Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

On 10/14/2018 at 7:38 PM, Spectre01 said:

I don't wanna start no thing here, but why is the sound stacking so awful? The options seem to be either to use 8 channels and get a lot of sounds cut off or using the default 32 and get your eardrums popped by alerting a group of Revenants. Even 5 Arachnotrons walking around is exessively loud and annoying. And don't get me started on playing Scythe map26 on anything above 8 channels. This is not an issue in other ports like GZDoom when using even 64 sound channels.

It's kind of a bizarre thing: When mixing multiple exact sounds that start at exactly the same time, it becomes very difficult to avoid audio clipping. Most sounds are recorded near the amplitude limit, so when playing 2 exact sounds at the same time, you're essentially doubling the amplitude.

More sophisticated mixers will scale each sound, and it's even possible to mix at a higher range, detect clipping, and scale the amplitude accordingly, not unlike a compressor. But even then, you have issues like the sounds being played at inconsistent different volumes. Fortunately, because there are usualy a lot of sounds happening at this time, it's not easily noticeable.

There are other approaches: One approach is to detect this specific case, and avoid mixing the same sound multiple times, and instead play the single sound at full volume. Another approach is to introduce a tiny random delay between the playing of duplicate sounds. If you don't use randomness, you end up with frequency-specific spikes that clip.

A final approach is pitch bending.

Unfortunately, no approach is perfect. It's something that I investigated a bit, a while back. I haven't heard of a lot of work being done in this area, but it's something that deserves some serious testing and study. Interestingly, vanilla Doom's "one sound per object"/"Silent BFG" limit allowed it to avoid this specific issue, whether it was intentional or not.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:17 PM, Grazza said:

That is exactly what is supposed to happen. It is not a bug. It also works that way in vanilla and choc. If you are not observing it, then it can only be due to different mouse sensitivity.

Thanks for confirming this. A fix for this wouldn't bother me in the least, but I imagine it would bother someone. It creates a bit of "hysteresis" - a series of "dead spots" that might help someone aim very carefully.

A menu option would make everyone happy, though.