Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

2 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I installed version 2.5.0, since the newer version apparently has some dependencies incompatible with my OS...

Thanks!

Get a working OS like Windows or fix linux's dependency hell, that prboom+ version is from 2008 according to the changelog :D

1 minute ago, VGA said:

Get a working OS like Windows or fix linux's dependency hell, that prboom+ version is from 2008 according to the changelog :D

Whoa. Real retro gaming experience here, I guess. :-P

My OS stopped getting support/updates about a year and a half ago, which probably means the repo is out of date.

17 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Tried it -- it seems that prboom wants freedoom.wad, and nothing else will do unless I specify from the command line. So I'm wondering how it knows to look for that file in that location. Apparently it's not in prboom.cfg...

"strace" it and you'll find which configuration files it opens - probably something in /etc - and where it looks after that.

Quick question: What is the difference between the various video mode options in PRBoom+? Like the whole 8-bit to 32-bit selections. Do they affect the colours displayed or the distance at which textures "brown out" away from the player? Also, Spectres are green in 16-bit mode for some reason.

PrBoom+ has subtleties.

8-bit = 8-bit canvas (256 colors), colormapped lighting, translucency table.

16-bit = high color canvas, colormapped lighting, real-time translucency.

32-bit = true color canvas, colormapped lighting, real-time translucency.

OpenGL = OpenGL canvas, colormapped lighting, translucency table.

Rendering to an OpenGL or otherwise NOT 8-bit canvas may have speed or compatibility benefits on modern systems.

Real-time translucency prevents the modder from tinkering with translucency effects, but no one really does that, so it's safe to say that in 99% of cases (and I'm just being cautious here) it's gonna look better than translucency table (which is limited to the 256 colors of the palette).

It's also worth noting that even though PrBoom+ always uses colormap (which is, just like the translucency table, limited to the palette) for lighting, there are options to blur the pixels or partially interpolate light diminishing. These options are gonna look better the more colors the canvas is capable of displaying.

15-bit should be similar to 16-bit, but slightly crappier? I'm not sure, maybe the article will help. It didn't work for me on another system, and on my current system it's very slow. Probably has some benefits on very specific systems, otherwise why would it be there.

Another thing about 15/16-bit color depth is that it will distort the colors of the palette. This is because 8-bit mode has a greater selection of colors, even though only 256 of them can be displayed at once. Probably what caused spectres to turn green.

Edited by Da Werecat

anyone know why this is happening when i play glboom+ 2.5.1.4 with the software renderer (use GL surface is OFF).

it seems to happen about 1-2 minutes after i start playing, and then lasts for 5-20 seconds before going back to normal.

i had to take a picture with my phone because taking a screenshot just returns a 'normal' picture.

2017-08-05 22.48.05.jpg

You are likely running in an 8bit mode in Windows Vista/7. This is a bad combination as background processes will reset the palette. Use the OpenGL surface mode or 24/32bit software mode.

Using Win8/10 would also solve it as they emulate 8bit GDI, but it will run slower.

Edited by Edward850

If you still want to stay at 8-bit mode, turn off Windows Explorer at the time you play (via .bat file, for example).

This works basically for every game with 8-bit color depth.

On 8/6/2017 at 1:31 PM, rehelekretep said:

interesting

Yeah, some crazy MS hack place to put it, if you ask me. It's almost as if they purposely wanted to kill of 8-bit video modes, which makes sense with their Aero efforts. I am left asking "Why, oh why?"

This is a minor thing, but is there a way to reduce the sprite-size of the attacks? I noticed this recently between playing on Chocolate Doom and PrBoom-Plus:

1Rdxar7.png

UWVht9Y.png

Seems that the attacks for the Plasma gun and rocket launcher take up more screen. I know this isn't due to actually making the sprites themselves larger...but I was curious if there was a way to make it take up less of the screen.

Well @valkiriforce I could bet that you took the screenshots in different times from the shooting time. But maybe that should be investigated - what if the projectiles were indeed spawned at different distances?

I noticed it was closer just playing the game, but I also recorded both then went frame-by-frame in an editor to see if they were indeed closer. Those are the closest both weapons get when fired in both ports from what I observe.

Does it still happen with uncapped framerate OFF? It sounds like an interpolation problem.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Does it still happen with uncapped framerate OFF? It sounds like an interpolation problem.

So, do you think PrBoom-Plus, when running uncapped, shows the missle too soon? I guess it can't be too soon, but, rather, it's like the interpolation code does not get initialized until the second frame, or something ??? Any ideas?

5 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

what if the projectiles were indeed spawned at different distances?

Vanilla Demo compatibility is kind of a thing prboom does, in case you forgot.

@kb1 interpolation means that the object will be logically interpolated between frames when drawn, so it'll appear further behind for longer the more subframes drawn. Thus is obscuring the player view in a place it's not normally seen.

Edited by Edward850

The projectile spawns at your center. I guess when it's at the same x and y as the camera, it's not shown. Then it is shown at some discrete places:

KYJbxJl.png

With a more smooth framerate the amount of appearances is increased:

Z3ihsZN.png

As you can see, the closest one is closer to the camera.

Then again, maybe there's something else, I dunno.

Edited by Da Werecat

2 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Then again, maybe there's something else, I dunno.

Nope, that's exactly it.

Edited by Edward850

On 8/21/2017 at 4:14 PM, Edward850 said:

Vanilla Demo compatibility is kind of a thing prboom does, in case you forgot.

@kb1 interpolation means that the object will be logically interpolated between frames when drawn, so it'll appear further behind for longer the more subframes drawn. Thus is obscuring the player view in a place it's not normally seen.

Thanks, makes sense.

Is anyone familiar with the following bug? I've had it happen a few times while playing in PRBoom+, and never in GLBoom+. Just recently, I was hosing down some dudes at the end of Alien Vendetta map04 with Plasma. Then suddenly, my Plasma started passing through the monsters and both myself and the enemies were under something like a ghost monster/noclip effect and could phase through walls. I quickly made a save, reloaded, and everything went back to normal, aside from a bunch of enemies being stuck on top of each other and near walls. So what's the deal with this?