Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

Thank you for the responses.

To be honest, I don't really understand the explanation.

Is what you're saying that the game state is updated 35 times a second, but the hud is calculated 1000 times a second (including every 0.01 seconds), and so there is a remainder problem...because 35 does not divide evenly into 100?

I can see how that would make a mismatch. I still don't understand why the display time at the exit can be different from one run to the next, when using the prboom-plus executable. Why is that not repeatable?

Ok separate question. I used the launcher to set the registry to call glboom-plus and use -auto when I double click a demo. If I double click a demo that's in my doom directory, it uses timidity like I want it to. But if I double click a demo in a zip file, it doesn't use timidity and I have to suffer the pause every time the music loops. I assume it has something to do with the active directory. Is there a way I can fix this?

Many thanks.

I was using an older version when I noticed this so I got the newest version (2.5.0.9 test) and the following problem/inconsistency remained.

On Windows 7, setting music card to 0 in the config allows me to have sound without music when using the PrBoom+ exe. However, that doesn't seem to be working for the GlBoom+ exe. Using the exact same setting there causes all the sound to go out, not just the music.

Is it a bug that the Gl+ version isn't working the same way for that as the Pr+ verson?

sector666 said:

On Windows 7, setting music card to 0 in the config allows me to have sound without music when using the PrBoom+ exe. However, that doesn't seem to be working for the GlBoom+ exe. Using the exact same setting there causes all the sound to go out, not just the music.

Is it a bug that the Gl+ version isn't working the same way for that as the Pr+ verson?

Both EXEs work in the same way for me. "music_card 0" disables only music. I checked with my CFGs and with default CFGs (they are created after removing)

emailking said:

Why is that not repeatable?

HUD level time indicator is updated every game tic in the latest build.

emailking said:

Ok separate question. I used the launcher to set the registry to call glboom-plus and use -auto when I double click a demo. If I double click a demo that's in my doom directory, it uses timidity like I want it to. But if I double click a demo in a zip file, it doesn't use timidity and I have to suffer the pause every time the music loops. I assume it has something to do with the active directory. Is there a way I can fix this?

Copy your timidity.cfg to default location 'C:\TIMIDITY\timidity.cfg' or create TIMIDITY_CFG environment variable with full path to timidity.cfg (TIMIDITY_CFG=D:\games\Doom2\timidity.cfg as example)

entryway said:

Both EXEs work in the same way for me. "music_card 0" disables only music. I checked with my CFGs and with default CFGs (they are created after removing)

I've tried checking on it some more, and on my system GlBoom+ still won't produce any sound at all when music_card is set to 0. I tried turning music and sound up to max in the in-game volume settings, and still there was nothing. I then set music_card to 1 in the config and the sounds and music were back again. I set music_card to 0 again, and both music and sound were gone again, even with both still set to max volume.

I don't understand why I'm getting this difference in GlBoom on my system, whereas setting music_card to 0 in PrBoom only mutes the music. I uploaded both configs I'm using in hopes that maybe you could figure out if I have something set wrong. The PrBoom config runs with sound and without music on my system, which is what I want. The Gl config runs with no sound at all on my system, even though the sound_card and music_card settings are the same as in the Pr config, as far as I can tell.

configs: http://www.mediafire.com/?x1k4b4n4vn19a

I downloaded the PrBoom+2.5.0.9 test version that I'm using on April 13th, though I doubt if there's been any changes done to the sound handling since then. Is there any chance that my sound card could be affecting this somehow? I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio.

Alt-Enter is more or less standardized shortcut for switching between fullscreen and windowed modes on Windows and Linux. Is there an analogue for MacOS? <Command+F>? What is <Command> in SDL terms then? KMOD_META or what? All sources I looked into (doom/quake123/ezquake/r1q2) do not have any shortcuts for switching between fullscreen and windowed modes on MacOS.

entryway said:

Alt-Enter is more or less standardized shortcut for switching between fullscreen and windowed modes on Windows and Linux. Is there an analogue for MacOS? <Command+F>? What is <Command> in SDL terms then? KMOD_META or what? All sources I looked into (doom/quake123/ezquake/r1q2) do not have any shortcuts for switching between fullscreen and windowed modes on MacOS.

For what it's worth, I just tried TF2 on Mac and it did not respect alt-enter either.

Could there be an option to have the game pause when PrBoom-Plus has lost focus?

I'm running Windows and I have a few programs that often need my attention so it would be great if my game paused automatically when their message windows popped up. Especially when I have PrBoom-Plus in fullscreen! I noticed in the changelog "Alt mouse handling: Do not grab mouse if the application has no keyboard focus." So maybe this annoying usability problem could be addressed, please.

Also, it's very nice to see mouse wheel support in PrBoom-Plus! If weapons could also be bound to the wheel button while maybe double bound to the keyboard I could retire my AutoHotKey script. Adding Next and Previous weapons would also make a gamepad very usable with some keyboard/gamepad remapping software like Joy2Key.

Finally, if Fluidsynth were added as being discussed in the "Modified prboom+ for producing videos" topic it would be a dream come true and I would flip! Oh I am so very excited for PrBoom-Plus!

Thanks!

I've added new video mode - "8inGL". It renders 8bit software surface in OpenGL mode (full screen quad). So you should not have any palette issues on modern systems and you are able to use VSync with "windib" SDL videodriver (vsync is main reason of implementation)

"8inGL" mode is slightly faster than 32bit software mode and even more faster if you have support for "GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object" extension (sure you have it), but much slower than 8bit of course (~2x).

You can set up this mode from in-game GUI or with "-vidmode 8gl" or "-vidmode 8ingl" command line switches.

Available only with glboom-plus.

HackNeyed said:

Adding Next and Previous weapons would also make a gamepad very usable

Added.

Running the latest test build. Whenever I change 'sector light mode' from "GLBOOM" to "GZDOOM" it immediately switches back to "GLBOOM". If I try again it will successfully change to "GZDOOM". However, after closing and launching PrBoom-Plus again, the sector light mode will revert to "GLBOOM".

Mike.Reiner said:

Running the latest test build. Whenever I change 'sector light mode' from "GLBOOM" to "GZDOOM" it immediately switches back to "GLBOOM". If I try again it will successfully change to "GZDOOM". However, after closing and launching PrBoom-Plus again, the sector light mode will revert to "GLBOOM".

Can't reproduce.

Do you have "gld_SetGammaRamp: hardware gamma adjustment is not supported" in stdout.txt?

entryway said:

Can't reproduce.

Do you have "gld_SetGammaRamp: hardware gamma adjustment is not supported" in stdout.txt?

Yep, it's in there alright.

Mike.Reiner said:

Yep, it's in there alright.

So SDL_SetGammaRamp fails for you. Does it happen on both fullscreen and windowed?

entryway said:

So SDL_SetGammaRamp fails for you. Does it happen on both fullscreen and windowed?

No idea, as I myself can no longer reproduce it, and "gld_SetGammaRamp: hardware gamma adjustment is not supported" has disappeared from stdout.txt.

Odd. I didn't update drivers or change anything on my system.

I get "Exiting on signal: signal 11" after opening the first door in Doom 2 MAP01 if I changed the video mode from OpenGL to any of the software modes via the menu beforehand, regardless of what the OpenGL surface option is set to. The software modes work fine if I set them, exit the engine, and restart.

Windows 7 x64 Home
GeForce GT 240 w/ 270.61 driver

Dragonsbrethren said:

I get "Exiting on signal: signal 11" after opening the first door in Doom 2 MAP01 if I changed the video mode from OpenGL to any of the software modes via the menu beforehand, regardless of what the OpenGL surface option is set to. The software modes work fine if I set them, exit the engine, and restart.

Fixed. Thanks.

That would be very convenient. Assuming it wouldn't use too much screen real estate.

This is a test version of prboom-plus with new music engine by Nicholai Main (natt):
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/prboom-plus-mus.zip

You are able to use three alternatives for MIDI: fluidsynth (disabled for Win9x), opl2 and portmidi. SDL_mixer code still also available. See "Prefered MIDI player" GUI option.

You can set up any sound font for fluidsynth with snd_soundfont config variable.

I was fiddling around a bit today with sound rate conversion. Prboom-plus uses linear interpolation for all SFX resampling and MP3/OGG resampling.

http://img861.imageshack.us/i/soundresampling.png/

Test 1 is with snd_samplerate = 44100
Test 2 is with snd_samplerate = 11025
Test 3 is with snd_samplerate = 48000
Test 4 is with snd_samplerate = 48000 and an alternate cubic filter instead of the linear one

The captures are all at 48000hz, the fixed rate of my sound card. The test isn't terribly scientific; it's just me running around a few maps making noise; not even -playdemo or anything. Oh, and the captures are music-free.

I don't know if it's worth any trouble really. I personally can't hear much of a difference between anything, not even the ringing 11khz tone that I'm supposed to hear in the first test.

I think I can get a bit more quality out of the linear resampler (at the cost of a bit of speed) by doing a few tweaks to it, but I won't be able to hear that difference either.

The cubic resampler was just something I whipped up in 5 minutes and is not likely correct at all (I have no idea why it notches at 7.5khz for instance), and is probably not worth pursuing.

It's not like the doom SFX samples are much quality anyway...

http://imageshack.us/g/197/48000sinc.png/

"linear" is the old (2.5.0.8) SRC algorithm
"linear_2" is a slightly tweaked version of the above. slightly slower (probably), gives slightly better rejection as well as eliminating the 11khz tone in 22khz and 44khz outputs.
"cubic" is a cubic interpolation.
"sinc" is a truncated sinc interpolation. too slow for its own good.

it's a recording of doom2 demo1, so all sounds are 11khz, so "perfect" would be nothing at all above 5.5khz.

i'll probably ask entryway to commit linear_2, but the rest aren't worth the trouble IMO. i can't hear the difference at all, and i doubt most other non-audiophiles can either.

Opengl issue ...

Download this and check map 17 sector 28. Sky is seen where grass2 should be. Not a problem in software.

Thought I'ld get back into doom recently so downloaded the latest version of my favourite sourceport, prboom-plus of course. I am on MacOS X and I did notice what I believe is a bug in the launcher. I copied across my doom.wad that I bought off steam and installed it correctly in my application support/prboom folder as instructed. On loading up the program however Ultimate Doom was grayed out as an option, and I had to select Doom which only gave me the first 3 episodes. By changing the complevel to ultimate doom I was able to access the 4th episode however this really isn't obvious to anyone who doesn't live and breath doom.

So whats going on here?

Thanks for that, I'll get onto him about it.

In the meantime, prboom crashed on me while running tnt.wad

I got this error

/Users/prenshaw/Desktop/Doom: line 4: 24998 Bus error ./PrBoom-Plus -iwad tnt.wad -complevel 4
logout

Any ideas?

Phil1984 said:

Bus error

Wrong MacOS version? PrBoom-Plus-2.5.1.0.dmg requires 10.6. Did you try PrBoom-Plus-2.5.1.0-OSX10.4.dmg?