But then you still have to face the Arch-Vile. The secret route is much easier!

Well, grab the berserk and try kicking its ass with that! That'll show him!

evilhomerdoomer said:

Well, grab the berserk and try kicking its ass with that! That'll show him!

If I am not mistaken the Berserk is on the secret route... (to be exact it is right before the secret door to the hidden teleporter which allows you to circumvent the big monsters entirely.)