Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

I think the best way is to just play it on its original place where it was made for.  Old pc with the original msdos exe.

I hope everyone who gets motion sickness trys out prboom one day and try to beat ultimate doom, because I barely made it even with uncapped fps turned off/vsync.

I did it for john romero.. payed my dues for id software but I think ill just stick with ultimate doom completed, thanks everyone for keeping the game alive.

Still have doom classic complete on ps3, its a shame I cant play it for more then 1 minute... it has all the darn episodes and master levels, no rest for the living, final doom.

:( 

but i beat ultimate doom! :)))) ALL 4 EP!!

Edited by vanilla_d00m

3 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I think the best way is to just play it on its original place where it was made for.  Old pc with the original msdos exe.

I hope everyone who gets motion sickness trys out prboom one day and try to beat ultimate doom, because I barely made it even with uncapped fps turned off/vsync.

I did it for john romero.. payed my dues for id software but I think ill just stick with ultimate doom completed, thanks everyone for keeping the game alive.

Still have doom classic complete on ps3, its a shame I cant play it for more then 1 minute... it has all the darn episodes and master levels, no rest for the living, final doom.

:( 

but i beat ultimate doom! :)))) ALL 4 EP!!

We all beat Ultimate Doom, you're not only one. There's Doom 2, Final Doom, No Rest for the living, Master levels and tons of custom player made content. If you're going to give up, because of minor sound differences in various ports, I have nothing to say anymore. 

If entryway is still here, please post paypal handle here so I can make donation.

Prboom helped me finished ultimate doom too..

Couldn't find a list of all the Comp Levels so I wanted to double check if this is correct, hopefully if it is people can see this and refer to this thread if necessary: 

0. Doom v1.2
1. Doom v1.666
2. Doom/2 v1.9
3. Ultimate Doom
4. Final Doom
5. DosDoom
6. TASDoom
7. Boom's Vanilla
8. Boom v2.01
9. Boom
10. LXDoom
11. MBF
12. PrBoom 2.03B
13. PrBoom 2.1.X
14. PrBoom 2.2.X
15. PrBoom 2.3.X
16. PrBoom 2.4.0
17. Latest PrBoom Plus

Edited by Beezle : My mistake, starts at 0

Looks correct. Just for completeness here's a table relating the internal labels to the labels you'll find in the in-game options menu:

Internal Label               In-game Menu Label

-1   Latest PrBoom                "Current PrBoom" 
 0   Doom v1.2                    "Doom v1.2"
 1   Doom v1.666                  "Doom v1.666"
 2   Doom & Doom 2 v1.9           "Doom/Doom2 v1.9"
 3   Ultimate Doom and Doom95     "Ultimate Doom/Doom95"
 4   Final Doom                   "Final Doom"
 5   DosDoom 0.47                 "early DosDoom"
 6   TASDoom                      "TASDoom"
 7   Boom's compatibility mode    "boom compatibility"
 8   Boom v2.01                   "boom v2.01"
 9   Boom v2.02                   "boom v2.02"
10   LxDoom v1.3.2+               "lxdoom v1.3.2+"
11   MBF                          "MBF"
12   PrBoom 2.03beta?             "PrBoom 2.03beta"
13   PrBoom 2.1.0-2.1.1           "PrBoom v2.1.0-2.1.1"
14   PrBoom 2.2.x                 "PrBoom v2.1.2-v2.2.6"
15   PrBoom 2.3.x                 "PrBoom v2.3.x"
16   PrBoom 2.4.0                 "PrBoom 2.4.0"
17   Latest PrBoom                "Current PrBoom" 

What's funny is that when people say "boom-compatible" (wrt prb+) they mean boom v2.02, not cl7 which is labeled by prb+ as boom-compatibility (the internal label for which is boom_compatibility_compatibility, just to make things more confusing :p)

You can also find the information in usage.txt, inside your prboom+ folder.

10 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

so does this mean that 17 and -1 are the same in effect?

Only for the current version. 17 will always remain that version of PRBoom, where as -1 always means the latest.

5 hours ago, Beezle said:

Couldn't find a list of all the Comp Levels

There's one on the wiki article for PrBoom.

The information is usage.txt is the best to refer to. The labels in the in-game menu are shortened to fit, and it is hard to provide full and unambiguous information in that case.

COMPATIBILITY LEVELS

Demo recorders should read this carefully. These complevels all work both for recording and playback.
If you use a complevel for playback, it will override the autodetection of the demo type. This is useful to handle cases in which autodetection does not correctly identify the demo-type. Autodetection will still work for the vast majority of demos.

Number  Name                             Description

0       doom_12_compatibility            Partial (improved) emulation of Doom.exe v1.2
1       doom_1666_compatibility          Partial emulation of Doom.exe/Doom2.exe v1.666
2       doom2_19_compatibility           Emulates the original Doom.exe v1.9 & Doom2's doom2.exe v1.9
3       ultdoom_compatibility            Emulates Ultimate Doom v1.9 and Doom95
4       finaldoom_compatibility          Emulates Final Doom's doom2.exe
5       dosdoom_compatibility            Emulates Dosdoom .47
6       tasdoom_compatibility            Emulates Tasdoom.exe
7       boom_compatibility_compatibility Emulates Boom's compatibility mode
8       boom_201_compatibility           Emulates Boom v2.01
9       boom_202_compatibility           Emulates Boom v2.02
10      lxdoom_1_compatibility           Emulates LxDoom v1.4.x
11      mbf_compatibility                Emulates MBF
12      prboom_1_compatibility           Emulates PrBoom v2.03beta
13      prboom_2_compatibility           Emulates PrBoom v2.1.0
14      prboom_3_compatibility           Emulates PrBoom v2.1.1-2.2.6
15      prboom_4_compatibility           Emulates PrBoom v2.3.x
16      prboom_5_compatibility           Emulates PrBoom v2.4.0
17      prboom_6_compatibility           Latest PrBoom-plus
-1      default_compatibility_level      Current Prboom-plus

Here's a quick summary of the most important ones for recording:

-complevel 2 - "vanilla" Doom2.exe

-complevel 3 - "vanilla" Ultimate Doom.exe
-complevel 9 - Boom
-complevel -1 - current Prboom+

Thus if you mostly want to record vanilla demos (and Boom when necessary), you can put 2 as your default compatibility for Doom2, 3 as the default compatibility for Ultimate Doom, and place -complevel 9 in the command line when recording on a Boom map.

i've been having a lot of trouble getting mouse to work properly in this port in windows 10. before "creator update" from 2017, this port worked fine, but after the update, mouse movement has become very choppy and randomly "warps" to the side when looking around (as if you suddenly jerked the mouse to one side or the other).

i have tried using latest test version which uses SDL2 (2.5.1.5.test), but the mouse movement then becomes very slow, and choppiness persists. i've tried replacing SDL.dll with several other iteration, but either it will not have any significant effect, or will cause the mouse to become completely unusable.

has anyone ever found fix for the problem? i have searched some times this site and others but have found no solution that works for me

also, PRboom plus is the only port I've tried in which i run into such Problem as that. vanilla, chocolate doom, crispy doom, and gzdoom do not display some issue with the mouse at all

Yeah I had to really mess around with the mouse sensitivity settings and disable vertical movement, it was just like you said at first but seems much more playable now. I forget what else I adjusted cuz I kinda gave up on messing with 2.5.1.5 Test Build for a bit when I first downloaded, sorry I can't say for sure what EXACTLY I adjusted. Still can't use freelook very well though on either this Test Build or 2.5.1.4.

Hm, I've never had major issues with PrBoom+ on W10, although I had to ditch 2.5.1.4 in favor of 2.5.1.5 as mouse support seems to be borked after version 1703 or 1709 (mouse randomly jerks in the opposite direction when moving it across the screen). D64EX (also on SDL1) also exhibits this issue.

2.5.1.5 runs great for me. Never tried freelook/vertical aiming.

@seed You haven't truly lived until you've tried GLBoom+ with free look. It's like a whole new world opens before you, giving you sights unseen by being shackled to the horizontal plane.

Thanks for all your help with Comp Levels. I had another question though, how do you get the HUD like Eternity's default HUD? I was told in Display options but it just shows Filter For Walls, Wipe Screen Effect, etc.

8 hours ago, Beezle said:

how do you get the HUD like Eternity's default HUD?

do you mean the advanced hud that shows stats like items, monsters, etc? If so you can get to those in prb+ by hitting "+" enough times. Once you're on the advanced hud you can hit f5 to cycle through its various configurations.

13 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

do you mean the advanced hud that shows stats like items, monsters, etc? If so you can get to those in prb+ by hitting "+" enough times. Once you're on the advanced hud you can hit f5 to cycle through its various configurations.

Yes exactly, where it shows Items, secrets, kills and how many remain instead of the original HUD. Thanks again!

On 5/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, Beezle said:

Yeah I had to really mess around with the mouse sensitivity settings and disable vertical movement,

On 5/22/2019 at 4:22 PM, seed said:

Hm, I've never had major issues with PrBoom+ on W10, although I had to ditch 2.5.1.4 in favor of 2.5.1.5 as mouse support

sorry, tried both of those and no dice :( what on earth is the matter with this OS!!! >:(

12 minutes ago, xdarkmasterx said:

sorry, tried both of those and no dice :( what on earth is the matter with this OS!!! >:(

I have Windows 10 and do not have this problem with 2.5.1.5. You need to search deeper for the cause to your problem.

I got a paradox when using -viddump command. All necessary files are in PrBoom's folder and a shortcut with -timedemo, -viddump works well.

I wanted to upload my encode on YT, so I changed "fps" value to 50 in the config file to get 1080p50 video. Encode is here (YT video).

As a result, my video plays too fast and the audiotrack has no music. I expected 15 clone frames in each second, a normal speed and the presence of music.

What's wrong with viddump? Why no music? How to save all 35 real frames when uploading to YT? If I upload 1080p35 video, it will lose 5 additional frames and become less smooth.

Here are all non-empty text files related to encoding and a config file: outputs.zip

Maybe there is a mistake I don't know about.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:28 PM, Dimon12321 said:

I got a paradox when using -viddump command. All necessary files are in PrBoom's folder and a shortcut with -timedemo, -viddump works well.

I wanted to upload my encode on YT, so I changed "fps" value to 50 in the config file to get 1080p50 video. Encode is here (YT video).

As a result, my video plays too fast and the audiotrack has no music. I expected 15 clone frames in each second, a normal speed and the presence of music.

What's wrong with viddump? Why no music? How to save all 35 real frames when uploading to YT? If I upload 1080p35 video, it will lose 5 additional frames and become less smooth.

Here are all non-empty text files related to encoding and a config file: outputs.zip

Maybe there is a mistake I don't know about.

ok so there is a parameter missing in your config file. the problem is that the fps parameter isn't used for viddump. in the "# Video capture encoding settings" section you should add the parameter cap_fps (it was added with 2.5.1.5.test) and set it to the desired framerate. and btw, youtube also allows 60fps. so I'd suggest 60 unless you wanna keep the original Doom framerate of 35 fps. in which case it's problematic either way. to do that you can use a parameter of the encoder to duplicate frames so that you can embed the 35fps content in a higher framerate. but since we only have the choice of 50 or 60 fps on youtube, it will be choppy.

Edited by Sp00kyFox

1 hour ago, Sp00kyFox said:

ok so there is a parameter missing in your config file. the problem is that the fps parameter isn't used for viddump. in the "# Video capture encoding settings" section you should add the parameter cap_fps (it was added with 2.5.1.5.test) and set it to the desired framerate. and btw, youtube also allows 60fps. so I'd suggest 60 unless you wanna keep the original Doom framerate of 35 fps. in which case it's problematic either way. to do that you can use a parameter of the encoder to duplicate frames so that you can embed the 35fps content in a higher framerate. but since we only have the choice of 50 or 60 fps on youtube, it will be choppy.

Nice to meet you! You abandoned your YT channel, don't you? Yeah, I've figured that out already. cap_fps is a really important feature and all demos from 2.5.1.4 sync back well. Too bad viddump still can't record SDL and PortMIDI music, but at least it's possible to pick out a good .sf2 soundfont and replace the original FlyidSynth player with it.

Edited by Dimon12321

Just now, Dimon12321 said:

Nice to meet you! You abandoned your YT channel, don't you? Yeah, I've figured that out already. cap_fps is a really important feature and all demos from 2.5.1.4 sync back well. Too bad viddump still can't record SDL and PortMIDI music.

kinda. it was fun for me to look up new demos and see how encoders perform and how their parameters work. ZeroMaster pretty much took over this job with his DSDA channel. but I thought about encoding one or the other run again, no promises though ;)

BTW, anyone knows how to create a multiplayer demo in co-op mode? I've just tried playing back Looper's Episode 1 TAS CO for Doom and now I'm wondering which commands should I write in a shortcut to create this kind of demo. I know the only way to build it is to write input sequences for each player in XDRE, but it's another story.

I know we have -solo-net to play in coop alone, but why there are no "-duet-net" or "-quartet-net" commands?

@Looper, could you help me, please?

5 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

BTW, anyone knows how to create a multiplayer demo in co-op mode? I've just tried playing back Looper's Episode 1 TAS CO for Doom and now I'm wondering which commands should I write in a shortcut to create this kind of demo. I know the only way to build it is to write input sequences for each player in XDRE, but it's another story.

I know we have -solo-net to play in coop alone, but why there are no "-duet-net" or "-quartet-net" commands?

I just open some random 4-player co-op demo with a hex editor and try to figure what each value mean. The first line of the demo file has all of the settings or so. I think I compare it to some ultra-violence demo, so I know what is the difficult setting, map number (pick a demo that starts from map 22 for example, so you can identify the number) etc.

I think I used Doom 2 Map09 4-player nomonsters demo to figure out what each number means.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:13 PM, Dimon12321 said:

If you're using a port that supports the original p2p network method, do the following:

• vanilla connected via IPX protocol, which is rarely use today. Most ports have converted to UDP or sometimes TCP/IP. Read your port's documentation to figure out how to get the game to connect across the network. Typically, on each PC's command-line you have to provide the IP addresses of all the other PCs
  • Also on the command-line, you can specify that you want to record a demo. You can record a demo on one PC, or all PCs if you wish. In this way, you can record the demo from each player's perspective.
  • Finally, avoid adding a -deathmatch or -altdeath switch. In absense of these, the game will start up in co-op mode. (Of course, the map must contain co-op starts for each player that wishes to play.)

"-solo-net" is technically not a network command. All it does is allow Player 1 to respawn at the Player1 start after death, without reloading the map. In other words, the game plays like it would if you were in a co-op game, without actually connecting to another machine. In "-solo-net" mode, when you die, you respawn at the beginning with the pistol, 50 bullets, and 100% health, but all dead monsters are still dead, all dropped items are gone, etc. This type of game can also be recorded, but, as with most game settings, you must restart the demo using the "-solo-net" switch (I think).

FYI

p2p is the original network methodology used in Doom. On the other end of the spectrum is Server/Client mode. p2p is typically a much more primitive method that is useful for 2-4 player local LANs, and 2-player dialup, where lag is unexpected and in-game joining is typically not allowed.

Server/Client is what is used for internet pickup games. The methods used to startup or join a co-op game in Server/Client mode may be very different per port, and different than in p2p mode, so you'll have to read your port's documentation.

@kb1 Thank you for your answer! Fortunately, I have already found what I was looking for. I can edit the movie header in XDRE 2.20 and set additional players up.

I don't understand much after reading your post. A step-by-step tutorial would be nice for other people. I'd rather download Zandronum and follow the instructions to set a server up or to connect to someone else if I want a coop or deathmatch. Nevertheless, I play every WAD in PrBoom+ if it's compatible when it comes to a single-player.