PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Is anyone familiar with the following bug? I've had it happen a few times while playing in PRBoom+, and never in GLBoom+. Just recently, I was hosing down some dudes at the end of Alien Vendetta map04 with Plasma. Then suddenly, my Plasma started passing through the monsters and both myself and the enemies were under something like a ghost monster/noclip effect and could phase through walls. I quickly made a save, reloaded, and everything went back to normal, aside from a bunch of enemies being stuck on top of each other and near walls. So what's the deal with this?

Sounds like you hit an intercepts overflow.

Edited by Edward850
3 people like this

Something similar happened to me in AV too, in maps 22 at the end room, the moment I stepped inside that room everything including myself became ghosts, not sure what exactly caused that, and also in map 26. Casually has never happened to me with any other wads. Good to know the bug's name, not sure if I fully understand it but it's fine.

Unless you want to research intercepts overflows, or want to play back a demo that features one, it makes sense to turn off emulation of them.

Options -> General -> (five screens) ->

Warn on Intercepts Overflow: No

Try to emulate it: No

Or in the cfg:

overrun_intercept_emulate     0

(Keep spechits overflow emulation enabled - this one doesn't have any bad effects, and it avoids deyncs.)

The upshot then is that the map won't fall apart if you get an intercepts overflow, and your demo won't get trashed - you'll end up with a demo that will play back, albeit not with the vanilla exe.

Edited by Grazza
1 person likes this

Thanks for the advice @Grazza. I'd rather not have this happen while playing saveless near the end of the map.

Entryway please make it possible to play prboom-plus at 320x200, I'm dying here

1 person likes this

@Grain of Salt @Memfis with SDL2 (v2.5.15 onwards) and the SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP flag it should "just work", with a 320x200 texture being scaled up to your screen resolution by your GPU. Sadly though I wasn't able to convince @entryway to use it after he did the initial port to SDL2. Can't recall why, I believe it was ironically something to do with 320x200 on his computer not working. It didn't make a lot of sense, may be some Windows driver issue he has, perhaps. But until he comes around, I can't use prboom-plus in fullscreen mode: the "old" SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN method is broken (I believe its instruction to xorg to physically change the display resolution is confusing the window manager, and they end up fighting). The result is only being able to see about 25% of the top left corner of the player view: unplayable, and a regression from SDL1.2 which the window manager was able to cope with. But SDL2 just tells you to use SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP because the old way is deprecated. Fortunately though, thanks to rboom I almost never need to use prboom-plus at all, aside from the occasional demosync test for which I can stand to let it run in a window.

But you have my sympathies. :p If you are able to recompile the game, try this patch (for 2515-test), it may help you to run in 320x200 fullscreen.

diff --git a/src/SDL/i_video.c b/src/SDL/i_video.c
index f1f9bf6b..f63a04ca 100644
--- a/src/SDL/i_video.c
+++ b/src/SDL/i_video.c
@@ -1168,7 +1168,7 @@ void I_UpdateVideoMode(void)
   }

if ( desired_fullscreen )
-    init_flags |= SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN;
+    init_flags |= SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP;

// In windowed mode, the window can be resized while the game is
   // running.  This feature is disabled on OS X, as it adds an ugly

1 person likes this

The method in the thread Memfis linked to seems to work for me. Hopefully Entryway will come round, but this is fine for the time being. Thanks both of you.

does anyone else have problems with the demo playback 'seek' function (for lack of a better term)

i used to be able to press 'Insert' on the keyboard once, let the demo seek quickly through, and then press 'Insert' again to stop seeking and resume normal playback.

now it just seems to run away and seek all the way to the end, as if ive pressed 'End' but it skips the stats screen as well and ends the demo, putting me back on the title pic. is this because im trying to play back demos with saves & loads in them?

i just noticed in the usage.txt for prboom there's actually no mention of 'Insert' in the demo playback section that i can see :s

Edited by rehelekretep