Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

It shouldn't be white though. The engine should average some colors from the sky texture to find something less jarring.

Guys. I'm playing with these settings for a long while, but now I got curious: Are they the best?

May you please examine them and suggest improvements? Maybe, a document that describes each option? GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4

Spoiler

settings.png.27d454908239c54d869ee989a8c417e0.png

They're alright, most of that affects the visuals anyway. Stuff like texture filtering, sector lighting, and resizing is up to personal preference.

You might want to change Smart Clipping to "Full" though, to prevent the bottom of the sprites look like they go through the floor and get cut-off.

@Dimon12321 It all depends on what you're hoping to achieve. I'd suggest putting multisampling to 4, unless you're using some external mode of anti-aliasing. It's a negligible performance hit and aliased geometry always looks bad. The standard GLBoom sector light mode is also the least attractive but fastest of those options. If playing with 0 gamma, I'd suggest Shaders for the best lighting or GZDoom for the best combo of atmosphere + visibility in dark areas. Regarding filters, If you're going to use them you're right in combining them with HQ Resize, although my personal opinion is that Scale3x looks better than 4x - which has too much texture sharpening. I actually don't know what Blend Animations does, but I've always had it turned on.

11 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

It all depends on what you're hoping to achieve. I'd suggest putting multisampling to 4, unless you're using some external mode of anti-aliasing. It's a negligible performance hit and aliased geometry always looks bad.

Tbh in Doom I find that simply using x16 AF works mighty fine to reduce the aliasing without any performance impact. Works great for me @1080p at least.

9 hours ago, seed said:

Tbh in Doom I find that simply using x16 AF works mighty fine to reduce the aliasing without any performance impact. Works great for me @1080p at least.

AF is not a type of AA, but rather a filter that makes sure distant textures, and especially flats don't lose their sharpness. It's very easy to see the difference in e3m1 at the start, where the fleshy floor loses its crispness and detail beyond a distance of ~4 meters with no AF. So basically, AF is great for textures but does nothing for jagged edges in geometry, which is what AA is for. I'd post examples but I'm afk at the moment and posting from my crappy phone.

I love jaggies! I play ports with 2x native resolution and GZDoom downscaled to that res, too! 

12 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

AF is not a type of AA, but rather a filter that makes sure distant textures, and especially flats don't lose their sharpness. It's very easy to see the difference in e3m1 at the start, where the fleshy floor loses its crispness and detail beyond a distance of ~4 meters with no AF. So basically, AF is great for textures but does nothing for jagged edges in geometry, which is what AA is for. I'd post examples but I'm afk at the moment and posting from my crappy phone.

I sure would love to know why everyone always feels the need to explain basic things like this to me every time I say something lmao. Do I really sound that uncultured sometimes?

Anyway, I know exactly what you're talking about fam. My point was that AF is usually just enough for me, and it also comes at no performance cost, which is not the case of AA.

Like Seed said, AF is great for improving visual quality while having almost no impact on performance.

In all honesty, many people still don't understand what the difference between "Antialiasing", "Texture Filtering" and "Anisotropic Filtering" (not saying you are one of those, so don't be mad ok :D ). Even I didn't truly understood the difference in the past either.

For those who want to know:

- Antialiasing is meant to smooth out "jagged edges" of objects, polygons, geometry etc. Very performance intensive.

- Texture Filtering is meant to smooth/blur the pixels on textures. I prefer turning it OFF (by OFF I mean for close range) for old 2.5D games like Doom, Duke3D, Blood, SW, Ion Fury etc. as textures become too blurred and loose their charm.

- Anisotropic Filtering is meant to improve the sharpness/resolution of far away textures. Very little performance impact so it should be almost always be set to maximum (16xAF). However, this requires turning on texture filtering. In GZDoom, I use "None (trilinear)" so that I get square pixels at close range while having no shimmering at far away textures.

Edited by ReaperAA

@seed My intention was not to sound patronizing to you but attempt to clarify the difference, as @ReaperAA did much better afterwards. I just quoted your post as a stepping stone into what I wrote. :P

3 minutes ago, Chopkinsca said:

I'm really liking this source port so far. Nice and light. Is there any way to disable infinitely tall actors?

Is this an April Fools' post?

Spoiler

No, there isn't, you want Eternity to achieve that.

3 hours ago, seed said:

Is this an April Fools' post?

No, why would it be? Everything works fine for me in PRBoom+ and a having infinitely tall actors is something I can deal with. I thought maybe a compatibility option might turn it off.

Unfortunately, PRBoom+ runs on some old tech that doesn't support fixed actor heights. IRC, even Crispy lets you turn it off these days, though I may be wrong there.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Crispy lets you turn it off these days

Yes

1 hour ago, Chopkinsca said:

No, why would it be?

Because you've been around for ages and ome would expect you to know prboom's limitations by now :D

17 hours ago, VGA said:

Because you've been around for ages and ome would expect you to know prboom's limitations by now :D

Fair enough. I've been a G/ZDoom pleb for most of my life and never really checked out other source ports.

50 minutes ago, lazy91geek said:

What's with all the infinite actor height hate? I love that shit.

It is not fun to get stuck under flying monsters or not being able to drop off a ledge because a few imps are down there. Also, doesn't it affect melee attacks and splash damage?

The issue is there are some maps even in the official iwads that rely specifically on the infinite height. Doom 2 MAP19 The Citadel would be an example: you can skip a portion of it by simply running over a fence of torches if you disable infinitely tall actors. That is not intended and may be confusing for unaware players. Custom maps for vanilla engines may have more serious bugs.

You can't use monsters as invisible walls, so if I was to implement over-under in a classic port, I'd make an option limiting it to moving actors.

Besides, decoration heights in Doom are unreasonable, so they'd require a workaround anyway.

On 4/2/2020 at 6:23 PM, lazy91geek said:

What's with all the infinite actor height hate? I love that shit.

Yeah man, it's either you go absolute classic in any port but ZDoom or Doomsday, or you go full modding with ZDoom or Doomsday lmao

Don't straddle the fence here, you either want mods or you want vanilla.

2 hours ago, hypoactive said:

Yeah man, it's either you go absolute classic in any port but ZDoom or Doomsday, or you go full modding with ZDoom or Doomsday lmao

Don't straddle the fence here, you either want mods or you want vanilla.

Black and white. Just the way I like it!

Anyone know how to run Multiplayer on PrBoom+? I got my ports forwarded and stuff, just gotta know what do I use to host games and stuff etc. etc.

PrBoom-Plus's netplay has been broken for a long time, and I don't think much effort was put into it.

You're better off with other ports. One option you could go with the client/server ports (Odamex, Session, Zandronum... going from most faithful to most powerful. The C/S branch of GZDoom is still in development, and I can't really recommend Doom Legacy or Doomsday for multiplayer (or much else?)). If you want a more classic setup, you could try Chocolate Doom (or the forks Crispy Doom and So Doom), the original DOS executables with XTTL's IPXSETUP using either Dosbox's IPXNET or Kali, either DOS Boom or DOS MBF with IPXBoom, or IIRC the last stable version of the original PrBoom (2.5). If you want an old school connection method with new school features, try the latest GZDoom or similar.

Unfortunately, I don't fully know what methods are the smoothest or the best. Classic ports suffer from the inability to use cheats (meaning you can't noclip if the path is blocked after you did), and the C/S ports lack multiplayer saving if that sort of thing interests you.

What's Session? For me netplay works in Graf's fork (SDL2), i've only tried connecting to the same machine. What's wrong? I believe to fix the player colors you need to change them in the automap or else everyone is green.

I'd recommend RUDE for netplay (being able to share backpacks and stimpacks and for the new UM skill with double monsters). But has anyone tried Zerotier? These days of confinement (corona) i don't feel like messing with my router configuration to join the choco master server.

For PRBoom+ it was the same as in PRBoom, there was a server exe and you had to use the command line or create shorcuts. But PRB was not meant to play online so you'd need to try with a VPN (Zerotier) i think. For RUDE it's better to use setup, you can join the choco master server.

Or use Odamex or Zandronum. Session???

14 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

PrBoom-Plus's netplay has been broken for a long time, and I don't think much effort was put into it.

You're better off with other ports.

mate, i said i just wanted the parameters to host a server. My loss if it doesn't work.

christ why do people think that instead of answering a question directly, they should turn peoples attention to something they don't care about. It reminds me of that one animation i seen where it was this guy just trying to buy something from gamestop and the employee is just screeching at him to sign up for a bunch of loyalty points.

if you don't know what the parameters are, don't bother answering. Until then, I'm still gonna look. I know how to run stuff, I've bothered around with a bunch of source ports, they work, but I'm curious to see how bad PrBoom is, not Zandronum or ZDaemon or whatever.

@hypoactive because people want to help. we have alot of newcomers in last years, and they often simply don't know what to choose. there are alot of sourceports, and it is hard to "get in" even for somebody expirienced in such things.

also, i have a small observation, and it works universally good in all communities: if you replying with something like "thank you for your help, but i want to know how to solve this exact thing", it works much better than telling others to shut up. but it is up to you, of course.