Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

prb+ allows you to look in any direction you want, but as far as I know the only option for aiming and firing is the good old fashioned doom autoaim.

22 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

prb+ allows you to look in any direction you want, but as far as I know the only option for aiming and firing is the good old fashioned doom autoaim.

Unfortunately, for some reason I can't look in any direction I want.  I know it's a psychological thing and doesn't affect the auto-aim ability but I just feel weird not being able to instantly look where I want to look.  I'm using prboom-plus-2.5.1.3.  I don't have this issue in gzdoom, which is my main source port for playing doom, but I like to have another fast port to fall back on.  One other thing I noticed is that prboom is no longer the fastest source port for my system (i5, GTX 1070).  Using the extremely system demanding imps-in-the-park section of Lainos' Lilium wad, I noticed that the latest GZdoom 64-bit version blows PrBoom out of the water in speed.  I guess that optimized 64-bit code really makes a difference now.

16 minutes ago, cacomonkey said:

I'm using prboom-plus-2.5.1.3.

I don't remember, but this version might be too old for this feature to be present in software mode. Originally, it only worked in the OpenGL mode/exe.

53 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

Recent versions allow free aiming. It's in the same place where you can enable jumping.

Most likely, these options are disabled during demo recording, but I didn't check.

Okay, I updated to 2.5.1.4 and my issues were fixed.  Mouselook works fine now, and Lilium even runs faster than 64-bit Gzdoom, haha.  I had forgotten how bright GLBoom was in comparison to GZdoom.  I might just start using PrBoom+ as my go to source port for playing Doom now.  No reason to be playing wads in that dark gloom of GZboom anymore, though it might be a setting I have off that makes it look like that.  At any rate, I got my two favorite Doom source ports working as thy should again.  Thanks for the help.

This get me think for few days,but will prboom+ get mod music file support in the future?

hello friends my prboom+ is auto skipping the intermission text why on earth is it doing that and how do i make it stop? like the endgame text starts and then it goes away and jumps to the next level after a second without me touching anything

i wanna read the words on the screen :(

also is there a way to make the intermission screen not go by so fast i wanna look at the level name and author of the map i'm about to start but it frickin loads so fast it's gone before i have a chance to even see it like heck

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

my prboom+ is auto skipping the intermission text why on earth is it doing that and how do i make it stop?

Good question! I haven't seen that problem before. You can cause it to auto-progress by holding a key down (mouse counts) before the text screen appears, but it doesn't actually buffer new inputs. If you're running the game on an old compatibility level, you can't press a button to bring the full text into view and have to wait for it to slowly scroll out. It's possible the game thinks you're holding a button for some reason, don't know any more than that.

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

is there a way to make the intermission screen not go by so fast

This is one of those relics left in primarily for demo-syncing purposes: the original executable used this time to load the map, but as this is often instantaneous in the present year the time is far shorter; and adding a keypress or artificially padding out the length of the screen would most certainly break demos (though no reason not to allow it for the current version). Anyway, I don't see a way to adjust it in the options: you'll just have to read it after finishing the level.

@CapnClever bless your magical heart

i decided to test your theory of it auto-progressing from me holding a key down too long so i decided to just tap my mouse button as lightly as possible instead of the use key, to see if that would work, and it did!!!! :D

but then i went back and tested to verify the theory but i couldn't reproduce it

the thing that has been plaguing me for several days now has suddenly disappeared

i even tried holding the use key down all the way until the words started appearing and it still didn't skip it

perhaps using the mouse that one time fixed it somehow

or perhaps you just used your secret wizard powers to fix it when i wasn't lookin

Is there a reason why prboom-plus records 1.2/cl0 demos with the wrong header? It should be 7 bytes long instead of 13.

Whenever I try to open something in prboom+, I get this error message:

59519d49a19b4_worthlessprboom.PNG.9589b8f5498123ed8568bf1831b98040.PNG

I like gzdoom just fine, but now I'm stuck building something that has to be boom-compatible and i can't even do that now.

My guess is that your IWAD file is located in your GZDoom directory and that PrBoom-plus isn't just going to find it there, though it's hard to without context. Here are some potential solutions.

• Just throw a copy of your Doom2 IWAD into prboom-plus. It's a bit wasteful space-wise but 20MB on drives these days isn't that much.
  • If you're trying to run prboom-plus from the command line:
    • The -iwad parameter has to be specified if an IWAD isn't already in the current directory or prboom-plus's directory (plus some other miscellaneous cases that aren't going into here). "prboom-plus.exe -iwad C:/SomePath/ThatGoes/ToTheIWAD/doom2.wad" would be one such example.
  • If you're trying to run prboom-plus from Doom Builder/GZDoom Builder:
    • Confirm in "Tools > Game Configurations > [config you're using] > Testing" that the example command line (available by checking "Customize parameters") points to a valid IWAD file. If it doesn't, you can hardcode the path yourself or put your IWAD in the place that the example suggests. (I'm not sure what defines the variable %WP, don't see anything for it in other settings, so if it's not working for you then hardcoding is likely the best option.

I moved a copy of the IWAD there, but now I get this:

5951af30e6637_nowIgetthisshit.PNG.da47384b41e4b1382c0a29896c14694c.PNG

And also GZdoom now opens plutonia.

The "IWAD tag [file] not present" error indicates that the given IWAD failed the check that determines the file to be an IWAD. The first four bytes of the file should read, in ASCII, "IWAD", and for whatever reason that is not the case. (You can check yourself using this online hex editor.) I can think of three reasons for this:

1. Your "doom2.wad" is a mistakenly-renamed PWAD
  2. Your "doom2.wad" is corrupt
  3. Your "doom2.wad" isn't a WAD file at all

First thing you'll want to do is check that your doom2.wad is what it's supposed to be. Go to this DoomWiki page and confirm that the filesize you have matches one of those listed (probably 1.9 or BFG Edition, though I suppose it's possible you have an older version so check all of them if the first two don't match). If you find a matching filesize, use this online MD5/SHA-1 hash generator to confirm those values for the file as well.

If you don't find a match, then you've got a problem and probably will want to retrieve whatever is necessary (Steam purchase, CD-ROM, etc) to gain an accurate copy of doom2.wad. If the problem is #1, you should be able to open it up in something like SLADE or Doom Builder and check what's actually there: it's possible some overwriting happened accidentally. Otherwise, you can safely discard that doom2.wad once you've retrieved the true copy.

If you do find a match and it's still not loading, then you'll have to wait for a response for one of the devs, because I wouldn't know how to proceed from there. As for why it would be working in prboom-plus and GZDoom, I have no idea on that either: we can explore the problem further after you've verified the file.

I think I know what happened to my IWAD. "Downtown" glitched for me, so I tried to fix it in db2, thus making the IWAD into a PWAD or something.

Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can't replace the IWAD.

He was using some enhanced-something mod for improved animations and it conflicted with Going Down's modifications. When he disabled that, he had no problems.

Why is the player moving faster than normal and bobbing up and down more than normal if I run prboom.exe but it is normal if I run glboom.exe?

If I press Caps-Lock he goes even faster!

Oh, it is because I was fast forwarding a demo last time I ran it? I knew it was something retarded. And it is not me that is retarded :D

why does ALT+Tab'ing out of the game, then ALT-Tab'ing back in 'disable' the automap from loading? i can play on as normally but pressing Tab for the automap does nothing. i can only return normal functionality by ALT-Enter'ing twice: to window, then fullscreen the game.

this is on glboom 2.5.1.4

This has probably something to do with the Alt key gettick "stuck"

I had reported a problem with alt-tab, which resulted in alt-enter to be registered next time I pressed Enter, like the Alt key was stuck from alt-tabbing earlier. This sounds like a related problem.

oh wow i didnt realise that happened as well.

next time im playing ill check if the Enter = Alt-Enter applies for me too.

Friction effects seem to break in a map on loading a savegame, tried in a few complevels. Is this a known issue?

EDIT seems like it actually works in MBF but i was under the impression it's a Boom feature.

Edited by Marcaek

It's also a very old issue.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that it wasn't fixed because it makes BeeWen maps tolerable.

38 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

Friction effects seem to break in a map on loading a savegame, tried in a few complevels. Is this a known issue?

EDIT seems like it actually works in MBF but i was under the impression it's a Boom feature.

funnily enough I think it did originally work in some version of boom, but a killough optimization of some sort broke it along the way? you can compile prb+ with a certain flag such that it'll use the older, but less efficient, method for applying friction that stays between save/loads (I'm guessing this flag was retained in case you wanted to watch old demos for some specific version of boom?).

more info here: https://sourceforge.net/p/prboom-plus/bugs/247/

I'm curious as to why GLBoom+ doesn't support transparency by default like PRBoom+ does, when there's a simple trans.deh file which enables it.

Hey guys, I just installed prboom on my linux box, and it came with the freedoom WAD. If I don't specify an IWAD via cmdline, it uses freedoom, but I'd rather it use Doom2. I've place doom2.wad in the same directory where freedoom.wad lives and renamed freedoom.wad, but I get an "IWAD not found" error. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to set doom2.wad as the default IWAD in prboom? In case it matters, I installed version 2.5.0, since the newer version apparently has some dependencies incompatible with my OS...

Thanks!

Tried it -- it seems that prboom wants freedoom.wad, and nothing else will do unless I specify from the command line. So I'm wondering how it knows to look for that file in that location. Apparently it's not in prboom.cfg...