Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

1 hour ago, Dimon12321 said:

@kb1 Thank you for your answer! Fortunately, I have already found what I was looking for. I can edit the movie header in XDRE 2.20 and set additional players up.

I don't understand much after reading your post. A step-by-step tutorial would be nice for other people. I'd rather download Zandronum and follow the instructions to set a server up or to connect to someone else if I want a coop or deathmatch. Nevertheless, I play every WAD in PrBoom+ if it's compatible when it comes to a single-player.

Glad you found what you were looking for, of which I have no clue.

Let me guess:

So, you have a single-player demo. You want to convert this into what? A "-solo-net" demo. I guess you want to watch the demo until the end, and then pick up where that player left off...in "-solo-net" mode?

*Or* you're building a demo file from scratch? That's interesting! I know you said you found what you needed, so just a little bit of advice:

Check out d.net.c from the port's source, or, even better, from the original Linux v1.10 source code distro from id. This will show you all the header fields, their sizes, and which order the fields appear (some of them can be tricky). It will also show the the detail packets.

I say use the Linux source because the packets are more simple than PrBoom+ packets (PrBoom+ demos can also contain footer packets). Because PrBoom+ can playback original vanilla demos, you might as well use the simplest format :)

Please tell more about your project, if you have some time - it sounds interesting!

21 minutes ago, kb1 said:

Let me guess:

So, you have a single-player demo. You want to convert this into what? A "-solo-net" demo. I guess you want to watch the demo until the end, and then pick up where that player left off...in "-solo-net" mode? 

Please tell more about your project, if you have some time - it sounds interesting!

I convert it into a multiplayer coop demo. There are bytes in the .lmp header which show whether player 1-4 is active ("online" or something). Maybe, -solo-net activates on its own then. You change these bytes, save, playback your demo - and you see additional players standing dead on their tracks. If you run this kind of demo in XDRE, you can change player and edit his own input sequence. Alternatively, you can edit the header directly in XDRE.

Spoiler

814266827_.png.ac89247543e8b4014afd6ee82543a28e.png

851731155_.png.9a5f750835e804014ef9d82fbefa3f37.png

Looper made a Doom Episode 1 Coop tool-assisted speedrun in 2012 and it looks like a real multiplayer since there are additional enemies and new item placements. So I got curious about that and planning to make something similar one day.

Edited by Dimon12321

A little background on the -solo-net command:

Before this was introduced, it was possible to play/record/playback in one-player coop mode in prboom+, but it was messy. I gave some details in this post and the linked demo text-file.

How to watch this demo:

With this being a "1-player coop" demo, the standard way to watch demos doesn't work. You'll need these two *separate* command lines (or these commands in separate batch files) to watch it with prboom/glboom (one to start the server, the other to join it and play the demo):

c:\doom2\prboom_server.exe -N 1 -w ksutra.wad
c:\doom2\glboom -net localhost -playdemo kx04-002

Obviously to record or play, you'd adjust the command-lines accordingly in the obvious ways. I made a feature request to simplify all this to a simple command-line option, "-net1" (based on the name given to this type of demo at compet-n, such as this), and it was duly added. [Unfortunately, when it was later added into regular prboom, they for some reason renamed it to the clumsy and harder to remember "-solo-net", and this was forced upon prboom+ too.] It became even more convenient when the demo footer was added, since no additional command-line option was needed for playback. For playback of coop demos, there never was a need for additional command-line options, since it would be automatically detected as coop, from the fact there were multiple players. On the other hand, the binary format of a net1 demo is indistinguishable from a regular single-player demo, so the program needs to be told that it is a one-player coop.

Just wanted to clarify a few things, in particular that this is something that existed in Doom itself and isn't some weird thing dreamt up by prb+.

1 hour ago, Dimon12321 said:

I convert it into a multiplayer coop demo...Looper made a Doom Episode 1 Coop tool-assisted speedrun in 2012 and it looks like a real multiplayer since there are additional enemies and new item placements. So I got curious about that and planning to make something similar one day.

Ok, now I understand what you're going for. Sounds fun!

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

(A little background on the -solo-net command)

Thanks for the explanation. I thought its main purpose was to allow a single player to die and respawn at 50/100% without having to kill the same monsters again! (which is fun, especially if you're not that good :)

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but I'd like to suggest a possible feature for a future version. Given the way demos work, being a series of player inputs, would it be possible for the app to be able to / have the option to show player inputs during playback? 

In terms of specific things for me, it would really only be applicable to stuff like tight platforming stuff or tricks/tactics used in specific scenarios, sp as well as dm. (Though mp obviously not being a priority for this port)
On the more general side of things, it would be super interesting to be able to see the inputs people use for stuff both technically and aesthetically. I also think that bringing the inputs to the forefront like that could possibly(?) help to visualize for the uninformed/newer/casual crowd the importance and usefulness of demos, as well as their benefit compared to stuff like, say, videos, even if just symbolically, though to be fair that last point may be grasping straws a bit. To expand a tiny bit on that last point though, it is not uncommon for streamers attempting wr stuff for modern games to show inputs to help validate their runs, which is already what demos do, so why not show it?

In terms of how to implement it, I suppose icons that appear to show inputs being pressed would be the most straightforward way to do it, similar to how many streamers do for wr attempts on modern games.

Anyway, if this is a thing that we may possibly see in the future, I'd be very happy for it, but I'd also like to thank all who have put work into making this port, and others, what they are today. We have so many powerful and useful ports to use; it's truly a great time to be dooming, so thank you all for your hard work :)

XDRE already offers this. There is detailed information about using it elsewhere, but for the purpose you are asking about, pretty much the only function you need to know about is:

i        Go forwards one frame

Get it from here, unzip it wherever you like, and copy the wads and demos that you need into the same folder. Open XDRE with the relevant wad(s) loaded, like you would prb+. It opens two windows. In the xdre window, load the demo you want to look at, place the cursor in the "Input" box and press i to advance one frame.

There is more documentation included in the older DRE.

Hey Grazza thanks for the reply. While I've been corsorily aware of xdre for a while, I've never actually downloaded it for lack of interest in either building demos or analyzing them under such scrutiny as this does, however I'm happy to have been pushed to take the first step of downloading it and checking it out because it is incredibly interesting to be able to see demos play in this way and it's a good thing to be more than superficially familiar with. Needless to say after downloading it I both can begin to fully appreciate its power and am really confused on how to work it! Heh. But I did figure out how to press the "i" button so hey we're getting there.

That all said, while this is a cool program and does have the functionality (though I haven't found a way to just play a demo regularly through it yet, although maybe for that I need to use batch files for parameters? I just tested dragging and dropping for now thinking about it) that I'm looking for, the UI of it takes some getting used to I guess is a good way of putting it and being in a separate window... maybe I just need to find a better positioning for each but holding the "i" button and trying to watch a demo while also absorbing the inputs in any meaningful sense is gonna take some time I suppose.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be nice to have a ui to display this information in an easily digestible way, preferably within the port(s) (would be really nice to also get something like this for the mp ports, but one thing at a time) for simplicity's sake and likely easier absorption of the whole picture.

In my mind at least, the format for the ui is already present in many streams; seeing buttons light up to indicate what is being pressed and when is really cool, even if not super helpful wrt stuff like kaizo Mario hacks or other retro games to see how the inputs are timed and synchronized with one-another to do stuff, and while doom's inputs are basically just running, turning, firing and "using," it would still be a cool thing to see in order to get a picture of what the runner was doing as they did... run stuff. I assume like fancy footwork but then again I've yet to make a competitive run to put my name on sdsa, so shows what I know!

Again though, thanks for the push to check out xdre :) it's about time for me anyway and it is a really interesting program; I'll have to spend some more time with it.

It's a difficult concept in general, because of the speed of the inputs and the sheer number of them per second. To absorb the demo action, you kinda have to watch at 35 fps. But to comprehend the movements, you almost have to single-step through each frame. Maybe a type of slo-mo mode would be a happy medium?

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. To check out a specific move, you could fast-forward towards the move, then single-step to catch the exact timing.

In an in-game version, maybe some sort of listbox would be nice, where you could see the last few actions that occurred, and the next few waiting to occur, to provide a small window into the past and future.

An animated high-precision mouse overlay, with a few levels of translucent tracing might be nice too! The ultimate system would allow insert/delete of individual actions (and the mandatory takeover of the demo to avoid the inevitable desync, of course.)

Output tic commands to stdout, each tic a new line, and leave the command line in view. Easy!

On 7/20/2019 at 7:45 AM, Linguica said:

Output tic commands to stdout, each tic a new line, and leave the command line in view. Easy!

Actually, that would go hand in hand with a text mode demo format. Output in the same format as input - perfect for TASers.

I set the cap to 60 but it shows 33, I messed with VSYNC on/off, yes/no uncapped framerate but it still stays at 29-33

Thank you for telling me how to display it though... I was trying for a long time. 

2 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I set the cap to 60 but it shows 33, I messed with VSYNC on/off, yes/no uncapped framerate but it still stays at 29-33

Thank you for telling me how to display it though... I was trying for a long time. 

Apparently, 29-33 is as fast as your PC can update the game state and render the screen. Switching to a lower resolution is the easiest way to increase the frame rate. Complex scenes can also slow down the renderer.

For some reason it seems like PrBoom+ wants to run extra fast on my system (Ubuntu Bionic). Is there some well-known gotcha I've tripped over? The increased speed applies both to demos and to gameplay.

Have you accidentally hit the "speed up" key? In the ingame menus, go to:

OPTIONS -> GENERAL -> (second page): "Gamespeed, percentage of normal"

For normal play it should say 100.

You may wish to check which keys you have bound to "speed up", "speed down" and "reset to default" and make sure they are ones you are unlikely to press by accident.

4 hours ago, kb1 said:

Apparently, 29-33 is as fast as your PC can update the game state and render the screen. Switching to a lower resolution is the easiest way to increase the frame rate. Complex scenes can also slow down the renderer.

I think i shouldve left it at 320x200, it is the default vanilla setting.  I'm having a great time with prboom.. I opened the .cfg file and edited the opl_gain from 50 to  130

E2M2 seems louder now & E1M3.  But E4M6 & E2M4 is too low still... I wish there was a way to have it louder cuz i like using the OPL thing for the music.

It makes the game more vintage to me and I have tried sc55 music packs too.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

13 hours ago, Grazza said:

Have you accidentally hit the "speed up" key? In the ingame menus, go to:

OPTIONS -> GENERAL -> (second page): "Gamespeed, percentage of normal"

For normal play it should say 100.

You may wish to check which keys you have bound to "speed up", "speed down" and "reset to default" and make sure they are ones you are unlikely to press by accident.

Aaand that was it. Thanks!

I get this error when trying to use prboom+ as the testing port in Doom Builder X. Does somebody more knowledgable about the port know whether it is a DBX problem or PRB+ problem? I am very confused, especially since the last \ is a / and there is no filename to the .wad

Error.PNG.c4f7c3d9be5df8961d1cad828f90d4a3.PNG

NVM, it is fixed by saving the level to disk.

Hey folks, I'm using the latest PrBoom+, 2.5.1.5.

I'm trying to use SDL as my MIDI Player, as using PortMidi makes some music sound weird. (Like it's using different instruments).

The problem here is that music and sound are "linked" to eachother. So if I try to turn off music, there is also no sound.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Is there any way to make the TITLEPIC and endscreen display at normal size without having to make the hud absolutely massive because it displays in a smaller size compared to actual gameplay.

image.png.2f66bd078facfb432eaa67a1a1ab833c.png

Edited by 𝕲𝖗𝖎𝖒𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖚𝖗 : General stupidity

2 minutes ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖎𝖒𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖚𝖗 said:

I'm getting some input lag in PrBoom+. In GZdoom my game runs fine, except I have to turn off Vsync and live with the screen tearing to get no input lag. I'm switching from it to PrBoom+ because It gets laggy in some more detailed wads like Ancient Aliens. I've tried playing in smaller resolutions and windowed mode but no luck.

I'm thinking it's something to do with how PrBoom+ fixes screen tearing? Because I don't see any screen tearing in it even with Vsync turned off, and I'm thinking if I could somehow 'activate' screen tearing then I wouldn't get any input lag, since I really don't mind it that much anymore because I've gotten so used to it. I've noticed Zandronum doesn't have screen tearing either and it has the exact same input lag as PrBoom+ does.

...Or if that's not what it is then does anyone have any other idea?

...Also is there any way to make the TITLEPIC and endscreen display at normal size without having to make the hud absolutely massive because it's displays in a smaller size compared to actual gameplay.

image.png.2f66bd078facfb432eaa67a1a1ab833c.png

In General, you can change Status Bar and Menu Appearance to Doom Format or Stretch to Width, that will also affect the stats screens and so on.

Input lag is probably unavoidable when using VSync, I don't think there's anything you can do to get rid of it.

29 minutes ago, seed said:

In General, you can change Status Bar and Menu Appearance to Doom Format or Stretch to Width, that will also affect the stats screens and so on.

Input lag is probably unavoidable when using VSync, I don't think there's anything you can do to get rid of it.

Sorry, it turns out all that the 'input lag' I was talking about was is that I was just not used to the slightly different sensitivity levels of sourceports... that and I could swear that the movement feels different in PrBoom+ than in GZdoom but maybe that's just because it's more vanilla? That or I'm just going insane. I think it's the latter.

Changing the menu appearance to Stretch to Width makes everything huge and I want to keep the hud smaller while keeping the title screen and alike at their normal size... I'm guessing there isn't a way to do that though...

big.jpg.7286607e28b71b766cf5ad68aadc05fa.jpg

small.jpg.5a3f2b5112bc9e6b6122149f421985f0.jpg

7 minutes ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖎𝖒𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖚𝖗 said:

Sorry, it turns out all that the 'input lag' I was talking about was is that I was just not used to the slightly different sensitivity levels of sourceports... that and I could swear that the movement feels different in PrBoom+ than in GZdoom but maybe that's just because it's more vanilla? That or I'm just going insane. I think it's the latter.

Changing the menu appearance to Stretch to Width makes everything huge and I want to keep the hud smaller while keeping the title screen and alike at their normal size... I'm guessing there isn't a way to do that though...

Yeah, PrBoom's mouse does feel different, GZDoom feels more "raw", in a way, compared to it. You're probably just not used to it yet, all ports carry a different feeling (if you check Eternity and Choco those will likely also feel different to you).

There isn't afaik, PrBoom does not have any scaling options apart from those adjustments (I think that's what you're looking for, judging by your description). Of course Stretch to Width will do just that :p.

How do I run .OGG music pack files on prboom+??  I renamed all the .mp3s on the config to ogg, unzipped the music pack and dragged them on the proboom.exe.

I still get the same music & not from the one I just got from sc55 duke.

Found also a bug with prboom running sigil compat.wad.. in E5M4 after you get the orange key and head to the end of this trail with that long lowering platform, when you try to proceed after it lowers, it wont let you.  There is some wall in the bottem that didnt lower.

The Wall that lowers to hit the orange switch to lower the orange gate didn't lower either, I had to idclip to go to through.

I'm running the game on 83% speed so I havnt tried it on 100% speed yet. 

Edited by vanilla_d00m

I've never messed with the game speed in PrBoom, but I've beaten E5M4 a few times in PrBoom+ without any problems. Are you using the correct complevel? I'm pretty sure SIGIL is supposed to be played with complevel 3 (Ultimate Doom).

On 8/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, Rathori said:

I've never messed with the game speed in PrBoom, but I've beaten E5M4 a few times in PrBoom+ without any problems. Are you using the correct complevel? I'm pretty sure SIGIL is supposed to be played with complevel 3 (Ultimate Doom).

I still get the bug, i'm using ultimate doom, sigil compat wad.

prboom-plus-2.5.1.5.r4526-win32.zip is what I used.. is there a way to set vid_refreshrate to 60 on prboom? 

I used the same version of prboom with uncapped framerate. I would suggest to try 100% game speed and do make sure that you're using the right compatibility level. In my experience, things not lowering and/or switches not activating when they should is a sure sign of having a wrong complevel value.

1 hour ago, Rathori said:

I used the same version of prboom with uncapped framerate. I would suggest to try 100% game speed and do make sure that you're using the right compatibility level. In my experience, things not lowering and/or switches not activating when they should is a sure sign of having a wrong complevel value.

Agreed.

It's also telling because it's the only report of this issue as far as I'm aware. The command line (if using this method) should look something to the effect of "D:/PrBoom/prboom-plus.exe" -iwad doom.wad -file sigil_compat.wad -complevel 3