Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

What tracker module player does prboom use? Whatever it uses it doesn't seem to work right with some instruments in .it songs, not only that but NNA commands don't seem to work either :/ Which sucks because obviously I'm running a speed composing session tomorrow and I know there are people who want to make it songs :( I put a psa about it in the thread so hopefully people are aware but it is annoying regardless...

edit: after doing some searching it seems like it is using DUMB for mod playback and I believe DUMB is a pretty old playback library, that would definitely explain the issues. An upgrade to libopenmpt or even xmplay would be fantastic but highly unlikely

Edited by therektafire

On 5/5/2018 at 10:57 AM, therektafire said:

edit: after doing some searching it seems like it is using DUMB for mod playback and I believe DUMB is a pretty old playback library, that would definitely explain the issues. An upgrade to libopenmpt or even xmplay would be fantastic but highly unlikely

Just to suggest another module player library: libxmp / libxmp-lite. Learned about this library after an interview for a build-engine game called Ion Maiden (interview link, @ 28:48), and from what I've heard, it does the job real nicely.

hello. after some serious pc troubles the launcher automatically starts original doom2 wad instead of asking which wad.

how to solve this and have the handy windows where to select iwad and pwad?

Just now, blob1024 said:

hello. after some serious pc troubles the launcher automatically starts original doom2 wad instead of asking which wad.

how to solve this and have the handy windows where to select iwad and pwad?

Did you remember to re-enable the launcher after fixing your PC?

1 hour ago, mun said:

Did you remember to re-enable the launcher after fixing your PC?

how? thats what i dont know how to do i guess 

2 minutes ago, blob1024 said:

how? thats what i dont know how to do i guess 

Options > General > Press right arrow key > Use in-game launcher: Smart

Is there any configuration file magic I can do to make an Xbox One controller work with PrBoom-plus? The in-game interface is completely useless for setting one up.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:43 AM, Bdubzzz said:

It is 0, so I guess i can complain about maps being to dark still, thanks :)

0 is the darkest, so try 1 or 2!

Is there a way to disable automatic weapon switching on pickup in PRBoom+? I looked through the menus, but other than the weapon priority thing I couldn't find any setting to change it.

52 minutes ago, AMalenczak said:

Is there a way to disable automatic weapon switching on pickup in PRBoom+? I looked through the menus, but other than the weapon priority thing I couldn't find any setting to change it.

That's a part of the original gameplay mechanics of the Doom games, and PrBoom+ aims to preserve it, so no unfortunately. You should try another port.

28 minutes ago, mun said:

That's a part of the original gameplay mechanics of the Doom games, and PrBoom+ aims to preserve it, so no unfortunately. You should try another port.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply.

I'm utterly confused by the whole SR-50 thing.

[*]Removed "Strafe 50 on Turns" feature.

[*]Removed "Two-key strafe50: StrafeOn + MoveLR = strafe50" feature.

Making things even more confusing is rehelekretep saying "it's very possible to achieve the same effect with some tinkering with configs anyway" and Linguica posting a "SR50 with turning in doom2.exe". So basically, what changed? What can still be done? Is there a feature doom2.exe with a control driver has that the latest PrBoom-Plus doesn't? If so, which commits caused these changes so I can revert them for a personal build?

None of this changes anything for Doom speedrunning. Yes, the -control thingy allows you to send turn tics to the engine while using strafe50. It also enables you to send -turbo 255 tics too. Neither are allowed by long-standard conventions.

The changes you mentioned removed features that were added for misguided reasons and that proved divisive. Two-key strafe50 is possible by normal keybinding means (indeed some people use it routinely and uncontroversially and have done for many years), but the difference is that it was only possible in one direction (rather than both). That is, you can set this up by normal means, but you also lose something in the process. People also objected because this feature was enabled by default and was non-optional (totally against the prb+ aethos), leading people to record possibly tainted demos without meaning to or having deliberately enabled the bad setting.

6 hours ago, Grazza said:

None of this changes anything for Doom speedrunning. Yes, the -control thingy allows you to send turn tics to the engine while using strafe50. It also enables you to send -turbo 255 tics too. Neither are allowed by long-standard conventions.

The changes you mentioned removed features that were added for misguided reasons and that proved divisive. Two-key strafe50 is possible by normal keybinding means (indeed some people use it routinely and uncontroversially and have done for many years), but the difference is that it was only possible in one direction (rather than both). That is, you can set this up by normal means, but you also lose something in the process. People also objected because this feature was enabled by default and was non-optional (totally against the prb+ aethos), leading people to record possibly tainted demos without meaning to or having deliberately enabled the bad setting.

Would you mind elaborating, with a specific example or two of a what was possible in Doom2.exe, vs. was extra functionality was allowed in PrBoom+? I want to make sure that I don't make the same mistake.

I'm trying to use a specific soundfont (gm.sf2) and in order to do that, I need to use FluidSynth from what I understand. However when I switch to FluidSynth, the pitch of the music gets shifted and the volume drops considerably. This only seems to happen in PrBoom+/GLBoom. The same soundfount + FluidSynth in order source ports doesn't cause this issue. What gives?

Greetings. I finally found the cause of the (os x specific) mouse issue I've been having since I started playing 2.5.1.5 like 2 years ago, and that I falsely believed was fixed but was in fact still present, and was verified by another mac user (I think by @Jon maybe?) so I don't think the problem was completely on my end.

Anyways, the source of the problem was that the mouse was not being "grabbed" by prb+ until after it receives input of some kind, you can test this a number of ways:

./prboom-plus --> move the mouse around --> open menu, start game --> mouse behaves normally, yay.

./prboom-plus --> open menu, start game (don't touch mouse) --> mouse moves to unpredictable wonky positions the second you touch it

./prboom-plus -warp --> mouse moves to unpredictable wonky positions the second you touch it.

I tracked it down to the function "MouseShouldBeGrabbed()" (src/SDL/i_video.c:1386), somehow the logic of this function is returning false on os x in some circumstance where it should be returning true? Instead of being diligent and figuring out what I could change to actually solve the bug, I instead resorted to the extremely hacky method of having it always return true (such that prb+ has sovereignty over the mouse from the second it boots up to the second you exit). Lo and behold the mouse behaved nicely now in all of the cases described above, finally making it non-infuriating to record demos again :). I figured I'd describe the observation here in case anyone else might find it useful, or perhaps if someone smarter than me might look at it and find a real way to actually fix it.

IWAD question: I can't run the Ultimate Doom IWAD with PRBoom or GLBoom.

The error I receive is "CheckIWAD: IWAD tag c:/users/aquila chrysaetos/documents/doom/DOOM.WAD not present".

I can run Doom 2, TNT, and Plutonia with PRBoom, but not Ultimate Doom. Does anyone know the cause of this?

the first 4 bytes of an iwad should literally be the string: "IWAD", this error looks like it found either "PWAD", or something else instead. Is it possible your copy of DOOM.WAD isn't actually an iwad, or maybe it was edited?

That's odd. I moved over another copy I had and PRBoom and GLBoom ran it.

It's probable that I edited it or something and never noticed, which makes it fortunate I had an extra copy on hand.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:37 AM, Ribbiks said:

I tracked it down to the function "MouseShouldBeGrabbed()" (src/SDL/i_video.c:1386), somehow the logic of this function is returning false on os x in some circumstance where it should be returning true? Instead of being diligent and figuring out what I could change to actually solve the bug, I instead resorted to the extremely hacky method of having it always return true (such that prb+ has sovereignty over the mouse from the second it boots up to the second you exit). Lo and behold the mouse behaved nicely now in all of the cases described above, finally making it non-infuriating to record demos again :). I figured I'd describe the observation here in case anyone else might find it useful, or perhaps if someone smarter than me might look at it and find a real way to actually fix it.

To "fix it right", you'd have to know why that function would want to return false. Seriously, why would the answer ever be 'False'? Because the config is set to not use the mouse? Because it's in windowed mode, and the window is minimized? Answer that, and you'll have a clue how to fix it. That's a strange one.

On 7/30/2018 at 5:23 PM, kb1 said:

Would you mind elaborating, with a specific example or two of a what was possible in Doom2.exe, vs. was extra functionality was allowed in PrBoom+? I want to make sure that I don't make the same mistake.

Sorry, I had missed this post.

The vanilla way to achieve 2-key strafe-50 involved binding strafe-on to the same key as either turn right + strafe right or turn left + strafe left. That makes it easier to strafe-50 to either the left or the right, but whichever you choose, it means you can't do it in the other direction.

I've never used that myself, but heard about it from Vince.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Sorry, I had missed this post.

The vanilla way to achieve 2-key strafe-50 involved binding strafe-on to the same key as either turn right + strafe right or turn left + strafe left. That makes it easier to strafe-50 to either the left or the right, but whichever you choose, it means you can't do it in the other direction.

I've never used that myself, but heard about it from Vince.

No problem - thanks so much for your reply! I never knew about SR-50 either.

Is there a way to cap FPS to something reasonable in GLBoom+, like how ZDoom stops at 200? I'm getting over 2k frames on vanilla/low detail maps and it looks weird when turning quickly. And I'm not a fan of vsync or the standard 35FPS cap.

I've been using PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 for a couple weeks now, and I just realised that enabling mouse look won't actually let me aim vertically. I've looked around the options menu and found nothing. Is that really not an option?