Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

On 3/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, ReaperAA said:

- Anisotropic Filtering is meant to improve the sharpness/resolution of far away textures. Very little performance impact so it should be almost always be set to maximum (16xAF).

You are aware that with texture filtering set to OFF, this option will have no effect whatsoever? What AF does is to improve the sampling of mipmapped textures, so if you only have the unfiltered base level there is nothing to work from. If you want your square pixels but still see the benefits of filtering to reduce aliasing, the recommended filter mode is: nearest for magnification, linear mipmapped for minification and AF set to the highest possible value, although 8x is normally sufficient. It's just something that most game engines never consider as a possible option because most developers assume that the setting for magnification and minification are to be the same.

25 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

You are aware that with texture filtering set to OFF, this option will have no effect whatsoever? What AF does is to improve the sampling of mipmapped textures, so if you only have the unfiltered base level there is nothing to work from. If you want your square pixels but still see the benefits of filtering to reduce aliasing, the recommended filter mode is: nearest for magnification, linear mipmapped for minification and AF set to the highest possible value, although 8x is normally sufficient. It's just something that most game engines never consider as a possible option because most developers assume that the setting for magnification and minification are to be the same.

Oh darn, I forgot about mentioning it. I actually use "None (trilinear)" texture filtering mode in GZDoom. That setting gives me square pixels at close range while having no shimmering at far away textures.

I edited my previous comment accordingly.

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Oh darn, I forgot about mentioning it. I actually use "None (trilinear)" texture filtering mode in GZDoom. That setting gives me square pixels at close range while having no shimmering at far away textures.

I edited my previous comment accordingly. 

Yes, that's the one I was referring to, it's definitely the best choice for square pixels because it still preserves the advantages texture filtering brings.

None (linear) looks less blurry at long distances so i think it's better. But all of them but none look pretty bad at mid-low resolutions.

18 hours ago, ketmar said:

@hypoactive

also, i have a small observation, and it works universally good in all communities: if you replying with something like "thank you for your help, but i want to know how to solve this exact thing", it works much better than telling others to shut up. but it is up to you, of course.

Yeah, good point. I shouldn't really have freaked out on @Danfun64

sorry bud, but still, i wanna know exactly how to even try

oh i meant when it comes to hosting a server lmao

thanks for telling me that though, i'll be sure to use it when i get the chance

Guys, could you please clarify one thing for me?

While TASing Maskim Xul I noticed that it takes much more time for PrBoom+ (and XDRE 2) to load a big demo because the maps are complex and they run under
-complevel 9. If I use -complevel 9 (to utilize some features) for Doom 2 or Limit-removing WADs (where -comp 2 is enough), will it load a big demo as fast as the same demo under -complevel 2?
Thank you!

P.S: here "big demo" means a long-term demo, like 30 minutes long or more.

I figured I would report a bug here (at least, I think it's a bug), and also mention how I was able to "fix" it:

PrBoom+ has this habit of rendering mid textures even if the floor sector is cutting it off. GlBoom+ doesn't have this issue, so this is something exclusive to the software renderer.

By accident I found a fix for this, which is to contain the mid texture inside of a small sector with a different light value.

See screenshot.
As you can see, the mid texture on the right is cut off at the floor sector (as it should be), while the ones on the left aren't.

unknown.png

Im having a problem with Prboom+ and glboom+ where my mouse movement is stuttering, and I cant find any mouse options in in-game menus or the CFG file, does any1 know what to do?

On 4/18/2020 at 11:03 PM, tgawt said:

Im having a problem with Prboom+ and glboom+ where my mouse movement is stuttering, and I cant find any mouse options in in-game menus or the CFG file, does any1 know what to do?

Have you tried both 2.5.1.4 as well as 2.5.1.5? I personally can't use 2514 anymore as the mouse is stuttering, but it works fine in 2515. Seems from as far as I know that Win 10 coupled with PR/GLBoom+ can cause issues sometimes. 2514 uses SDL 1 and 2515 uses SDL 2, seems SDL 2 can make a difference when it comes to this.

Does anyone know if there's a view distance limit for sprites in PR/GLBoom+ ? Seems so as I'm making a map now where the sprites disappear when I'm too far away. If so, is there a way to increase or remove the limit in this program or maybe there's another port where you can do this otherwise?

When i start Jenesis.wad i cant browse options. Keyboard controls don`t work. 

On 4/22/2020 at 4:01 AM, waverider said:

Does anyone know if there's a view distance limit for sprites in PR/GLBoom+ ?

I can confirm that some Pinkies are invisible at the start of Epic map05 until you move forward a bit in PRBoom+. Doesn't happen in GLBoom+.

3 hours ago, Zaratul said:

When i start Jenesis.wad i cant browse options. Keyboard controls don`t work. 

I guess you can browse options, but you won't receive any visual feedback, because non-red custom HUD fonts are not highlighted in PrBoom+. You may want to try the "new community fork" which fixes this by printing arrows next to the menu items:

Wierd, even if i use the 2.5.1.7 version i still have the same bug. What am i doing wrong?

47 minutes ago, Zaratul said:

Wierd, even if i use the 2.5.1.7 version i still have the same bug. What am i doing wrong?

Hm, strange. Are you sure this only happens with Jenesis? Could you possibly move your *.cfg files out of the way and try again?

So far it only happens with Jenesis. Also i deleted everything in my PrBoom catalogue and copied new files. Same thing, menus are still not working.

3 hours ago, Zaratul said:

So far it only happens with Jenesis. Also i deleted everything in my PrBoom catalogue and copied new files. Same thing, menus are still not working.

I was able to reproduce this, and if you delete the custom HUD font entries (STCFN*) from the WAD, the issue is resolved. So I think it's probably what @fabian suggested and there is no visual feedback.

7 minutes ago, fabian said:

But then it should be mitigated by using the .7um version. 

It is, yes. The blinking arrows highlighting the current selection appear.

12 hours ago, Zaratul said:

Note you have to press "enter" to bring up the change selection options. It is very disorienting without any visual highlighting so I think it's best to remove the custom HUD font if you must make changes while that WAD is loaded.

I dunno if it'll happen with this new fork but something that always put me off from PrBoom+ was its medicore controller support, especially when trying to play with an Xbox 360 or similar XInput controller since you couldn't use the D-pad and analog triggers, and button remapping was kind a hassle.

Better controller support would be wonderful, it's practically the one way I play Doom anymore. PrBoom-plus was woefully outdated on that front the last I checked, which is why I gravitate towards playing with ZDoom or Doom Retro, even though I prefer something demo compatible. Hell, I think even Chocolate Doom had better gamepad configuration support, albeit still limited to vanilla buttons.

I believe Eternity has better controller support while being at least vanilla demo compatible. You may want to look into that port.